FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

LeifG wrote:
It is indeed a generalisation, I'd give you a Toffee if I had one. But is it for the most part correct?

I feel that KR has a target audience, and Thom must have an audience in mind. I tend to think he has a fan club, who send him emails, and that is how he gets a view of the outside world.

We can all speculate on that any way we like I suppose ... it does not prove or disprove any of it. But when you consider the odds, speculation typically is inaccurate at best.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

Steve Perry wrote:
Sorry, viewfinder hours? To be blunt, that's just crazy.

I spent 7 days (yes 7) trying to get ONE photo last week in valley of fire (that I'll hopefully get around to posting soon). I was waiting for just the right sky. It was clear 6 days straight and I only spent an hour or so with the camera actually out of the backpack. I guess, according to Thom, I should have been spending my time banging out mediocre shots all week so I could brag about how much time my eye was actually on the viewfinder? Is that right?
...Show more

Hi Steve ... I see your point ... wrong metric ... but looking beyond the metric, he does have a point even if he did use a poor analogy to make it. Funny thing is, the first thing I thought of when I read "viewfinder hours" was landscape shots where I spend tons and tons of time setting up to get that one shot, take with a remote release no less. And then I thought of sports where I spend hours getting tons of shots only to throw most away because there are those few that have everything perfect and tell the story.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

Andre Labonte wrote:

We can all speculate on that any way we like I suppose ... it does not prove or disprove any of it. But when you consider the odds, speculation typically is inaccurate at best.

If we removed speculation from this forum, it would be almost empty. And that includes most of your comments.

The articles by Thom used to be informative, to the point, mainly technical reviews. I liked them. Most articles now are either "What Nikon is doing wrong", or statements of the obvious.

There have been comments from people about his images, and I do wonder what he sells. After all, I listen to John Shaw because he produces beautiful images. Does Thom? I don't want to do the man an injustice, but I'd like to know.

Mar 27, 2014 at 07:07 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

Steve Perry wrote:
Sorry, viewfinder hours? To be blunt, that's just crazy.

I spent 7 days (yes 7) trying to get ONE photo last week in valley of fire (that I'll hopefully get around to posting soon). I was waiting for just the right sky. It was clear 6 days straight and I only spent an hour or so with the camera actually out of the backpack. I guess, according to Thom, I should have been spending my time banging out mediocre shots all week so I could brag about how much time my eye was actually on the viewfinder? Is that right?
...Show more

No. He is suggesting that people actually get out and look for images with a camera at hand. Images captured is not a metric he is looking for. He is suggesting that people actually do what you have done. Read his post.

Mar 27, 2014 at 08:01 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

If my eyes are open that's viewfinder time. If I have a camera with me I might take a photo if I see it. If I have a phone with me I might take a photo if I see it. If I don't have any camera with me I'll make a note and come back to take a photo.

I don't see what this "metric" is supposed to do and how to measure it unless we're talking about people that take a camera out of the bag once a week and decide that they will "go out and take photos". Probably of some ducks and flowers.

Mar 27, 2014 at 08:16 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

RoyC wrote:
No. He is suggesting that people actually get out and look for images with a camera at hand. Images captured is not a metric he is looking for. He is suggesting that people actually do what you have done. Read his post.

Yeah, I jumped the gun a bit. I did read it, but took it the wrong way.

Mar 27, 2014 at 09:43 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

LeifG wrote:
If we removed speculation from this forum, it would be almost empty. And that includes most of your comments.

The articles by Thom used to be informative, to the point, mainly technical reviews. I liked them. Most articles now are either "What Nikon is doing wrong", or statements of the obvious.

There have been comments from people about his images, and I do wonder what he sells. After all, I listen to John Shaw because he produces beautiful images. Does Thom? I don't want to do the man an injustice, but I'd like to know.

Ah, I see what you are getting at. That's fair. I have to agree, there has been a shift in his writing ... not that I completely disagree with him, but it should not be to the exclusion of the good solid technical content he used to post on a more regular basis.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

Thank you Andre. Yes, I sometimes agree with his writing, not that I know much about running a business etc.

Mar 27, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

I'm not sure it is meant to be taken literally, it is more about questioning the credibility of people that don't actually get out and shoot much but post opinions/reviews/whatever.

Aside: do we seriously need a thread each time he posts something? He is well known enough that the people that want to read his stuff probably follow him and the people that don't... don't.

Mar 27, 2014 at 05:25 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

Mark_L wrote:
Aside: do we seriously need a thread each time he posts something? He is well known enough that the people that want to read his stuff probably follow him and the people that don't... don't.

I agree. Besides it gets in the way of discussing Ken Rockwell.

Mar 27, 2014 at 05:42 PM
maljo
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Thom Hogan: track your "Viewfinder Hours"

Remember: It's the fought that founts!

Mar 27, 2014 at 07:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.