New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

I thought the camera won't let you select faster than 1/160th with a flash on?

Anyone try the Godox v850 on the a7 series?

webmstrk9 wrote:
All - my apologies, I just retested, there is a black bar at 1/250th, at 1/200th it is fine.

May 06, 2014 at 01:48 PM
phuviano
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

Ok, so I'm going to reply to my own thread.

I ended up buying yongnuo 560 iii (2 of them), and an rf603 ii (1 piece). Triggers the flashes fine. Max sync speed is 1/200. You can shoot at 1/250, but you have to slightly crop off the top of the image.

Fyi, for anybody that's interested. The equipment I mentioned requires no modifications, no adapters, and best of all, no receivers required for the flash, since the 560 iii's have them built in.

Only slight issue I noticed. You need to push in the rf603 ii pretty firm into the hotshoe on the A7, otherwise it might not trigger the flashes.

May 06, 2014 at 07:50 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

phuviano wrote:
Ok, so I'm going to reply to my own thread.

I ended up buying yongnuo 560 iii (2 of them), and an rf603 ii (1 piece). Triggers the flashes fine. Max sync speed is 1/200. You can shoot at 1/250, but you have to slightly crop off the top of the image.

Fyi, for anybody that's interested. The equipment I mentioned requires no modifications, no adapters, and best of all, no receivers required for the flash, since the 560 iii's have them built in.

Only slight issue I noticed. You need to push in the rf603 ii pretty firm into the hotshoe on
...Show more

Any chance you could upload one of those images at 1/250...on the RF602's the banding is almost half the frame @ 1/250, but with the half-pressed trick @1/200 there's no banding. I'd prefer not to have to mod anything...

May 07, 2014 at 06:23 PM
phuviano
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

First picture is 1/200, second is 1/250. Both shots were handheld, so slight movement on my part.

May 07, 2014 at 07:16 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

Pixel King TTL looks promising.

I just got a set of Pixel Kings. They seem to solve every problem, and the transmitter is a nice light unit on top of the adapter -- even better than the F20AM since it has to be popped up to be on.

I'm not sure what the TTL delay is because it's fast enough that I cannot notice it. They sync with the F43AMs to 1/8000th just fine with no loss of frame (even with EFCS on), and if I put the flash in PASM mode, the Kings respect TTL, manual, and multi modes.

May 07, 2014 at 07:50 PM
adrianjking

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

Thanks! I got the adapters and it works great. Sync at any speed. Excellent.

May 09, 2014 at 03:49 PM
Nordentro

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

Is HSS working nicely with both A7 and A7R with the Pixel King set?

Oct 27, 2014 at 02:16 PM
MichaelTapp

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

Does anyone know if the Odin trigger works with the a7s? Which flashes are compatible with the a7s? I'm looking for a wireless solution for the a7s and someone said that the hotshoe is different on the a7s.

Nov 11, 2014 at 03:24 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

For other cameras + purposes I have a fleet of PocketWizard PlusX's. You get acceptable sync on the a7r to 1/200th as others have found using different triggers. Been awhile since I've used them on the a7r, will do some test shots.

Nov 11, 2014 at 06:40 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

I use three Yongnuo YN-560III and a YN-560TX controller. Like previously mentioned, you can only sync up to 1/200, but I've had some outstanding results with this setup. I wouldn't worry about not having TTL as when working with multiple off camera flashes, manual gives you much better control and consistent results.

Best of all, the price is unbeatable with this combo. I think you can pick up YN-560III on ebay for about $70 each, then the 560TX controller for about $50. The only time I miss my SB-910 and D700 is the rare time I need TTL when I'm using single flash mounted on camera.

Nov 11, 2014 at 07:45 PM
MichaelTapp

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

I'm going to be doing street portraits with one off camera flash, so I need to be quick!

I'm thinking about using the Pixel Kings as triggers. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trigger-Transmitter-Receiver-support/dp/B00GUIHA6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415741514&sr=8-1&keywords=pixel+king+sony

I use three Yongnuo YN-560III and a YN-560TX controller. Like previously mentioned, you can only sync up to 1/200, but I've had some outstanding results with this setup. I wouldn't worry about not having TTL as when working with multiple off camera flashes, manual gives you much better control and consistent results.

Could I use the YN-560III with the pixel king triggers? Thanks for your help!

