New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon DF or D700?

Sagar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon DF or D700?

I am a hobbyist (including a hobby of trying new gear here and there) and very much zeroed on Nikon FX. Where I am struggling is to decide between D700 vs DF. My primary interest is people (trying to do FPJ) and currently have 18-35G, 50/1.4G and 85/1.8G. I am looking for a camera which I can keep at least 3-5 years if not longer.

To keep it simple, keeping cost factor out, I am trying to decide between how good is ~5 year old 12M Pro Body vs latest and greatest 16M Nikon DF. I have tried both for handling and both seem good to me with DF being bit confusing, as I am used to Nikon DSLR style since D70 days

If you have to make a choice do you think its worth going for D700 now or better to go with DF specially since I am looking for next 5 yrs?

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon DF or D700?

DF, if it feels good in your hand.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon DF or D700?

The D700 is truly one of Nikon's all time greats - look at how popular it still is, what, 8+ years after intro? Not many bodies can claim that in the digital world.

But I think the used market on it is way overpriced. D3's and D700's seem now to be asking about the same in many cases.

If money is not an issue, I'd go Df. You'll lose $ as it depreciates and the next version comes out, but the files will be much better as will the high iso.

If a bit of an issue, why not a D600? For FX, a super deal

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon DF or D700?

Hard to go wrong with either. I have a Df so that's shows what I would do BUT it would be difficult to put up an argument against the D700. Especially since they can be had for a lot less money on the second hand market.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:17 AM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon DF or D700?

The Df is a stunning camera.

It really does make me want to shoot more and compared to my D3 it's light as a feather.

That being said I suggest you get a D700. The Df is great as a casual shooter and as a second camera but when you need the speed the D700 or D3 will be your horse.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon DF or D700?

The DF, as a casual user, the DF shots will have more dynamic range than the D700 shots, you will also have better high ISO from the DF, which all equates to easier post processing, which for a casual user will be a big help for you.

Also as a casual user, I don't see where a higher fps is going to be a big deal for you, the DF is plenty fast enough.

The controls might seem a bit different, but you will get used to them on the DF.

Jim

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon DF or D700?

If there is no budget reason, I see there is no obvious reason choose d700 over DF, unless you must need big body with better build and need 1/8000 shutter.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:14 PM
James L
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon DF or D700?

I was also very used to the controls and still am from a D80 to D300s and picked up a DF when it was released. Took some getting used to but love it for events and street and candids which would fall in there with FPJ. I set my auto ISO range and dont have to fool with the manual dials anyway.

My biggest complaint is battery life and lack of optional grip to date.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:25 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon DF or D700?

I think I would have to consider the D600/610 as well since you're a hobbyist. The RAW files from this sensor are outstanding.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:43 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon DF or D700?

Df is a great camera. Is it the best camera.... that you have to decide for yourself.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:45 PM
static808
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon DF or D700?

having used the d700's af system since it first came out (had a d300 previously), it would be hard for me to step down to the DF af system. while i think it is quite capable, having used a d7000, i do think the d700 system is still more sensitive/accurate and does indeed cover more area. this is critical for me since i rarely use the center point for focusing.

its a tough call, since the d700 is really old tech, and the DF sensor should crush the d700 sensor. who couldnt use more DR and high ISO capability? this would seriously be a much easier decision if nikon had released a proper replacement for the d700.

Edited on Mar 24, 2014 at 06:29 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2014 at 05:28 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon DF or D700?

i would echo and say go with a Df over a d700. while the d700 never stopped making bad images (the internets like to tell us otherwise), the Df is the camera that has the sensor performance for the future.
you also said it feels good in your hands..i second that after i decided to check one out and my eyeballs kinda popped out of their sockets just from the size and feel. you said price aside, but for me...i dont think i could ever drop that much money for a used D700 all things considered.

Mar 24, 2014 at 05:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon DF or D700?

I'm still holding onto my D700 but primarily because I didn't like the 36 megapixel D800 with its pain inducing grip and because I don't like the price tag on the Df. From everything I've read here and elsewhere, the Df looks like a very capable camera. When the price drops I'll likely pick one up, but as noted above, the D700 is certainly the hit of the last decade for Nikon. It is still an awesome camera, so I'm hardly suffering. But if price is no concern to you, then the Df makes sense, if only for the sensor alone. You can't imagine how wide my smile would have been had Nikon chosen to drop that sensor in the D700 body. That would be paradise...

