Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Craigslist lens buying

Long Quang
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Craigslist lens buying

Everytime I see something with a great price on craigslist, I lost it to someone else or got no response from seller

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Craigslist lens buying

Last weekend I stumbled on a listing on craigslist for an "F4 with six lenses..." I'm not interested in a film camera, even a highly regarded one like that but I'm always curious when lenses from that era are mentioned. I opened up the ad and quickly browsed the listing... in the middle of the list was an unsold Nikon 55 f/1.2 with a very fair price. Now I'm a big fan of older lenses and the 55 f/1.2 was the first fast lens produced by Nikon. I comes in a number of different versions. The early versions were all metal with scalloped focusing rings that I very much enjoy using. Of course, these older lenses don't fit modern DSLR cameras capable of metering with them so they need to be "converted." Nikon manufactured and made available a conversion kit which was essentially a newer aperture ring for installation on the older lenses. Obviously, I was curious whether this particular lens is the one many consider the gold standard, the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI. The C represents a new lens coating that was carried over into later lenses but was present only in this pre-AI lens. I checked the photos and sure enough it was the S.C. version. I already own one copy of that lens, but it is so rare I knew I wanted to buy this lens.

I drove twenty miles to Berkeley and met the seller in front of a coffee shop. He opened the bag to reveal a MINT condition lens, exactly the one I wanted. I slid some bills from by billfold and the deal was done. Was it cheap? No, but it was well below market in price and WAY above market in quality. I was lucky and craigslist was the only reason I found this lens...

My old one on the left, my new one on the right...

Shot wide open on the way home... at an open house.

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:09 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Craigslist lens buying

I use the Chicago CL and I look at it daily. I have sold things over the years and gotten what I wanted, sometimes with a trade plus cash. It is really hit and miss because some items just don't sell.

Apr 20, 2014 at 01:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ReneMurea
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Craigslist lens buying

In ten years, once I found a guy selling a 50 Summilux V2 and a Leica 35/2.8 with googles, both for $900 and both in almost like new condition.

Apr 22, 2014 at 04:32 AM
seattlebruin
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Craigslist lens buying

Somehow just found an ad for a 7D for $250 and immediately assumed it was a scam, but I clicked on it out of idiocy anyway

turns out it was a pawn shop with essentially no idea what they had and they just wanted to get rid of it. I happily swooped in and relieved them of that heavy, magnesium alloy burden

Sep 02, 2014 at 09:32 PM
normster

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Craigslist lens buying

I like hunting for older gear. I picked up a nice m6 with a 50 f2 that is the 1913-1983 version. I picked up a nice 500c kit as well. I always keep a eye on it cause you never know what deals will pop up.

Friend of mine scooped up the canon 50mm .95 for 1500 as well. It was perfect condition with a filter. Getting it modded to a M for his m9. I'm jealous. I've been keeping a eye out for a local m9 to pop up.

Jon

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password