Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · So CAL Poppy & Wildflower update

Steve Park
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So CAL Poppy & Wildflower update

Went to Arvin area last weekend.
Along the hwy223 where wildflowers were plenty, the hillside was totally brown, less than 3% green. Bone dry, no signs of any wildflowers.

Drove through Hwy178 through Sequoia National Forrest, the same story. Only a few fiddlenecks and a few other yellow flowers were found.

At CA Poppy Reserve in Lancaster is bone dry. Most hillside is barren, brown weeds, maybe 5% (probably less) green. A few patches of small group of poppies along the trail and parking lot.

I know it's 2-3 weeks earlier than usual PEAK time, but the ranger said, "this is it. we're at peak, unless we get some significant rain soon".

Here's a view of the field directly north of the Reserve on 3-23-2014. Mostly green, but it doesn't look promising at all.

View from ave D - directly north of the Reserve

The best patch I found

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:57 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So CAL Poppy & Wildflower update

Thank you Steve for the update. I am waiting for Poppy reserve too and am following their facebook page for updates. It doesn't look good this year again.
You got some nice shots in though.

-Quang

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So CAL Poppy & Wildflower update

The true test will be next month when the area typically blossoms. I'm not expecting too much, but am often surprised.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.