Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

myam203
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

I can edit through a wedding fairly quickly (some might say cull), but when it comes to processing and making tweaks, I have a hard time doing it in batches. I always feel like I want to give my shots some individual attention by maybe brightening up faces or fiddling with color and contrast, but then the whole thing takes forever.

How far do you take it? Where do you draw the line in terms of what's good enough for a delivered file versus maintaining an efficient workflow?

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Think about it this way. Take the processing and / or time to process necessary to produce the product you are proud of.

Different photographers will take different amounts of time to process a wedding. They will also deliver different images, with different styles and quality level.

It's your name, your photography, and your clients.

How far should you go?

It's completely up to you.

Sam

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Thanks Sam. I know everyone does it differently and that's exactly what I'm asking about. More specifically, I'm interested in how much attention each image receives.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

There is a bigger picture (no pun intended) aspect here.

The more consistently you shoot, like manual exposure for one, it is easier in post.
It is easier in post to perform batch processing (except crop) because the images have more in common as far as exposure/WB/tint.
For example: shooting AV mode with Spot AF and you are going back and forth between the white dress and a brides maid dress that is dark. Except the AF is picking up the white dress and dark dress and since it is in spot mode, the exposure is being adjusted for you. You don't catch this while shooting, the exposure levels will be different.

(Note: you can automate cropping too.)

Post Processing is getting the images to a standard color-corrected baseline. From there, it depends if you have a client that requires skin smoothing or hair removal .... something extra.

Question you have to ask yourself:
1) Are you going to spend the time and process each one?
2) Are you performing this for free or as additional service?

Consistency from shot to shot is important for many reasons:
Skill in your craft, post processing (time, speed, money, delivered goods), a lesser extent - your ability to see - what? if you are not concerned with exposure you can concentrate on shooting the moment.

Another aspect is different levels of processing for different deliverable images.
Do you process the same for sneak peaks, delivered images, images chosen for the album and images that show up on-line (your website/blog)?

For me: the sneaks get the basic color correction/B&W/crop stuff.
Delivered images go up a notch from the sneaks. This include consistency of images through out the day.
Images for albums and my website receive more additional attention.

Hope this was not too confusing ... as in my writing skill being poor.

Edited on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Ziffl3 knows what's up. RAW gives you a lot of latitude. But getting the shot right the first time saves in post.

I do individually look at each image and make sure they're all spectacular, but using hot keys and having a system for backing up, importing, culling, editing, flagging/marking the images for different purposes, etc., really speeds things up.

Last wedding my wife and I snapped around 2,200 shots. I culled in an hour. Edited in 4.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:24 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

I do basically the same thing as Mark (Ziffl3). I think another key thing (for me) is that my blog and album images (which do get extra attention) do not look THAT different than the rest of the images. I've never had a client come to me after the whole set is delivered and ask why only a certain number of their photos received extra editing.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Middle/end of 2012 through mid 2013 I spent focusing almost specifically on getting correct WB and exposure in camera. I did that by shooting in M exposure mode and K white balance only. As my exposures and WB got more consistent. I kept tweaking my Lightroom develop preset. A lot of my normal shots don't need any adjustment past my preset. I only really spend time on the B&G portraits or images that will go on the blog.

That for me is what made the biggest difference in my editing speed

Mar 26, 2014 at 01:14 PM
Josh Jones
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

I always do a gut check before I go too far in depth into the editing side. Will the bride really like this image more than others? Is it something I want to display in my portfolio or blog? If it's one of those, or both, it might get a bit more attention on the editing side of things. There's no use spending hours going through all the dancing shots to smooth skin, perfect the lighting, and remove any distracting elements in the background when they are most likely just going to flip though it quickly in a slideshow a few times after the wedding.

It takes me on average 45 minutes to cull a wedding (down from 1600-2700 images shot to 600-900 image to edit), and another 3-5 hours to edit them all. It's very rare when any image gets more than 30 seconds of editing to it - Shooting well is the best thing you can do to help your editing times.

