Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

Steven Campbel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

I'm travelling to France and Belgium this summer. I'm still trying to figure out what lenses to take. This trip is in part to visit WW1 battlefield sites like Beaumont Hamel, Vimy Ridge etc and cemeteries. Outside of that I'm anticipating some landscapes, lots of old buildings, churches etc. I don't want to spend the entire trip shooting, but I will have gear with me at all times so I won't miss anything. I'm hoping to keep it as light as possible without leaving essentials behind. I think I'm taking the following for sure:

5D II and 7D as back up. These are the bodies I have now.
17-40
24-105
35L 1.4
Benro Travel Angel II tripod

I recently picked up a Canon 24 TSE II tilt shift lens. I've started to use it for older heritage homes, buildings etc. To say this lens blows standard lenses away for this purpose is an understatement. The shift function makes for a far better shot and the lens is super sharp. I know it will shine over there for older buildings and such. It's also a good lanscape lens staright up.

However, this is not a quick snap lens. It's manual focus, best used on a tripod etc. Shooting with it takes extra time. It's also fairly big, heavier than most, and I'm going to say slightly more delicate with the knobs and dials, and over $2000 to replace. Is it worth it to take it over there? I'm also wondering if my 70-200 2.8 II would be worth taking. Again, heavy, bulky, and over $2000 to replace.I know both these lenses are top of the line when in use and beat out the two standard (but lighter, smaller, cheaper zooms) I am taking now. But are they worth the weight, bulk and risk of loss?

I'm renting a car for the first 8-9 days to travel to Arras then Ypres then to Brugges. After that it's on to Paris, where I'm ditching the car for 5 days.

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

I'd take the TS-E 24/3.5L II, for sure. Using a tripod really helps for precision focus, especially using tilt, but you can get great results shooting shifted photos by hand or on a monopod. I think you'll really value the shift for war monuments, and buildings in general, of course. I think it also makes sense to take the 70-200/2.8L IS II and at least a 1.4x Extender, but it's really up to you to figure out how much is too much. I'd take my f/2.8 Mk II zooms (16-35, 24-70, 70-200), TS-E 24/3.5L II, and Mk III Extenders. Plus, my X100s.

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:17 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

As you are taking a tripod, then I'd take it and leave your 17-40 behind if you are pressed for space. You may well want/need the 70-200mm and I'd leave the 35 behind if necessary. If you weren't taking the tripod I'd say leave the TSE behind, but as you are...

This is one of the many occasions when the 70-200 f4IS is a more useful lens in my opinion as it is significantly lighter and smaller.

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:18 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

Robin Smith wrote:
As you are taking a tripod, then I'd take it and leave your 17-40 behind if you are pressed for space. You may well want/need the 70-200mm and I'd leave the 35 behind if necessary. If you weren't taking the tripod I'd say leave the TSE behind, but as you are...

This is one of the many occasions when the 70-200 f4IS is a more useful lens in my opinion as it is significantly lighter and smaller.

I hear you on the 70-200 f4. I had one of those and it was excellent, in addition to the smaller lighter package vs the 2.8. The tripod is a light, compact package which I know I will use. I actually bought it for this trip. The 35L 1.4 is a must. It's a great all around lens, is fast and is the go to lens for headstones, although either zoom may work too for that.

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:27 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

jcolwell wrote:
I'd take the TS-E 24/3.5L II, for sure. Using a tripod really helps for precision focus, especially using tilt, but you can get great results shooting shifted photos by hand or on a monopod. I think you'll really value the shift for war monuments, and buildings in general, of course. I think it also makes sense to take the 70-200/2.8L IS II and at least a 1.4x Extender, but it's really up to you to figure out how much is too much. I'd take my f/2.8 Mk II zooms (16-35, 24-70, 70-200), TS-E 24/3.5L II, and Mk III Extenders. Plus,
...Show more

Yeah, the 24 TSE is really good and I know it will pay off. The 70-200 is still up in the air. I never used it much last year in Germany and it's heavy.

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:32 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

I don't know if you would necessarily need a 70-200mm, especially in Europe. When I think of Europe, I think wide angle and fast. So I certainly think that the 17-40mm and your 35mm should be brought along. The 24-105mm is just a great all around lens, so I would bring that as well. I don't know if I would bring two bodies with me though. I would maybe leave the 7D at home and pick up a EOS-M or a P&S to save some space.

This goes without saying, but bringing the TS-E 24 II is a must.

-Nick

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

Spent twelve days in Luxembourg, Paris and northern Italy last fall.

I took my 24TSE II and used it quite a bit, particularly in the Italian countryside. Also took the 70-200 f/2.8 and made good use of it from the top of the Eiffel (I even used a 2X with it). The 70-200 was also useful for street photography, particularly in Paris with its multitude of sidewalk cafes.

Personally I wouldn't take any other fixed focal length lens unless I was planning on doing a great quantity of work at that one focal length (like any densely populated city with high traffic volumes, one doesn't have much flexibility for "foot-zooming").

The only drawback to the 70-200 f/2.8 was size/weight. Seriously thinking of trading for an f/4 version which would be really useful in Paris/Luxembourg for street work.

Glenn

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

when I go to Europe, my most used lens is the 24TSE II. Many buildings don't allow tripods inside, so just hold it against the top of a church pew or chair and shoot away.

I took my 70-200 f/2.8 II twice and never used it. After that I took my 135 f/2 for some street candids. I also got a lot out of my 24-105 f/4, but next time I think I'll take the 24-70 f/2.8 II.

Mar 25, 2014 at 03:32 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

I'll second Jim's comments. In Rome I did a lot of successful hand-held shift shots, the grid helps to keep vertical lines parallel, just shift to get the composition - the focusing is easy with focus confirm; and the ~90° turn from min to inf distance and DoF scale as well will help. I set it on the floor, a pew or held it against a column for interior shots with not enough light for decent shutter speed. Flat stitching brings the effective FoV to that of around a15mm FL lens - to get the best for that, a tripod helps A handheld rotation stitch can often succeed well, give the software out there today. Its drawback is it's heavy, but the 24-105 at 24 is not that great, IMO

Mar 25, 2014 at 07:05 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Take 24 Tilt Shift to France/Belgium?

I think the tilt shift is coming. It really is an amazing lens.

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.