Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · To the Right

Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To the Right

Here is a new image from my trip to Abraham lake a couple months ago. Incase you are interested, the story of this image is on my new website. I'm curious what people think of it, along with the image.

As for the technical stuff, this was simple. A typical focus stack of 8-10 images using single exposures. No blending was needed. My lens was as close as possible to the ice to try and make these small bubbles have a bit more impact. Large clear patches were very tough to find on this warm trip.

Thanks for looking.

www.justingrimmphotography.com

Edited on Mar 24, 2014 at 07:36 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:16 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To the Right

It's a beautiful image. I have trouble understanding the need for so many images, but it does seem to work.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:22 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To the Right

stanparker wrote:
It's a beautiful image. I have trouble understanding the need for so many images, but it does seem to work.

Thanks Stan, I appreciate it! Just pick up any of your wide angle lenses and put it 4 inches away from something, then try to focus on it and get a mountain in perfect focus also It is second nature for me to shoot like this now for large quality prints.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:32 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To the Right

Justin,
beautifully done! love it.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:53 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To the Right

Nicely done,

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:10 PM
theroadtaken
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To the Right

Beautiful image.

Could you point me to a good tutorial/explanation for focus stacking? I have seen several images with focus stacking and would love to try the technique.

Thank you,
Chris

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:22 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · To the Right

sweet shot here. Better stock up on memory - gonna need it in a few weeks

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:50 PM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · To the Right

I love this pic-color, comp and light. Excellent.
Lonnie

Mar 24, 2014 at 09:40 PM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · To the Right

Rubbish man, complete and utter rubbish. How do you even get the nerve to post this trash on the internet?

killer shot man. You really got some sweet light. Really love those small waves frozen on the lake, and beautiful job as always on the processing. You'll have to take me around there next winter!

Edited on Mar 25, 2014 at 01:58 AM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM
fasen

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · To the Right

Beautiful! Nice shot!

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM
fasen

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · To the Right

Cool~~

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · To the Right

theroadtaken wrote:
Beautiful image.

Could you point me to a good tutorial/explanation for focus stacking? I have seen several images with focus stacking and would love to try the technique.

Thank you,
Chris

Sure Chris, I'll find something for you and it'll be in your PMs. Thanks!

Dustin Gent wrote:
sweet shot here. Better stock up on memory - gonna need it in a few weeks

100 gigs enough? I actually just picked up a few big cards for the trip just incase. Still in the mail though!

matthewh133 wrote:
Rubbish man, complete and utter rubbish. How do you even get the nerve to post this trash on the internet?

killer shot man. You really got some sweet light. Really love those small waves frozen on the lake, and beautiful job as always on the processing. You'll have to take me around there next winter!

Thanks man. And yeah for sure. It wouldnt be tough to show you around. Drive on a nice highway, walk 100 feet towards ice, wait for some good light, take epic pictures. Boom!

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:02 AM
Bandi
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · To the Right

Super image Justin. Really like the processing and the stack looks great.

I've been enjoying your work a lot on here so thought I would take a look at the new site. Since you asked for opinions and none have been provided yet, I thought I'd throw a few pieces of honest feedback at you. I hope you take in the spirit it's intended, because I do have a lot of respect for your work! Overall, the site is effective, but could be made even more so with some tweaks IMO.

1) When the page first came up, I kind of felt overloaded. The thumbnails are huge with no breathing space around each... they kind of all run in together and made it difficult to get a grasp on each image.

2) The thumbnails aren't all the same size, leading to some having a little space around them while others merge together. It looked a little sloppy. On a side note, I've never been a fan of thumbnails that don't show the whole image. It's a personal preference, but if you have gone to the trouble of coming up with great compositions in your images, why leave that aspect out and let an automated crop decide which part of the image to display? I'd much rather see smaller thumbs, showing the whole image, with even black space around them. (It may be time for my OCD medication )

3) I like the simplicity of the banner at the top of the page, but it seems like there is a lot of wasted space there. When you add in the address bar and the browser tabs, about 1/4 of the screen real estate is gone already. This becomes import for #4...

4) ...which is the most important one for me. I'm running 1920 * 1080 and when I view a vertical image, I can't see the whole thing without scrolling. I can tell I'm looking at a high quality image, but I cant see it all to enjoy it. After viewing the first few images, I was feeling quite frustrated, which isn't a good thing as a prospective buyer. I'd reconsidering the sizing of the header and images to fit better on a 1080 high monitor. It would also be nice if horizontal images had enough space below them so I don't have the thumbnails half visible too (which is a visual distraction).