Good luck sorting it out.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:14 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon DF or D700?

Thank you folks please keep them coming. I have read every post and carefully thinking what to do. Right now I am inclining towards current gear preferably DF, but still undecided to conclude.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:38 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon DF or D700?

I owned and loved the D700 for years, but there's just so much more in the newer bodies. Keep in mind that for the vast majority of uses, there's very little in the Df that is superior to the D610 -- and plenty that is inferior. The sensors are more alike than different, even at high ISO, and a bit of extra mp in the D610 is nice if you are cropping. More significantly, the second card slot is nice for a backup if you're shooting high pressure events, and it's nice to at least have the option of video and on-board flash.

The Df is a nice little body to handle -- just be sure that you recognize that you're paying that extra $1k for cosmetics more than anything.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:47 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon DF or D700?

CGrindahl wrote:
When the price drops I'll likely pick one up

Same here, but I predict it won't drop price if this is a special edition of camera that Nikon feel no pressure to sell them quick as they do with D610 and D800. especially D4S will use up full capacity of Nikon Japan.
The camera is niche product target small group so they have a price to match.

As for AF, the difference 'should' be small if there is any.(DF could be even superior) considering new faster processor and can focus down to f8...

I'd say it is a nice camera overall. People who bought it seems all love it. I can only hope get it at full price with some lens rebate later....

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon DF or D700?

You may be right Michael, but if that happens they won't be getting any money out of me. Of course, I'm not averse to picking up a used Df. That is what I did four years ago when I picked up a D700 for $2,000. That is a sort of benchmark for me. If I can pick up a used Df for that price that hasn't been beaten into the ground, I'll likely take the plunge. I love the D700 so much that if I never owned another camera I'd be content. I'm a hobbyist shooting almost exclusively with MF Nikkors and they LOVE the D700.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:07 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon DF or D700?

CGrindahl wrote:
You may be right Michael, but if that happens they won't be getting any money out of me. Of course, I'm not averse to picking up a used Df. That is what I did four years ago when I picked up a D700 for $2,000. That is a sort of benchmark for me. If I can pick up a used Df for that price that hasn't been beaten into the ground, I'll likely take the plunge. I love the D700 so much that if I never owned another camera I'd be content. I'm a hobbyist shooting almost exclusively with MF
...Show more

I think that a D600 would fit you well, as the viewfinder is better on the D600 than the D700

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:59 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon DF or D700?

leighton w wrote:
I think I would have to consider the D600/610 as well since you're a hobbyist. The RAW files from this sensor are outstanding.

Smiert Spionam wrote:
I owned and loved the D700 for years, but there's just so much more in the newer bodies. Keep in mind that for the vast majority of uses, there's very little in the Df that is superior to the D610 -- and plenty that is inferior. The sensors are more alike than different, even at high ISO, and a bit of extra mp in the D610 is nice if you are cropping. More significantly, the second card slot is nice for a backup if you're shooting high pressure events, and it's nice to at least have the option of
...Show more

I would consider these responses carefully. I'm a D700 fan but I'd sure take a long hard look at the D610 before dropping the hammer on a DF. The benefits of the "lesser" model are numerous.

Mar 24, 2014 at 09:18 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon DF or D700?

Thank you all, your feedback have been very valuable and it helped me looking beyond what I initially shortlisted and to make a decision.

As I started looking for D600/610 too I came across Canon Direct Loyalty Program and current 20% Off discount on refurb. Finally considering all the factors I ended up cancelling Nikon lens orders and went with Canon 5D Mark III, 40mm/f2.8, 85mm/1.8 and probably 17-40/f4 or 24-70/F4

Total kit cost is coming nearly same if I would have gone with Nikon DF with lenses. I consider Canon Refurb vs Nikon new as same since Canon offers full one year warranty on all refurbs.

Though I am a hobbyist who really likes Nikon pro bodies Build and Ergonomics, during the search I realized how lack of D700 upgrade gap directly resulted in purchase of competitor D700 replacement. I believe for the pros it would be much harder. Had Nikon released D700 upgrade with 16M/24M sensor or if DF had 51 pt AF, I would have definitely preferred Nikon.

Now I do know that for my intended purpose, 39AF DF/D610 would probably be more than sufficient, but looking mid term use (3-5 years) and same amount $ spend, I think Canon offered much better value.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.