Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

wolfloid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

I seem to remember Makten going for a Sony A7 and using it with the small Leica or Rokkor 40/2. I also know that he has been on the search for the perfect, simple, high quality set up for his type of photography, and i wonder if this set up has proved to live up to his hopes. Any feedback?

Mar 26, 2014 at 06:49 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

You could try reading his blog at http://www.fotosidan.se/blogs/hertsius/index.htm

It is in Swedish, so if you don't read that, you might need a translation engine. It appears that he has been trying the Zeiss 35/2 ZF again, so maybe the 40mm wasn't quite enough?

Mar 26, 2014 at 07:33 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:11 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

Sebboh will now have that setup if you want a second opinion.

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:59 AM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

there's the translation
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotosidan.se%2Fblogs%2Fhertsius%2Findex.htm

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

It's a good rig better without the R

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

I have been playing with it for a few days. posted this on the other thread yesterday: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1240083/3#12230511

I also took the same shots with the contax g 45 and rx1 for comparison that I can post if you're interested. haven't had a chance to take any real infinity landscape shots with it yet, but in my initial tests it performed just as it did on film (i believe you used on film?).

my recollection with regard to makten is that he was annoyed by the field curvature of the 40 cron.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

How does the CV 40 Nokton compare to the 40 Cron or the G45? I've been using it(CV 40) as a BW walk around on my A7, and I love the size! It produces some really good sooc BW so far!! It's pretty sharp wide open, too. I haven't tried the others yet, but if anyone has knowledge of all three(Derek?), I'd love to hear!
Gregg

Mar 26, 2014 at 07:08 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

I have the 40/2 Summicron-C, but I actually haven't used it much on the a7. Because its performance isn't up to what I'm used to with FF cameras and "good glass". There's a ton of curvature of field and/or lack of border resolution, and contrast is fairly low. But the colors and character is nice and smooth.

I like the Voigtländer 40/2 much better, even though it's larger with the Nikon F adapter. Also, the Voigtländer 40/1.4 Nokton is kind of nice with high contrast, great colors, but a terrible "midzone dip" in resolution. Sort of the same as with the Summicron-C, but three times worse.

The Zeiss 35/2 ZF/ZE beats them hands down and is still one of the best lenses I've owned. But it's huge on the tiny a7 and the only reason I got it, was that it's smaller than the ZF 35/1.4.

Edit: If you want something fairly small, fairly sharp and fairly affordable, get the Ultron 40/2. It's not the best lens for any particular job, but quite good most of the time. And very predictable.

Mar 26, 2014 at 07:54 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

Greggf wrote:
How does the CV 40 Nokton compare to the 40 Cron or the G45? I've been using it(CV 40) as a BW walk around on my A7, and I love the size! It produces some really good sooc BW so far!! It's pretty sharp wide open, too. I haven't tried the others yet, but if anyone has knowledge of all three(Derek?), I'd love to hear!
Gregg

makten has more experience with the CV 40/1.4 than me and his discription fits what i've seen. i'll add that the CV 40/1.4 has better ergonomics than the 40 cron – it has a better focus tab (i actually took the focus tab off my 40 cron and replaced it with one similar to that of the CV) and much better aperture ring that has wings. i find that i often end up sticking a finger in the frame changing aperture on the cron.

here are the full sized comparisons of the rx1, 40 cron, and g45 at f/4 (where i think the most useful info is):

rx1
40 cron
g45

the 40 cron has mexican hat field curvature – focus distance curves inwards in the midframe and then back outward at the extreme corners (this is more obvious at infinity than in my test shots). this leads to a distinctive look for some shots, makes pictures of walls unsharp somewhere, but can be compensated for to get cross the frame sharpness for landscapes when you stop down a fair bit.

edit: the g45 is exceedingly sharp and zeissy, great for landscape and extremely compact. i find it too harsh in many situations though and dislike the hexagonal bokeh. the rx1 lens is definitely the best 35mm lens i've used in pretty much every way.

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

Thanks Derek, and Makten...
I find the 40 Nokton works very well for people shots, especially WO or stopped to f2, and in BW, at least in my limited experience. It's fairly sharp stopped down, but I don't think it can hold a candle to my CY 35-70 in those regards, which excels in stopped down shots, across the whole range.
But, the size makes it a no brainer for a walk arounder!
Gregg

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:48 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

I have and use the Ultron 40mm f2 on my Canon 5DII and am very familiar with it. I like it a lot, but am now trying out the Canon 35mm f2 IS, and find that it is sharper at f2, a little sharper at f2.8 and because of the autofocus, definitely sharper in low light, even though I use a Maxwell screen with the Ultron.

I suppose I was reminiscing about the delightful drawing of the Rokkor m 40/2 on my M6 images and hoping that it would also be capable on a higher MP digital sensor. If I get the A7, or its follower, I will obviously try both 40s out, as well as my 35 lux asph and the Canon 35 IS.

Mar 27, 2014 at 06:51 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

How about the Olympus OM 40/2 ? that's a sweet little lens, pretty small too.

Mar 27, 2014 at 09:09 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Calling Makten. Sony A7 (r)? Plus 40mm f2.

Makten wrote:

Edit: If you want something fairly small, fairly sharp and fairly affordable, get the Ultron 40/2. It's not the best lens for any particular job, but quite good most of the time. And very predictable.

+1

Mar 27, 2014 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.