New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 75mm M lenses

Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 75mm M lenses

Has anyone used the 75mm f/1.4 Summilux and the CV 75mm f/1.8? I am contemplating both, and wondering if the performance is comparable (setting aside the full-stop advantage the 'Lux has over the CV).

Either lens will be used on an M240.

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:25 PM
najibs
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 75mm M lenses

I've tried the CV 75/2.5 (not the f/1.8 version). For the money it's great. I was impressed. Build quality and overall image quality will not be like that of a Summilux, I wouldn't think, especially build quality. For the price though, pretty good. Voigtlander has some great lenses.

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:19 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 75mm M lenses

Interesting choice.

The lux is a legend, not all that easy to find, so if you get one and don't like it you could probably pass it along easily. It's in a class by itself wide-open. They also say that f/four it's extremely sharp.

The CV is loved by many people. It's considered an outstanding, possibly the best 75 mm portrait lens. Hundred grams lighter, and not that expensive. Most common comment regarding drawbacks is that it is a 1 m close focus lens.

It seems nearly every 75 mm option for m is fantastic. I love my little CV 75/2.5

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:54 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 75mm M lenses

I have the 75 Lux and Cron AA. I have not tried the CV75 which is meant to be excellent. I feel the 75 Lux is in a class of its own with a MFD of 0.7m. If you like the Mandler look, this is probably the best Mandler designed lens. Having the MFD of 0.7m for portraits is so handy. Stopped down it is excellent for landscapes and is very flare resistant. My favourite for portraits is 105 to 180mm, but with M's the 75 is the best compromise with RF's, and still having the ability to compose easily.
The Lux works brilliantly with the M240 and renders colours really well. If there are marginal issues focusing LV helps to fine tune. Having f 1.4 for subject isolation is not to be overlooked either. Good luck

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:51 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 75mm M lenses

I actually owned both.

The 75 Lux had an awesome, very smooth, traditional Leica look to it. It's not blazingly sharp, but sharp enough to shoot wide open. They both seem to be about the same sharpness at similar apertures (which means the Voigt is sharper at 1.8 than the Leica is at 1.4).

The Voigt is sharp, has smooth bokeh, but doesn't really have any character to it. It's just a solid, no-frills lens. It won't give you any surprises.

I preferred the rendering of the 75 Lux, but not at the cost of a $2500 difference. Sold the lux, kept the Voigt.

Mar 26, 2014 at 03:40 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 75mm M lenses

Why do you leave the 75 cron AA out?

I think it offers the best of both. Not to big/ heavy. 0,7m minimal focus distance, APO correction with excellent picture quality.

And not that extreme in price.

It would be my choice if I had to pick a 75mm lens. However with 50 and 90 I don't think I can find room for it.

Mar 26, 2014 at 06:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 75mm M lenses

I have the CV and have spent some time with the 75 Lux, though not enough to really know it inside and out.

I agree with Mike that the CV is very competent, though not really anything special, either. It's appaerently designed for portraits where across-frame sharpness stopped down isn't critical. But for other uses where that might be desirable, it will likely disappoint. Here I would probably go for the Summarit or Cron instead.

The Lux reminds me of the 50 Lux somewhat - a more special look wide open, and the few shots I did stopped down seemed good too. This kind of dual character trait seems to be typical in many of the fast Leica lenses and might be worth the associated price premium.

If you like the look of the 50 Lux, I think you'll really enjoy the 75 Lux, too.

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:12 AM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 75mm M lenses

The 75mm Lux is a super lens, with the previously described dual character. This gives it a very unique advantage. The bokeh is superb and it has that Mandler look, which as Ron mentioned. complements the pre asph 50mm lux extremely well. The only downside is weight, and that is kind of unavoidable if you want the speed. If you prefer a lighter lens, then the APO summicron is a superb choice as well.

You may want to consider the pre asph 90mm summicron, which has a very nice (similar) look as well, and it can be had for a very good price vis a vis the 75mm summicron.

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:21 AM
asiafish
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 75mm M lenses

The 75/2.5 Summarit is also fantastic, and light.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 75mm M lenses

I have owned several CV lenses....some of them have been excellent (CV 21 Ultron, 35 Nokton, 50 Nokton) and some not so much. This is probably the lens I disliked the most.

Out of the 75 - 90 range I have used:

CV 75 f/1.8 - Low contrast, never reaches sharpness of any other lens I have used between 75-90. Heavy on CA at wide aperture, soft glow to the images. NEVER gelled with it.

CV 75 f/2.5 - sharp starting from f/2.5. I found images rather flat and lifeless. If you want a simply sharp photo, can't beat it for the price

Leica 75 f/1.4 Summilux - My favorite image quality wise of the bunch. I found my copy (later VII) to be extremely sharp dead center starting at f/1.4. Lower contrast until you bumped it down to f/2.8 and then the contrast was great with sharpness edge to edge. Bokeh is top of the class. Some of my favorite photos have been taken with this lens. Obviously the two complaints, and there are only two in my mind, size and success rate on an M body. I don't have the best eyes so this lens was hit and miss for me. I tried a 1.25 mag and while it did help, I never felt 100% confident with the lens. For some reason I can shoot a 50 Summilux and nail it 100% of the time, 75 Lux not so much. I never have tried a 90 Cron for this reason, don't think I would even be able to focus it at f/2

Leica 75 f/2.5 Summarit - I found this lens and the CV 75 f/2.5 to be VERY similar in characteristics. Both razor sharp starting wide open, neither with much character to them. They were both made for MTF charts in my opinion

Leica 90 f/2.5 Summarit - Very sharp lens, similar in rendering to the 75 f/2.5. I like the bokeh out of this lens better than the 90 Elmarit-M for near distance, but thats about it. I like the character of the 90 Elmarit-M much better in every other way.

