New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Craigslist lens buying

Long Quang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Craigslist lens buying

Everytime I see something with a great price on craigslist, I lost it to someone else or got no response from seller

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Craigslist lens buying

Last weekend I stumbled on a listing on craigslist for an "F4 with six lenses..." I'm not interested in a film camera, even a highly regarded one like that but I'm always curious when lenses from that era are mentioned. I opened up the ad and quickly browsed the listing... in the middle of the list was an unsold Nikon 55 f/1.2 with a very fair price. Now I'm a big fan of older lenses and the 55 f/1.2 was the first fast lens produced by Nikon. I comes in a number of different versions. The early versions were all metal with scalloped focusing rings that I very much enjoy using. Of course, these older lenses don't fit modern DSLR cameras capable of metering with them so they need to be "converted." Nikon manufactured and made available a conversion kit which was essentially a newer aperture ring for installation on the older lenses. Obviously, I was curious whether this particular lens is the one many consider the gold standard, the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI. The C represents a new lens coating that was carried over into later lenses but was present only in this pre-AI lens. I checked the photos and sure enough it was the S.C. version. I already own one copy of that lens, but it is so rare I knew I wanted to buy this lens.

I drove twenty miles to Berkeley and met the seller in front of a coffee shop. He opened the bag to reveal a MINT condition lens, exactly the one I wanted. I slid some bills from by billfold and the deal was done. Was it cheap? No, but it was well below market in price and WAY above market in quality. I was lucky and craigslist was the only reason I found this lens...

My old one on the left, my new one on the right...

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N9imllC5RHg/U0HLGxFVJbI/AAAAAAAAXNc/UylVZofXYT4/s1000/50.1.4.SC.Two55.1.2.SC.jpg

Shot wide open on the way home... at an open house.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bSQSB2kmeNY/U0HNf-yCpUI/AAAAAAAAXN4/na8xaouI9ac/s1000/55.1.2.SC.HomeForSale.01.jpg

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:09 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Craigslist lens buying

I use the Chicago CL and I look at it daily. I have sold things over the years and gotten what I wanted, sometimes with a trade plus cash. It is really hit and miss because some items just don't sell.

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:55 PM
GRM
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Craigslist lens buying

In ten years, once I found a guy selling a 50 Summilux V2 and a Leica 35/2.8 with googles, both for $900 and both in almost like new condition.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM
seattlebruin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Craigslist lens buying

Somehow just found an ad for a 7D for $250 and immediately assumed it was a scam, but I clicked on it out of idiocy anyway

turns out it was a pawn shop with essentially no idea what they had and they just wanted to get rid of it. I happily swooped in and relieved them of that heavy, magnesium alloy burden

Sep 02, 2014 at 04:32 PM
normster

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Craigslist lens buying

I like hunting for older gear. I picked up a nice m6 with a 50 f2 that is the 1913-1983 version. I picked up a nice 500c kit as well. I always keep a eye on it cause you never know what deals will pop up.

Friend of mine scooped up the canon 50mm .95 for 1500 as well. It was perfect condition with a filter. Getting it modded to a M for his m9. I'm jealous. I've been keeping a eye out for a local m9 to pop up.

Jon

Sep 18, 2014 at 09:30 AM
vovkinson
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Craigslist lens buying

remarkable friendship!

He listed it at $750 but sold it to me @ $500, I sold it an hour later for $800 to a friend. Great deal for all.

Oct 07, 2014 at 06:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.