Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anyone use the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200?

dalite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone use the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200?

This bridge camera has a constant Leica f2.8 lens at all focal lengths and a maximum focal length of 600mm. Long enough for some bird photography. I don't expect this will be for other than general photography and some stationary birds, certainly not BIF.

Anyone using this camera? Please post some shots, especially at 600mm.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:36 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone use the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200?

Hello Dalite,

I have meant to answer for weeks now, but only had some pretty limited in-store "experience" with the camera, so didn't see the point. I personally got it because I needed large depth of field for some (hopefully) neat-o near-far juxtapositions, where I wanted everything to be in focus, more or less.

So, after a day with the thing, there are things I like and those I don't. I shoot full frame, so I rather like smooth images and enjoy the "depth" of FF raw files for processing latitude (I hope this makes sense). Coming from this background, I'd hesitate to use FZ200 files at more than 50% size.

I like the handling - it feels very good in hand, and all the controls are easy to access with the eye to the viewfinder (which is, of course, very small, compared to that of a 5D). The IS is pretty competent. I was a bit disappointed at first, but then I realized I was shooting at 1/5 second at 600mm equivalent. Oh, and it doesn't focus too close at 105mm actual/600mm equivalent (about 2 meters/6' 7" or so), so that is not much of an improvement on my 100-400 + 1.4 TC (MFD of 6 ft). As is common with point-and-shoots/bridge cameras, it has a quasi-macro focusing mode at the wide end of the zoom (focusing just about two or three inches from the front).

Oh yes, and the flare is quite unpleasant shooting into a light source. Stopping down doesn't improve things by much (although you do get a starburst).

Some samples follow (at 600mm first, these are only cropped or reduced in Photoshop; the others also have some tweaking):

Full frame at 600mm equivalent

100% crop @600mm, a bit soft due to slow shutter speed

Another 100% crop @600mm equiv

© verbiage 2014

Shooting Down Yonge Street

Bay St., Reflected Sun in Some Windows

May 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone use the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200?

Also, the FZ200 focuses quite a bit faster at the long end (indoors) than do either the FZ70 or a Canon superzoom that goes all the way to 1200mm equivalent. I only compared the FZ200 to them inside a store, so I have no idea if its advantage evaporates in good light.

That said, I would hesitate to use any of these cameras to shoot anything moving (except maybe some slow-moving subjects that would stay within the long depth of field of this small-sensor cam).

May 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM
MiguelATF
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone use the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200?

There's a very nice FZ200 threat on the seriouscompacts website. It has quite a few fans, followers and adherents over there. Worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

May 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.