Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Some family portraits

FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some family portraits

Some portraits of my family members...
I'm not that experienced with portraits, so all suggestions regarding composition/lighting/technique/etc are welcome, so I know what to look for next time. I'm not trying to do much 'beauty retouching' in terms of making people look slimmer or anything like that.

All with Canon 5D and new-to-me Sigma 35 1.4 and Canon 85 1.8. No flash, just ambient/window lighting. All cropped in somewhat, so there is room to re-crop if you think so.

#1 - Generations

#2 - Old Love

#3 - A Helping Hand

#4 - Really bugs me that I missed the focus on the front eye... but i think the lighting is okay... any suggestions?

#5 - "I always prefer the academic look," he says

Edited on Mar 27, 2014 at 01:11 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2014 at 06:46 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some family portraits

Prime tip for portraits, be wary of background clutter and distractions. Where possible, position and compose to avoid visual clutter and distractions. If unavoidable, try to use a wide aperture to throw the background as far out of focus as possible. Note this is generally easier with larger format sensors, longer lenses and wide apertures.

Another portrait tip, it often helps to knock back the red/magenta that can give skin a less appealing hue. In Photoshop, a bump of the hue between +2 and +7 in a Hue/Saturation layer is often an visual boon.

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:52 PM
howephillip

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some family portraits

AuntiPode wrote:
it often helps to knock back the red/magenta that can give skin a less appealing hue.

This!

Try adjusting the WB on camera a little bit. Shooting subjects with glasses can also be difficult. (#4 in particular) I'm guessing she was looking toward the window. Try moving the subject's head or moving your camera slightly to eliminate most of the reflections. Investing in a 5-in-1 is always a good idea.

Mar 27, 2014 at 01:49 AM
vineetrad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some family portraits

All of the above but I really like 2 and 3 for the moment you've captured which is most important IMHO when it comes to a portrait.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some family portraits

vineetrad - thanks! glad you liked them!
AuntiPode and howephillip - thanks for the tip on WB. Here are three adjustments with the WB Tint slider (Lightroom) dialed back. Too far?

About the hue adjustment, is that ALL hues or just RED hues?

#2 - Edit1

#3 - Edit1

#4 - Edit1

Mar 27, 2014 at 01:21 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some family portraits

The point about hue is that most folks find caucasian skin looks better with less magenta and a bit more yellow than most camera manufacturers seem to provide by default. It's also not a question of color accuracy, as I learned by experience as a portrait photographer. Perfect color balance does not mean subjects will like the rendition of their skin hue. For most people, having a pleasing skin hue is more important than having an accurate one.

Mar 28, 2014 at 03:05 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some family portraits

Makes sense... how do my latest edits look... pretty close? too much?

#2 edit has just the magenta decreased on the WB.
#3 and #4 edits have the WB magenta decreased and the WB Temp increased.

Mar 28, 2014 at 03:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some family portraits

Last one might be slightly too much, but the best arbiters are the subjects. What versions do the subjects prefer?

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:42 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password