Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Not sure if I have presented the color version of this image before, and I much prefer its look in BW. That said, my client wants the color version for his gf who works in the building where this architectural detail is from.
FYI, this is Rowe's Wharf, Boston.
My main questions are technical: Color temp, noise, sharpness, detail, anything else. It will be sent out to a lab to print at 20x30.

Just out of interest I have included the BW variation as well.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2014

GoetzPhotoz 2014

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens    100mm    f/3.5    1/350s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 23, 2014 at 04:10 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

I really like the color version, Scott, and I think it is very nice the way it is.

Seeing prints side-by-side, I might have a different opinion but as seen here, I like the color version best. For me, there is just enough subtle color variation that it adds something over the B&W.

Also, seeing them side by side, I like the smoother, less grainy processing of the color shot. I think the smooth processing together with the color gives it a very pleasing, cream tone. It should look very classy indeed in someone's office.

I also like how you have included the doors/windows at the bottom and the rods at the top. For me, they don't distract at all but they provide just the right amount of "easter egg" quality that allows the viewers to have a little surprise with the reality after being captured by the overall abstract patterns.

Excellent work.

Mar 23, 2014 at 07:33 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #3 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Scott,
The color version looks great! Do you know how it will be framed & matted?
The client must like the warmth of this version. If I were to hang it on a blue wall I might cool it down just a bit but for almost any other color I would like it as-is.
Really nice photo.
Greg

Mar 23, 2014 at 08:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Scott ... now you're just showin' off.

Seriously, the color rocks.

My only nit at the color version is the specular wire in the TLC. The vibe of the color version is smooth tonal transitions and the specular wire draws me there harder than I'd like for it to. The smooth tone and hue transitions are "lovely" ... compared to the wire @ stark/HC.

It works okay in the mono version because we already have other areas of HC, but in the color, I'd look to tone it down (maybe only a smidgeon) if I could (unless of course, you want us to be drawn to it intentionally). One thing to watch for if you do start to tone it down is how much it balances to the shadow on the ceiling that it casts (i.e.don't tone it down too much).

Reality check ... likely nobody will notice or care. Again, only a "nit", but since you asked.

Mar 23, 2014 at 09:46 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Nice. Do you have the crop space to turn it further clockwise? FWIW

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:37 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Thanks for the feedback, folks.
Nice to know the color works for you. I almost felt it was a mistake on part of my client. Although, with something artistic/stylized, it is ultimately what sings to you. Just wasnt my concept.

Scott

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Just wanted to mention 2 more quick things:
- After reading Kent's post and looking again, I agree - it wouldn't hurt to tone down the specular highlights a bit on the main rod at the top left. I definitely wouldn't make the rod disappear - just damp the highlight a little.

- Besides the color, I can't help but feel that you made some different tone-mapping decisions between the two versions. For example, in the color version there is a very discernible trough in the arch that goes from the bottom left to the center of the image. It has a real three-dimensional quality in the color version that is almost missing in the B&W. I think that in general the color version has a more overall 3D feel to it where the B&W has a flatter, more graphic and abstract feel. I'm not trying to say one is bad and one is good - I just wanted to share my impressions after another look.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Dennis,
Thanks for the close attention and feedback.
Crops are slightly different.
More noise reduction in color version.
I agree there is more depth in the color. I must have lost some tonal gradations in conversion to BW. And I was going for the graphic, abstract, what is this? look.

Scott

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

+1 @ Dennis (i.e. not disappear, just possible tonal adjustment)

I'd agree with both that the color version is more discernible (likely reason for the many thumbs up) ... and that the B&W is more "What is this?". Looks like you've got a winner for either crowd.

Mar 26, 2014 at 01:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #10 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

I really like the color version.

Mar 26, 2014 at 07:51 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Would the client like it better with the noise smoothed? Many folks who've shot B & W enjoy film grain and digital noise that approximates grain. OTOH, many folks without a B & W background dislike the grain/noise effect and prefer a smooth image with sharp detail, which can be a fine juggling act. I'm fine with the grain in the B & W but suspect the color version would be better with noise reduction.

Mar 26, 2014 at 09:58 PM
hopesharaya

p.1 #12 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

I'm going to go against the crowd and say I like the B&W better. Makes the composition seem more cohesive for me. I think the noise looks nice in black and white too, almost film-grainy.

Apr 12, 2014 at 03:21 AM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #13 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Partial to the warmth of the color version and it works very well as a Black and White.

Apr 12, 2014 at 07:38 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

First time I've seen this - well seen and executed - prefer warmth of color version.

Bob

Apr 12, 2014 at 09:52 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Thanks folks.
Client is picking up a 20x30 color lustre print (from BayPhoto) this AM. I still prefer the BW and like the color but dont feel any Wow even looking at the big print. Hopefully he will be pleased with his selection for the various reasons many of you have enumerated.
Pixel peeping I see a bit of chroma noise in the final print. I doubt he will see it, wonder if I could see it once it is behind plexi or glass, and it is not visible at all at 18 inches, well short of the likely viewing distance and even up close viewing distance. Still, its a common issue of what matters in final print. I would not reprocess for less noise given those characteristics.
The issue of noise/grain-like effects in BW is of course different and sounds like a question of taste. The noise is more prominent in the BW and perhaps prevents it from being blander in texture? Maybe?
Scott

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

Dabbled with RW? I tend to agree about the BW having more potential, Aside CS6 reported the ICC profile was bad on the BW so I started from forcing it to sRGB.

Bob

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

BTW, I did tone down the highlights over the wire.Thanks to Kent for the observation, advice.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Troyryan

p.1 #18 · Gyroscopic Architecture (Re-Visited)

B&W def

Apr 24, 2014 at 03:02 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password