Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

Howdy Folks!

This photo post is titled "Impressions 128..." as it is the 128th in a series of photos I have posted here as a series intended to stimulate attention to the "impression" an expression (facial or body) makes on the viewer. As I have posted about 128 images in this series so far, and may post more in the future, you can easily find them by searching for the word "Impressions" in the title. Most of my earlier posts in this series will be in the FM archives of 2009 or 2010.

The above photo is posted in a truly friendly manner and with a friendly intent (to help this forum by posting photos that others can view for pleasure or learning). I am not trying to sell anyone here anything! I like this forum and I have 15,000 posted comments here. From time to time I just drop by to say "howdy." I hope all the friendly folks I know here are doing well, and for the newbies (I have not yet met) I hope you are enjoying your time on this forum.

As this is a global forum on the net, some people may not understand my use of the word "howdy." "Howdy" is simply a very friendly way of saying "hello" in the American West (Texas, Oklahoma, etc.). It is something I picked up doing back in the 1980s when I first moved to Texas, and it is a genuine greeting from me. It is usually given with a big smile and often the return greeting is another "howdy" from the recipient. It is common in Texas, but not limited to Texas.

WHY I POST A PHOTO HERE

I am NOT trying to sell anything to anyone on this forum.

I post to share what I enjoy and to help others whenever I can. I truly hope that my work and participation here encourages others to better enjoy this fascinating activity we call photography. It is one of my passions.

What I most enjoy about sharing photos is learning what people see and sense in the facial expressions shown in the photos or in the moment captured in the image. I call these "Impressions" and I always enjoy hearing what others "sense" of the person (the subject of the photo) based upon what they see in the portrait (and the expressions or moment shown). So, if you would like to comment on this photo, I invite you to tell me what you see or sense of the person in the photo. Simply put, tell me:

"What is your impression of the person shown in the photo?"

If you find something interesting in the subject's expression, let me know. I enjoy sharing those comments with my subjects too, and they often get tickled that someone (a stranger) likes their portrait or sees something of their character or personality. So it can be fun for everyone.

The subject (person) shown in this photo is a young girl (7 years old) I met while traveling in Nebraska. She is a highly spirited person who was fun and full of joy. This photo reminds me of the spirit of youth and the joy of play. It also makes me think of Peter Pan for some reason.

PHOTO TECHNIQUE and GEAR USED

I enjoy seeing expressive portraits like this, so it illustrates one of my preferences for a type of portrait I like to make for my clients.

The photo was made using minimal equipment; just a camera and a lens, natural sunlight (my favorite) and nothing else. My favorite and most often used lens is a 50mm f1.4, but that is not the only lens I use. Photographed using minimal equipment.

In general I like to encourage other photographers to use ambient and natural light and minimal equipment. I think too many photographers get distracted and "focused" on their gear rather than their subjects. I prefer to keep it simple and natural.

This low resolution jpg file has been saved several times (even for posting here), so you might see some artifacts from that. The original file is very clean and made very high quality prints.

PRESENTATION AND FINISH (Why I choose to display a toned image or not.)

I started my professional photography career years ago specializing in Black & White photography (portraits usually). While I do enjoy the classic look of B&W photos, my favorite finish (look) is my Golden Toned images (and it is a personal hue/tint I mixed up myself from scratch). This is my choice and how I display or present about 99% of my work, but not all.

However, for this forum and this series, I am going to post a few photos that illustrate other aspects, so you might see some B&W, some toned, and some in full color.

For years I made photos in a more traditional "Black & White" style, with many variations in small details (paper, contrast, filtering light, etc.). While I enjoy B&W photos, and will make them on occasion, it is NOT my preference now. I prefer my golden hued (toned) images and that is what I make for myself and to represent my work (in general). So, if you don't like it, that is OK with me. I make them because I make my photos to suit my personal taste and style choice, not those of other photographers.

IN THIS POST....

I am including the FULL COLOR version of this shot for comparison. The full color image is "as seen by the eye" and the colors are accurate for the light (brilliant sunlight, blue sky). This is posted so you can compare.

While I do like the full color image, I prefer a monotone or "toned" image (as I posted), as it is my personal taste.

WATERMARKS (Why I choose to display an image with multiple watermarks.)

I only post photos online that have multiple watermarks on them. This is my choice, as a professional, for how I display my work online. This was prompted by finding many of my images being used by others on their websites without my permission and after they had cropped off my small signature/logo/watermark that I always put in the corner of an image. So, this is my choice as a professional. If you don't like that, you are free to post your photos as you want. You have that freedom; but my photos are not free. I can see through watermarks to see the content behind them, so it does not bother me if you (or anyone) puts watermarks on their photos too.

I am NOT trying to sell anything to anyone on this forum.

SAY HOWDY BACK!
I always enjoy meeting friendly folks and friendly photographers too. I have met FM members before and enjoy putting a face to a name. As I see it, the world is a big place and we can all have a different view of it. I have found it interesting (and some fun) to see how two different photographers at the same place/event can see the same action or things differently and make different images of the same subject. So, I don't see us as "competitors" but rather as people sharing a moment or a passion for capturing moments.

You folks have a nice day!

FULL COLOR (as seen by the eye)

Edited on Mar 24, 2014 at 04:19 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:55 PM
XV PHOTOGRAPHY

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

oh wow! I love her expression! nice shadow too, makes it complete

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

XV PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
oh wow! I love her expression! nice shadow too, makes it complete

Me too!

I am glad you noticed the shadow too.

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

Steady,
A wonderful image of a cute girl who is obviously having a lot of fun regardless of (because of?) being the subject of a photo shoot.
You sure get amazingly natural expressions from kids (especially) who know exactly what is going on, yet are really happy while doing it.
I understood the toning for western theme images, but not sure why you use it here.
But then, there's an awfully lot I don't understand , generally speaking .
Charlie

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:19 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

Good one! I see exuberant delight, with some joy topspin.

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Steady,
A wonderful image of a cute girl who is obviously having a lot of fun regardless of (because of?) being the subject of a photo shoot.
You sure get amazingly natural expressions from kids (especially) who know exactly what is going on, yet are really happy while doing it.
I understood the toning for western theme images, but not sure why you use it here.
But then, there's an awfully lot I don't understand , generally speaking .
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for adding your impressions or comments too.

I always appreciate your words as I truly appreciate your "eye" and photography!

Regarding the toning of this image:
1. I have it in full color and also in B&W. To my eyes it looks very good in full color too, but that is not how I have posted it.
2. I posted the Toned image (my favorite) because I like the look of it as a moment without color (more like a "memory" and those are seldom in color, in my view).

Why not post it in B&W? I thought of that, but prefer it this way and it is part of my portfolio from my trip, so consistent with the others that are toned (whether the person looks like a cowboy or not). .

Mar 24, 2014 at 04:02 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Good one! I see exuberant delight, with some joy topspin.

Hi Ernie!
Thanks for adding your nice impression comment too.

"Exuberant delight" is a good title too!

Mar 24, 2014 at 04:03 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

Great expression. The flying beads really add a dynamic feel.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:30 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

Very dramatic and dynamic compositions here Steadman! Yes the captured shadow and the "flying" necklace really lends to the emotion captured in the young lady's expression.

You have a great talent for doing this, i.e. capturing emotion in your subject's personality.

Dan

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:19 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Impressions 128: The Joy of Flying (and Play)

I like the toned image over the color. The toned image has a timeless feel to it. Great shot and processing.

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:38 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.