Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Domke Bag...
  
 
photoguycanada
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Domke Bag...


Hello,

I currently have a Crumpler 7MDH and although I like the space that it has, I've come to realize that it's too bulky and the shoulder strap almost always slips off my shoulder no matter how I adjust it.

I'm looking at the Domke line of shoulder bags and can't really find which one would best compare (in terms of size) to the Crumpler 7MDH.

I shoot with 2 heavy primes and a Nikon pro body with not grip. I carry a notepad, 2 filters, 2 pocket wizards, bunch of business cards, Blower, gaffer tape, pens, sync cables, bunch of AA batteries, spare camera battery.
This fits into my 7MDH nicely...

What do you guys all recommend?
I'm a fan of being a minimalist and have been looking at the Domke F2, F3X, F6 but I wanna make sure I don't get something too big.

Thanks in advance



Mar 25, 2014 at 06:25 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Domke Bag...


Lars did a write up on his Lowepro bags - not sure if you like them.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234186/0

Since you're considering the F-3X...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZgvj4XlXE

Have you checked out the Think Tank Retrospective line?

Personally straps are a PITA - they are seldom grippy enough. I often force a rubber strap pad onto poor straps.




Mar 25, 2014 at 06:57 AM
ValveTubeHead
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Domke Bag...


I have several Domke bags including the f-2 and f-3x, they're both roomy, comfortable and fast to work from. The f-2 is a bit wider, while the f-3x is a bit taller. I like them both, but the f-3x fits my fuji gear better...




Mar 25, 2014 at 08:34 AM
pjheller
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Domke Bag...


Iíve been a Domke user for ages, bought my first one when photographer Jim Domke first started making them . . . I think theyíre the best bags you can buy and work out of (they were originally designed for pjs. Sturdy, long lasting and hold lots of gear. I prefer the F2 bag. Iíve use the F-1X and while it can hold even more gear, it didnít have quite the balance (for lack of a better description) that the F2 has. Have an F3 as well as an older Domke satchel. Just ordered an F3 backpack, which Iím hoping to use when Iím out bicycling and want to take a camera and a couple of lenses (yeah I know I should just carry a P&S)


Mar 25, 2014 at 08:54 AM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Domke Bag...


photoguycanada wrote:
Hello,

I currently have a Crumpler 7MDH and although I like the space that it has, I've come to realize that it's too bulky and the shoulder strap almost always slips off my shoulder no matter how I adjust it.

I'm looking at the Domke line of shoulder bags and can't really find which one would best compare (in terms of size) to the Crumpler 7MDH.

I shoot with 2 heavy primes and a Nikon pro body with not grip. I carry a notepad, 2 filters, 2 pocket wizards, bunch of business cards, Blower, gaffer tape, pens, sync cables, bunch of AA batteries,
...Show more

You probably just need a better shoulder pad. The Crumpler pad is poor and only works for sling carry. If you mainly wear it sling style, the Timbuk2 Deluxe Shoulder Strap Pad is a lot better:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/deluxe-shoulder-strap-pad

I can run or bike with this pad and it never slips and is comfy as it gets. I use it on my 6 MDH. If you prefer to carry your bag purse style off a single shoulder, don't bother with the Timbuk2 Deluxe Shoulder Strap Pad as it's optimized for sling use. Get a Billingham SP20 (for 2" straps). It's optimized for single shoulder carry and has super grippy neoprene. You have to work to get it to fall off your shoulder. It's pricy but almost worth it:

http://www.amazon.com/Billingham-SP20-Shoulder-Pad-Black/dp/B004MYK35C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395741040&sr=8-1&keywords=Billingham+SP20

I bought the SP20 originally for a Billingham but kept the pad after selling the bag. I used a SP15 (for 1.5" straps) on a Domke for a while. Wasn't too fond of the Domke and sold it but loved the Billingham SP15 pad:




Mar 25, 2014 at 09:53 AM
pjheller
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Domke Bag...


The Billingham pad looks like itís kind of thin and doesnít seem like it would help soften carrying a bag on the shoulder. You might prefer something like this http://tinyurl.com/phnrtbo or something similar to what mail carriers might use.


Mar 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM
peter_n
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Domke Bag...


I've also used Domke bags for years and have several Domkes and Safrotto bags (Domke clones). I recommend the F-2, just a great bag to work out of. Modern Domkes don't have the quality of the original bags unfortunately and now the Safrotto brand is way better in quality than the current product and also less expensive. They can be found on eBay. Get a plain canvas bag and make it water resistant with Nikwax TX.Direct.



Mar 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM
jiannazzone
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Domke Bag...


I have a Domke F3X and an F2. The F3X fits a D7000, a couple of zooms and a flash. It could carry more primes. The F2 can easily carry the body, 18-70, 70-300, 12-24, 35, 50, a flash, an iPad, with plenty of room for odds and ends.

They are my favorite bags to work from but can be though on the back.



Mar 25, 2014 at 03:47 PM
photoguycanada
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Domke Bag...


thanks for all the feedback and comments/pics so far.

its going to be between the F2 or F-3X or F6 from Domke. I'm just hoping that someone that has owned the 7MDH will chime in soon



Mar 25, 2014 at 06:07 PM
henryp
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Domke Bag...


pjheller wrote:
Iíve been a Domke user for ages, bought my first one when photographer Jim Domke first started making them . . . I think theyíre the best bags you can buy and work out of (they were originally designed for pjs. Sturdy, long lasting and hold lots of gear. I prefer the F2 bag.