5) Putting on my prospective buyers hat... I'd reconsider the images you are using on the About and Prints pages. Your target audience is more than likely not going to identify with the image on the About page. If I was a 40+ person looking for a high quality print, that image wouldn't portray the type of person I would be looking to buy off. It doesn't sell you or your work IMO. As for the image on the Prints page... You kind of look disinterested / bored / like you would rather be doing something else. Again, from a prospective buyers point of view, when I look at that image, I don't see someone who has pride in what they have created. It's kind of the opposite, and if the artist doesn't have pride in their work, why should I as a buyer? This particular feedback isn't an aspersion on you or anything like that... just the general feel I got when looking at those two images!

As I said above, I hope you take the feedback in the manner it was intended! Your work is first rate and it deserves to be shown off in the best light possible IMO. Happy to answer any return questions or clarify any of the above if you want.

Cheers,
Anthony

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:06 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · To the Right

Bandi wrote:
Super image Justin. Really like the processing and the stack looks great.

I've been enjoying your work a lot on here so thought I would take a look at the new site. Since you asked for opinions and none have been provided yet, I thought I'd throw a few pieces of honest feedback at you. I hope you take in the spirit it's intended, because I do have a lot of respect for your work! Overall, the site is effective, but could be made even more so with some tweaks IMO.

1) When the page first came up, I kind of
...Show more

Hey Anthony, thanks a lot for the opinions! Of course your feedback will be taken positively. I always want feedback good or bad. You actually bring up a lot of the frustrations I had while building the site. It will evolve and get better as I learn and get more information on how to customize everything to my liking. I agree and already knew about the issues with your points 1-3, and they will be fixed once I add my next gallery of work in a couple months.

However I didnt know that the vertical images dont look good on a smaller monitor. I'll have to resize the vertical shots to make sure they fit in the majority of people's internet windows. I was under the impression my site would resize according to the viewer's window size. I've only been able to see my website on my personal computer, the one at work, and on my iphone.

I'll have to reconsider some of the shots you mention in #5. I didnt think of it that way, and only used those shots because of the awesome feedback friends and family had given me on them. In reality once I get a few more pieces in nice homes, I will use shots of the prints hanging on walls instead. I'd much rather be behind the camera anyways

Thanks again dude, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Edited on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:24 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · To the Right

Justin Grimm wrote:
100 gigs enough? I actually just picked up a few big cards for the trip just incase. Still in the mail though!

I have 128GB of memory, and you know i don't shoot a lot - and I am thinking g of getting one or two more 32 or 64 cards

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:32 AM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · To the Right

Justin,

First, just amazing image you posted here - and on your web site. If I could shoot anything close to that, I'd be deliriously happy.

On your web site: I have to agree with most of what Bandi said. I'm sure the image on the About page is adorable to friends and family, but maybe doesn't convey the right facet of your personality to your audience/customers? The image on the Images page definitely conveys the wrong message to me. I suppose we could all come up with our own special message to convey on that page if it were ours, but I would think the bottom line is to sell images. I don't think what you have there helps, but instead detracts (probably just a little, given your OUTSTANDING images).

On the viewing; I can only see 50-55% of a vertical image on my MacBook Pro at work. As Bandi noted, that header takes inordinate space.

Hope that helps, and please keep posting more amazing images - they are truly inspirational! I would also be interested in any focus stacking tutorials you recommend. I have read about the technique, but I imagine with your expertise, you might point me at something that adds a lot of value.

Peter

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · To the Right

Absolutely outstanding image, Justin!

I will leave the web site critique for others since I am not a pro in any way shape or form.

-Nick

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · To the Right

I know it's technically "Abraham" but I'm calling this place Grimm Lake from here on out.

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:38 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · To the Right

Can never get enough of the bubbles from this lake. Beautiful shot Justin!

Jason

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:51 PM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · To the Right

Justin Grimm wrote:
Thanks man. And yeah for sure. It wouldnt be tough to show you around. Drive on a nice highway, walk 100 feet towards ice, wait for some good light, take epic pictures. Boom!

As an Aussie and having never walked on a frozen lake before, I'm just worried about falling in haha!

Mar 25, 2014 at 04:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.