Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Domke Bag...

hlavo
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Domke Bag...

I'm an all-Domke user, with three bags. The F3 is amazingly capacious and would probably work so long as the lenses with their hoods fit in the two interior lens sleeves (diameter could be a problem, not depth/length. I use my bag as a walk-around, with Nikon 18-105 VR and hood in one, the Nikon 70-300mm VR with hood in the other. Room for SLR body and several smaller lenses in interior. Side pockets hold a lot batteries, small flash, cords, etc. Large pocket in top flap holds a lot of stuff...cords, notepads, wipes, and other stuff.

The F2 is larger and heavier. I use it as well with another body and a bunch of lenses, but it tends to work best with smaller lenses. I do manage to squeeze in an 80-200mm at times, but in reality there is really not enough depth/length for this lens.

I'd give the F3 a try. If you can visit a store for the purchase, fit your lenses first. If they fit the inner sleeves, you're home.

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:46 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Domke Bag...

hlavo wrote:
I'm an all-Domke user, with three bags. The F3 is amazingly capacious and would probably work so long as the lenses with their hoods fit in the two interior lens sleeves (diameter could be a problem, not depth/length. I use my bag as a walk-around, with Nikon 18-105 VR and hood in one, the Nikon 70-300mm VR with hood in the other. Room for SLR body and several smaller lenses in interior. Side pockets hold a lot batteries, small flash, cords, etc. Large pocket in top flap holds a lot of stuff...cords, notepads, wipes, and other stuff.

The F2 is larger
...Show more

The F-3 does look good but as you mentioned the two interior sleeves could be a problem diameter wise. If those sleeves would accommodate a Canon F2.8 L zoom lens with reversed hood I'd be all in.

Apr 14, 2014 at 02:19 PM
atabak

p.3 #3 · Domke Bag...

I'm an an all-Domke bag user, too, semi-unfortunately.

My primary bag is a very recent model black canvas F-1X, which I use every day as a full-time city newspaper photographer. The bag I use when I can afford not to go out with absolutely everything I routinely use plus two Canon 1-Series bodies with lenses mounted is an older gray F-4 AF.

Sometimes I use my older Domke even when I shouldn't just for the satisfaction of using a high quality product. My new Domke started falling apart about two months after I bought it. I'm no textiles expert, but my newer Domke isn't made of the same materials as my older one—the canvas feels lighter weight. The paint wears off the metal in scrapes—it doesn't fade down to a dull, burnished glow like on my older one. It seems like Tiffen sent their pattern around to different contract sewers and awarded the contract to one of the lower bidders.

Folks, especially those outside the US, bemoan the cost of Tiffen's Domkes, but I'd pay $300 for a new F-1X that's truly rugged, professional equipment, like my F4-AF. It's not surprising that most of my colleagues go Think Tank. I would, too, but they don't make a working bag that would do it for me.

Has anyone tried the Dollice brand copies? I think this one is supposed to be an F-7:

http://ebay.com/itm?itemId=280883818647

-Alec

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:47 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.3 #4 · Domke Bag...

pjheller wrote:
May have to get a couple more F2 bags and stick them in the closet until needed.

Not really necessary. I got my F-2 in 1986 and it's still going strong; the only fix has been a new strap as the stitched-in rubber webbing on the original wore out.

photoguycanada wrote:
I might get the waxed canvas one as well!

Get a plain canvas bag and make it water resistant with Nikwax TX.Direct - created for water-proofing canvas tents. One spray and it's water-resistant. Three sprays and it's water-proofed. Keeps the soft canvas feel to the bag, unlike the waxed version.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:02 PM
atabak

p.3 #5 · Domke Bag...

It's really not worth stocking up on new Domke bags: they are no longer made to last. 10-20 years from now, I doubt there will be many stories about how the bags people bought in 2014 are still going strong, certainly not the bags professional photojournalists are using. On the other hand, stocking up on gently used bag made before Jim sold the business, that'd be a great idea.

If anyone's looking to sell an older F-1X or F-7, I've got a buyer for you.

Apr 20, 2014 at 02:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

peter_n
• • •
p.3 #6 · Domke Bag...

atabak wrote:
It's really not worth stocking up on new Domke bags: they are no longer made to last.

Unfortunately this is correct. I've bought two Domke clones manufactured by Safrotto and they are much better made than the current Domkes. Those Dollice bags look similar to the Safrottos but it's difficult to judge the quality from the pictures.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM
pjheller
• •
p.3 #7 · Domke Bag...

Just curious which model(s) of the Safrotto you purchased. I see they have a CF300 and CF1000. Is the CF300 similar to the F2 and the CF1000 to the F1X?

How do you set up the main compartment (i.e with a sleeve with compartments like the Domke bags or using pieces that attach (Velcro?). Also, any idea of the difference on the back of the bag . . . the CF1000 look like it has a zipper compartment running the length of the bag; not sure about the CF300 and wondering if it is just open like the Domke F2.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.3 #8 · Domke Bag...

You know I can't remember the model numbers. They are the equivalents of the Domke F-803 and F-802 satchel bags if that helps.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM
myaeroplace

p.3 #9 · Domke Bag...

I use the Domke F-832 and LOVE IT. Big enough for a full set of gear but I don't feel overwhelmed by its size.

Apr 28, 2014 at 02:50 PM
DontShoot
• • •
p.3 #10 · Domke Bag...

I cut off the metal buckles on mine and replaced them with velcros. Sometimes if you swing too quick, these metal buckles will hit your camera (or worse yet, GLASS) and create a scratch.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password