Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Ice Cavern

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ice Cavern

So after what feels like an eternity since I had a day out shooting, my lady and I spent Sunday out with the cameras and mother nature. What a great day. I decided to check out one of my favourite winter spots. Before I got there I had a particular photo concept in mind but when I arrived I realised I needed my rubber boots and not the winter boots, I was wearing, to get the shots I wanted. Insert bad words! So, change of plans and I starting looking around for other ideas. That is when I found this and all my angst about forgetting my rubber boots was history! This is this kind of photo opp is what I love about winter. Makes putting up with the cold worth it....sort of! :/

I am also including a setup shot taken with my cell. Though the setup shot has my 17-55 on the camera and in portrait my actually setup for this photo was taken with my new Samyang 14mm in ladnscape orientation. I haven't used this lens much but I was very happy with how sharp was on this photo.

Hope you like the photo!

Click photo to view on black (recommended)!

Click here for a larger view!

7D+Samyang 14/2.8
ISO100 F11 1/20s

Thanks for looking!

Edited on Mar 26, 2014 at 08:03 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:52 AM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ice Cavern

Thank you for including the setup shot.

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:39 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ice Cavern

Nicely seen dude, great shot! I want so bad to have a shot with that kind of hoar frost in my portfolio. It must look awesome in your full rez image. I really like the colour you chose for the split tone also.

Edited on Mar 24, 2014 at 01:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:55 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ice Cavern

Hey Scott,

Very nice work with this. I would imagine the snow and ice will start melting soon?

So what does the crevice open up to?

Jim

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ice Cavern

wswartzwel wrote:
Thank you for including the setup shot.

You're welcome Bill. I often get too excited while shooting get a set up shot.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:24 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ice Cavern

Scott,

Great find. I do envy you sometimes you get access to snow scenes (but not when you are in -20C!). I like the comp and the sharp details throughout. Maybe its my monitor but I do find that image just a tad bit dark. Perhaps it's the vignette from the samyang.

Jason

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ice Cavern

Justin Grimm wrote:
Nicely seen dude, great shot! I want so bad to have a shot with that kind of hoar frost in my portfolio. It must look awesome in your full rez image. I really like the colour you chose for the split tone also.

Thank you Justin. I was in the same boat until yesterday. This one photo was the "fix" I needed to deal with a major case of photography withdrawal!!!!

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:29 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ice Cavern

JimFox wrote:
Hey Scott,

Very nice work with this. I would imagine the snow and ice will start melting soon?

So what does the crevice open up to?

Jim

Thank you Jim. Yes, I HOPE SO!!! I have been waiting VERY patiently for mother nature to smarten up!!! I am mostly looking forward to photographing ice break up on Lake Winnipeg and Lake of the Woods.

As for the crevice, it is just a very small area and there is water about a foot deep in the opening. This is actually part of a man made damn to control the lake's water level. With all the over spray from the "falls" created this icicles. I might return to this area this week. I'll be bring my rubber boots this time!

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:35 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ice Cavern

Beautiful capture Scott!
Well done!

Looks like you cheated with the setup image: posted a horizontal image, when showing a vertical setup!

Cheers!
Andrey

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:39 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ice Cavern

roguecoolman wrote:
Scott,

Great find. I do envy you sometimes you get access to snow scenes (but not when you are in -20C!). I like the comp and the sharp details throughout. Maybe its my monitor but I do find that image just a tad bit dark. Perhaps it's the vignette from the samyang.

Jason

Thanks Jason! -20 is almost t-shirt weather for us! Its the minus -45-50 with wind chill that I can do with out!!!!!

As for the darkness, it is a matter of taste. When I brought up the brightness in post the image lost definition in the highlights and I wasn't liking the overall look. Also, I wanted to create a more moody image then a realistic image.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:40 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ice Cavern

lionking wrote:
Beautiful capture Scott!
Well done!

Looks like you cheated with the setup image: posted a horizontal image, when showing a vertical setup!

Cheers!
Andrey

Thanks Andrew! Yes...but I did mention in my description the setup shot was not the setup for this photo. After that setup shot I was too involved in shooting to get another .

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:43 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ice Cavern

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Thanks Jason! -20 is almost t-shirt weather for us! Its the minus -45-50 with wind chill that I can do with out!!!!!

As for the darkness, it is a matter of taste. When I brought up the brightness in post the image lost definition in the highlights and I wasn't liking the overall look. Also, I wanted to create a more moody image then a realistic image.

I use to be tougher against the cold when I lived in Canada. Now that I'm in cali, I'm weak man! -5 and It's socks on time!

Moody image it is! I like the photo and of course its to artist taste.

Jason

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:45 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ice Cavern

Oh I was going to ask, did you focus stack this?

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:45 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ice Cavern

roguecoolman wrote:
I use to be tougher against the cold when I lived in Canada. Now that I'm in cali, I'm weak man! -5 and It's socks on time!

Moody image it is! I like the photo and of course its to artist taste.

Jason

Want to switch places?

roguecoolman wrote:
Oh I was going to ask, did you focus stack this?

I had taken multiples image with plans of focus stacking but when I opened up this image it didn't need it. I am very impressed with the sharpness edge to edge of this lens at F11. Very minimal CA too. Bang for buck it is a great lens only downfall is no filter support. So I wont be using this lens a lot but a nice addition to the camera bag!

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ice Cavern

Scott Kroeker wrote:
I am very impressed with the sharpness edge to edge of this lens at F11. Very minimal CA too. Bang for buck it is a great lens only downfall is no filter support. So I wont be using this lens a lot but a nice addition to the camera bag!

Whatabout the build quality? Is it really the first use-n-throw lens for dslr photography? How long do these last ?

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:52 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ice Cavern

Rohanban wrote:
Whatabout the build quality? Is it really the first use-n-throw lens for dslr photography? How long do these last ?

Mine feels solid as a tank! Metal housing and the focus ring feels tight and smooth. This lens is not perfect. It has some "moustache" distortion but when you factor in the $2000 price difference of the Canon 14/2.8 it is a great choice of lens. IMHO

Mar 24, 2014 at 04:21 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ice Cavern

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Mine feels solid as a tank! Metal housing and the focus ring feels tight and smooth. This lens is not perfect. It has some "moustache" distortion but when you factor in the $2000 price difference of the Canon 14/2.8 it is a great choice of lens. IMHO

+1!! build and picture quality is great! and you can fix the distortion very easily! Just download adobe lens profile and a few clicks and it goes away.

Jason

Mar 24, 2014 at 04:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ice Cavern

Nicely composed Scott.
The perspective and detail makes this one very unique.
Fred

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:54 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ice Cavern

Fred Miranda wrote:
Nicely composed Scott.
The perspective and detail makes this one very unique.
Fred

Thank you Fred. Thought this is a busy scene, a lot of thought went into the composition using the golden ratio so it is nice to receive a compliment on that.

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:11 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ice Cavern

Nice ice, Scott. Very interesting image.

Mar 25, 2014 at 01:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.