Mar 26, 2014 at 01:20 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Biggest time saver for me is, when I'm shooting a wedding, to treat it like I'm shooting film. WB, exposure, framing and focus all need to be dead-on.

Color correction (i.e. presets) is the easy part. What kills me in post in making individual crops, changes to exposure, boosting shadows, etc.

Mar 26, 2014 at 03:33 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Last wedding my wife and I snapped around 2,200 shots. I culled in an hour. Edited in 4.

Someone's laughing all the way to the bank.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Thanks guys. I think the biggest tip for me is to get it right in camera... I'm not sloppy, but I do run and gun and could work on keeping everything more consistent and controlled.

Mar 27, 2014 at 05:03 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

D. Diggler wrote:

Probably his wife. Then after leaving the bank going straight to the mall!

Mar 27, 2014 at 06:40 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Scott Mosher wrote:
Probably his wife. Then after leaving the bank going straight to the mall!

I used to love clothes shopping at the mall! Haven't been able to afford the mall since I got into this line of work.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM
MVestergaard
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

The editing is always, for me, something that is included.
I edit each shot. Tweak colors etc. But skin retouching is only on a selective few.
I'm a bit of a geak when comes to editing... it has to be juuuust right!!

Think I spend around 10min on each shot. Give and take.
Think that I spend approx 10 hours on editing a wedding.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

D. Diggler wrote:

I never know if you're being a smart*ss, or taking a piss. Haha.

I'll assume both, and tell you that I like your sense of humor.

Keep in mind, too, that many people who are good in their field (not that I'm amazing, but I don't think I suck) are quick and efficient. That's the name of my game. Under-promise, over-deliver, impeccable communication and timely delivery with a focus on being detail oriented.

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

MVestergaard wrote:
The editing is always, for me, something that is included.
I edit each shot. Tweak colors etc. But skin retouching is only on a selective few.
I'm a bit of a geak when comes to editing... it has to be juuuust right!!

Think I spend around 10min on each shot. Give and take.
Think that I spend approx 10 hours on editing a wedding.

10 min each shot = 6 images per hour. 10 hour = 60 images.

Something doesnt add up? Or are you really only delivering 60 images?

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM
MVestergaard
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

Give and take.
I usually deliver around 100 images.
The top 100 of the wedding, all individually corrected. Yes takes forever.
Some images 5 min, others 10 and the ones in between.

Mar 28, 2014 at 06:17 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

I typically cull my entire set first down to a solid 200-300 images depending on how large the wedding was. I dont usually like to go more than 200. I feel that too many images causes standout images to get lost and lose their meaning however I also understand that many clients still perceive value in how many images are delivered. That though is an education issue that is typically covered during your initial consultation I feel, setting expectations.

Once I get my set culled to my final amount then I go through and start grouping my set between:

- Pre Ceremony (Getting ready)
- Ceremony
- Bride and Groom Portraits
- Post Ceremony (Reception)

Each set I choose a basic preset for levels, contrast, white balance ect, then I choose a favorite image to edit further in light room. Once I am happy with that custom preset then I apply it to the entire set. I repeat this for all groups so that each group is consistent.

Once I have done that then I go back and edit Bride and Groom portraits individually in Light room and then in Photoshop where I do more custom edits with levels, curves, skin correction and color toning more unique to my brand. I also repeat these same steps with standout images from each of my other 3 groups and include all my standout images and B&G images in a photographers favorites group. These images are also ones that I will use in my portfolio and on my website and facebook postings.

Mar 28, 2014 at 08:59 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Post Processing - How far do you go?

nextelbuddy wrote:
I go through and start grouping my set between:

- Pre Ceremony (Getting ready)
- Ceremony
- Bride and Groom Portraits
- Post Ceremony

I've actually got the wedding day broken down into something like 30 different categories! Not that I separate the day into all those anymore. But, over the years, I did come up with the 30ish categories that I've used at one time or another to group the pictures into.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.