Nov 11, 2014 at 07:52 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

MichaelTapp wrote:
I'm going to be doing street portraits with one off camera flash, so I need to be quick!

I'm thinking about using the Pixel Kings as triggers. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trigger-Transmitter-Receiver-support/dp/B00GUIHA6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415741514&sr=8-1&keywords=pixel+king+sony

Could I use the YN-560III with the pixel king triggers? Thanks for your help!

I doubt it, but since I've never tried, I cannot say for sure.

Nov 11, 2014 at 07:56 PM
MichaelTapp

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

I guess I obviously need to get a sony mount flash? I'm in the dark on this stuff. Apologies for the dumb questions

Nov 11, 2014 at 07:58 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

If you don't want TTL flash, any standard hot shoe mount manual flash will work. Sony has moved away from their old (Minolta) mount; the a7r has a standard hot shoe with Sony extensions that a bog standard flash (or trigger) won't be bothered by.

Nov 11, 2014 at 09:45 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/press-text-phottix-introduces-two-new-mitros-ttl-flash-units-for-photographers-using-the-sony-multi-interface-hotshoe/
Photographers can use the versatile Mitros+ on-camera as a key- or fill-light, as well as control and trigger other Mitros+ flashes or compatible flashes using Phottix Odin Receivers. The Mitros+ also offers a built-in Phottix Odin Receiver and Strato II Receiver. Existing Phottix triggers, like the Phottix Odin or Strato II can be used to trigger the Mitros+ without extra receivers.

Nov 14, 2014 at 04:53 PM
cocosphere
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

I just use a set made by cheaplights for my A7 from when I had Olympus M 4/3 gear. No TTL, but for $25 with two receivers, I don't care. It looks like they have since rebranded from the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KIUJF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 21, 2014 at 09:55 AM
FiveForm
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

Last night I was playing around with my new set of Yongnuo 560 II's, using the photo eye slave setting and firing with my RX10 at 1/1600 with no issues. I just ordered a set of Yongnuo RF-603 II's which I plan on using with the 560's on manual with both my RX10 and A7. I'll follow-up here with the results. It would be nice to get the A7 to sync at 1/250th if possible, but if not I can live with 1/160 for portraiture and use my RX10 for kids or faster action. However, I may find that I'm only getting to use 1/1600th on the RX10 with the 560 II's in optical slave mode. Not sure if the radio triggers will support the same. Guess I'll find out...

Nov 21, 2014 at 01:08 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

So, if I want to get the TTL and HSS features of my Sony HVL-43M with multi interface shoe using Sony A7r/A7s, what remote trigger should I get? I assume that I also have to buy a receiver for the flash and possibly some adapters, as well... . The HVL-43M has a built-in receiver that can be triggered with another Sony flash using the WL mode but it is not "sensitive" for outdoor conditions as it apparently uses an optical transmission rather than a more dependable and sure-fired radio transmission.

The remote flash deal is what I sorely miss from my Canon system . I wish Sony would introduce a wireless transmitter similar to the Canon ST-E3 RT.

Thanks for any input,
Joshua

Dec 05, 2014 at 11:51 AM
prashant
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

webmstrk9 wrote:
Just to add to my last post:

I just received my pair and did some basic tests.

Sony A7r
RadioPopper Nano transmitter and receiver
2 Yongnuo 560 III's

Simple test, transmitter and receiver had no issues triggering the flash on the receiver, tested for HSS, no go, 1/200th max
2nd test was adding the 2nd flash to S1 mode which fired with no issues
3rd test 2nd flash to S2 mode, no go
4th test 2nd flash to RX mode, no go

EDIT: 4/15, SYNC SPEED 1/200TH HAS NO BLACK BAR, AT 1/250TH DOES

Good to know. I'm thinking of Nano as well.

Dec 28, 2014 at 05:27 AM
prashant
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony A7(R) wireless flash triggers

jsv_20 wrote:
I use the RF602's for Nikon on my Sony a7. It works but the max sync is 1/160. Any faster shutter speeds and you'll get a black bar. I'm wondering if there's some kind of mod I can do to the RX unit (maybe remove one of the pins) so that I can get full 1/250 sync.

interesting. I've RF-603N and it does not work on Sony A7 at all. Please more details.

Dec 28, 2014 at 05:50 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.