Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

jeinovaa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

I have a 30" Dell display powered by a solid i7 rig (4 Ghz, SSD etc.). LR5 is quite slow on full screen, however I noticed that if I resize LR's windows from full screen to a smaller windows ~60% it absolutely flies. I'm talking about a night and day difference.

So my question is, should there be such a high performance increase from doing work in a smaller window or is there something wrong with my system? Because based on this experience my plans to change to a 4k display looks doomed.

Mar 27, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

Are you seeing LR slow at everything at full screen or just in some modes (Develop module, for example)?

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM
jeinovaa

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

Eyeball wrote:
Are you seeing LR slow at everything at full screen or just in some modes (Develop module, for example)?

I'd say everything. Changing modules, working in develop, library is faster.

Mar 28, 2014 at 06:02 AM
Milosh

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

I think a GFX card would have a lot to do with it. What brand/model are you using ?

Apr 02, 2014 at 07:03 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

jeinovaa,

I think I'm using a totally different system than you (OS X on a MacPro with an older video card - Radeon 5770), but I keep thinking the screen refresh is quite slow particularly at full screen. I'm using a 30" Cinema Display. There seems to be a fair amount of argument around here on just how much value faster/better GPUs add to Lr's performance. Many (I think including Bif who is never shy about his findings note CPU speed to be far more important than anything else. Very interested in what video card you are using.

Robert

Apr 03, 2014 at 12:56 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

I'm using a Dell 3011 with the Radeon 5770 with 2g on the video card. My system is a 3rd gen i7 at 3.9ghz with 32gb of memory. LR 5.3 runs rather quick on my system and screen refresh is very quick.

From what I've read on the Adobe LR Community, catalog size is critical along with optimizing the catalog regularily. My catalog is relatively small and on exiting LR, my catalog is backed up and optimized.

Hope this helps.

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

The problem is not writing to the screen per se, but creating and maintaining the image preview at high resolution, and applying all edit commands as each file is processed.

On top of that is a bug that affects some of us wherein an image displayed by Lr on a second screen can taken longer to render than it ought to - or it may not happen at all until you make some inconsequential change to force Lr to redraw the image. However, it seems that most people never see this problem even when they are using the same computer and monitor and graphics card, so I don't know what the cause is and nor does (did) Adobe. It is not consistent but luckily for me I'm not the only one to experience it.

- Alan

Apr 06, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Screen size slowing LR5 down?

mogud wrote:
From what I've read on the Adobe LR Community, catalog size is critical along with optimizing the catalog regularily.

I don't doubt for a moment that many people think catalog size makes a big difference but I can't see how it would contribute more than a tiny delay for Lr to find the data that it needs. More likely, apart from bugs in Lr, is the speed of reading the data from the storage and writing back to it. Even the location of data on a hard drive affects transfer speed more than most people are aware of (inner tracks tend to be slower on average than the outer tracks, with the difference being up to a factor of two - better to use fewer tracks and only the outer tracks, so if you want 1TB then create a 1TB volume on a 2TB drive rather than use a 1TB drive).

- Alan

Apr 06, 2014 at 01:47 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.