Leica 90 f/2.8 Elmarit - This lens is extremely sharp, and gives the most 3D look of maybe any Leica lens I have used. I sold it once because I wasn't happy with the bokeh close up, but after using the 90 Summarit I bought it right back. I was trying to use this lens for what the Leica system is no good at, close up shots of kids . OOF rendering at mid to long distance is excellent. This lens does have a great look to it, pairs nicely with a 35 Lux ASPH in my opinion

Canon 100 f/2 - Ok, I forgot about this lens until the end here. Man I love this lens, tons of character, great bokeh, surprisingly sharp. B/W out of this lens for some reason is just spectacular. If you find one of these in LTM I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The Canon 85 f/1.8 LTM is supposed to be the exact lens at 85mm, I have looked for 1 1/2 yrs with no luck for one at a decent price. This lens is also excellent on other systems, such as NEX and A7

Bottom line, if you are contemplating both, you WILL be disappointed with the CV 75

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 75mm M lenses

The only 75mm I've used in the Lux, but it's an amazing lens and one of the few I would never contemplate selling.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 75mm M lenses

When I get 75 Lux lust, I dust off the old Canon 85/1.5

The M9 seems to like it fine

I was even able to focus it ! I think I found this one for 500USD. I also have the 1.8 and 1.9, (and the 100/2), but the big "summarex" is the one I reach for most, when I want fast. It's sharp sharp at f/4 too.

But the little CV 2.5 is the one I'd sell last because the handling is so great--meaning you take it anywhere. 234 grams with hood! Incredible sharp with good color on the M9.

Nevertheless I can understand why the 75 Lux and Cron are so attractive. They are the best 75s ever made--or 85s for that matter. Well I do hear ravings about the Zeiss 85/2---but is it nicer than the 75 cron?

Edited on Mar 27, 2014 at 12:10 AM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:54 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 75mm M lenses

That 85/1.5 looks nice do you have more pics somewhere?
I'm looking forward to my Chiyoko Super Rokkor 8.5cm
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137240

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:10 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 75mm M lenses

LightShow wrote:
That 85/1.5 looks nice do you have more pics somewhere?

less than 2500 made, but they rarely sell over 500. Has a "soft" rep, because no one could focus it with an RF and 1.5 I think.

Here on the A7r:

here it is on the nex-5:

the brochure:

for contrast, here's the canon 100/2 on the A7r, which as noted above is an outstanding lens.

I need to shoot it on the M9.

and one last: now these are dirt cheap and great: Canon 85/1.9. I think I paid 225 USD. They have like 20 blades.
On the M9:

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:24 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 75mm M lenses

I had the 85 f/1.5, never got a relatively sharp image wide open as you did above. Plus, the color was horrible. Maybe I was one of those (don't doubt it) that just couldn't focus it

Mar 27, 2014 at 08:20 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 75mm M lenses

Thanks uhoh7

Mar 28, 2014 at 08:12 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 75mm M lenses

Charlie mentioned the Sonnar 85/2. This one is probably the best option if you can find one. I had to wait 2 years to get mine. Sharper than the 90/2 AA with very nice bokeh and gentle Sonnar rendering. The sharpness is amazing across the frame from wide open. A special helicoid makes focusing very precise and easy (for an M lens). A very subtle veiling haze wide open that is flattering for portraits. The only draw back is the blue fringing (at f/2-2.8) in high key lighting situations, and of course, that it is discontinued. This is possibly The sharpest 85 ever made.

Mar 28, 2014 at 01:31 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 75mm M lenses

IIRC, the CV75/1.8 is a true Heliar design and the 75/2.5 a double gauss despite its name. The rendering of the later looked too similar to my Zuiko 85/2 of similar design.
The true heliar is supposed to have high resolution and low microcontrast and especially good for portaits. The CA seems to be an issue.

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:20 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 75mm M lenses

today I had the canon 100/2 out on the M9, shooting in a drizzle at f/2

hitting the focus was akin to landing a triple quark with eyes closed.

Edward I hope you shoot your 85/2 with the M240 soon. The Nikkor RF 85/2 is supposedly incredible also, and the whole discussion here (far afield as we are) prompted me to order another adapter from Amedeo: just for the Contax to M. I have a Contax red dial 3a and three lenses, most applicable here being a super clean 105/2.5 "C" nikkor, but also a very sweet pre-war 50/1.5 and a clean 135/3.5 nikkor "C".

Amedeo let's you go straight from Contax RF to M with very good focus.

Most of you know, but the nikkor RF glass with "C" is calibrated for contax, not Nikon.

Which brings up two other candidates for this sort of work, the original zeiss 85/2, meant to be great, and the russian clone, the jupiter 9, which is so hard to find in good working condtion.

A good one is really nice though. And often had for around 125USD

Mar 29, 2014 at 01:43 AM
thompsonkirk
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 75mm M lenses

About the 75 Lux: Truly beautiful rendering, but I found it hard to stay in focus on anything/anyone that moves. Low rate of 'keepers' because of such shallow DOF.

One of my reasons for acquiring Sony was to have higher ISOs (than M9) to use in available light. IMO f2 is fine with Sony, no need for bulk and expense of f1.4.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.