Ditto. 100%. What he said.
One caveat -- my current F2 is black and it is VERY dark down at the bottom. Were I buying one today I think I'd opt for the brown "Ruggedwear" or the olive drab. YMMV.

BTW, the Domke F2 shoulder bag is what we're talking about. The Domke F2 backpack is another item altogether.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video



Mar 25, 2014 at 07:47 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Domke Bag...


pjheller wrote:
The Billingham pad looks like itís kind of thin and doesnít seem like it would help soften carrying a bag on the shoulder. You might prefer something like this http://tinyurl.com/phnrtbo or something similar to what mail carriers might use.


I have that shoulder pad too. By far the most uncomfortable design I've used. Doesn't wrap around the shoulder contour and distribute the weight across a larger area like flexible pads do. Just sits on top of the shoulder digging in a couple inches of meat and bone like hardwood. However obviously some people love it so we should be glad there are lots of choices to fit every taste and shoulder.



Mar 25, 2014 at 09:52 PM
dlaurin10
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Domke Bag...


If you considering buying a Domke Bag why not try out their shoulder pad on your Crumpler 7MDH first and if it doesn't work out it keep it for the Domke bag.
http://www.amazon.com/Domke-725-310-FA-031-Office-Shoulder/dp/B00009R86L/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17388H0RMGWZGNAKG92E



Mar 26, 2014 at 03:00 AM
photoguycanada
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Domke Bag...


dlaurin10 wrote:
If you considering buying a Domke Bag why not try out their shoulder pad on your Crumpler 7MDH first and if it doesn't work out it keep it for the Domke bag.
http://www.amazon.com/Domke-725-310-FA-031-Office-Shoulder/dp/B00009R86L/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17388H0RMGWZGNAKG92E


I would but I don't like the bulk of the 7MDH



Mar 26, 2014 at 05:03 PM
photoguycanada
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Domke Bag...


Anyone know which one of the F2, F6 or F3x is the most comparable to the 7MDH?

There aren't any Domke retailers in my area.



Mar 26, 2014 at 05:04 PM
DontShoot
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Domke Bag...


photoguycanada wrote:
I shoot with 2 heavy primes and a Nikon pro body with not grip. I carry a notepad, 2 filters, 2 pocket wizards, bunch of business cards, Blower, gaffer tape, pens, sync cables, bunch of AA batteries, spare camera battery. This fits into my 7MDH nicely...


What are those "two heavy primes"? 200 f/2 and 400 2.8? And exactly which body do you shoot? Nikon pro body with no grip doesn't make sense, since all pro bodies have grip. Tell me exactly what you got and I'll recommend a Domke bag (I have about 12 Domke's )



Mar 26, 2014 at 05:56 PM
jiannazzone
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Domke Bag...


I have a 5MH. It compares more closely in volume with my F3X. I would think the 7MH would be more comparable to the F2.


Mar 26, 2014 at 06:20 PM
photoguycanada
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Domke Bag...


DontShoot wrote:
What are those "two heavy primes"? 200 f/2 and 400 2.8? And exactly which body do you shoot? Nikon pro body with no grip doesn't make sense, since all pro bodies have grip. Tell me exactly what you got and I'll recommend a Domke bag (I have about 12 Domke's )



Thanks for your help...

I shoot with a Nikon DF, sigma 35 1.4 art, nikon 85 1.4g. although it aint much, i do carry a couple notepads, filters, 3 pocket wizards, sync cables, blower, extra battery, about 16 AA batteries, sometimes I like to include on some outings, bottles of water, snacks, speedlite sb-900, a small 4-outlet power bar, .

I would like a bag that is small but at the same time I don't want it all crammed in the bag. I also don't want a huge bag. the size of my 7MDH is just perfect for size.



Mar 26, 2014 at 08:10 PM
DontShoot
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Domke Bag...


I think the F6 will work. It's a small bag but I'm confident it will fit all those. Here's my F6 just so you have an idea how big it is and what you can fit in there:



You can put the Df on the side with a prime attached, put the other prime in one of the four slots, and you got 3 more empty slots. Notepad fits in the back, water bottle in the front pocket, batteries and blower in the slots.




Mar 27, 2014 at 05:33 PM
Savas K
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Domke Bag...


ValveTubeHead wrote:

I have several Domke bags including the f-2 and f-3x, they're both roomy, comfortable and fast to work from. The f-2 is a bit wider, while the f-3x is a bit taller. I like them both, but the f-3x fits my fuji gear better...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3672/13160323735_d6e6bebbef_c.jpg


what I like about the photo is that it demonstrates the sort of give and take that the gear cavities offer. The walls can push/pull in accordance with that you stow so that it's not all hard-wired and inflexible.



Mar 28, 2014 at 12:59 AM
ValveTubeHead
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Domke Bag...


Dos centavos

Many folks go for "vanity" over function, I'd call most of domke's offerings a "tweener" as far as appearances. I think they are handsome but understated. Imo, So called "stealth" is just an exercise in overthinking. Functionally, domke bags are solid pickup trucks for lack of a better analogy; reliable and job focused...practical. I think this style of bag performs best when they aren't stuffed full...they conform to your body like comfortable clothing so you forget its there. When you begin to shoot, there's little in the way to obstruct your workflow. It's up to you how much protection and padding you want to include...microfiber washcloth, lens wraps or cases, inserts or minimal; most of the gear I've used can take more abuse than I dish out. I've used LowePro bags for some projects for external attachment dynamics, but they need more thought & investment in load out.



Mar 29, 2014 at 03:52 AM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password