Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Gents, I am now officially joining your A7R club. Hold out for canon last 7 yrs and i can't wait any longer...

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

mttran wrote:
Gents, I am now officially joining your A7R club. Hold out for canon last 7 yrs and i can't wait any longer...

GL.

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:39 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

mttran wrote:

I got my A7R last week but have too many things on the go to give it a kick at the can. Will be going to Portland ( gorge ) next month so will be able to really evaluate it compared to my 5d2. Dynamic range in the Gorge is quite challenging so I have high hopes for the A7R.

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

I look forward to hearing from both of you.

Mar 30, 2014 at 08:47 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Coming from a 5D II, I find the DR quite amazing. I hope you are rewarded with some great shots!

-Tim

chez wrote:
I got my A7R last week but have too many things on the go to give it a kick at the can. Will be going to Portland ( gorge ) next month so will be able to really evaluate it compared to my 5d2. Dynamic range in the Gorge is quite challenging so I have high hopes for the A7R.

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Scott Stoness wrote:
I agree with this.

The d800 has more resolution and better dynamic range. And it can use the 14-24

The 5diii has very good resolution and dynamic range but less than the d800 however,
better lcd ( brighter)
better zoom and focus
better auto bracketing
6fps vs less
better focus
easy c1,c2,c3 settings
less quality control problems than nikon
and on and on
and it has better TS17, TS24, long lens
Better in all respects than d800 except for the first 2 critical issues

And don't forget the lousy LV implementation of the D800. TS-E lenses and good LV are a perfect match. They might have to release a D800s just to fix it.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM
titas
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

I agree with 'sb in ak' above.

Have you tried a 5D Mark III? It doesn't matter what you shoot, this camera just feels right in the hand. I know a lot of people would be up in arms for me saying this, but 5D MIII is a special camera, you would know if you shoot one.

I tried the D800, it's dynamic range is in a different league but the camera doesn't feel as good in hands. Very poor live view, color cast in LCD and somehow it feels sluggish. If you are a Canon user, you would find the interface odd. Unless you print huge posters, you won't see the difference in resolution. DR is needed but you can use filters to cope with extreme dynamic range in a scene. Just check the DxOMark - http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Which-lenses-should-you-choose-for-your-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs.-Nikon-D800-Competition-is-closer-than-expected, with good lenses 5D III can resolve close to D800.

What I realized is, first and foremost you need a camera that feels better/ more responsive in hand to get a good shot. If you have canon lenses, just get a 5D III, you won't regret it.

Titas

Apr 03, 2014 at 03:45 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

With the lossy compression, ~11-bit capture, and other infathomable Sony design decisions, I found the the A7R real-world performance to be closer to the 5D Mark II/II than it is to the D800E. Hopefully, some of the issues could be mitigated with a firmware upgrade, but I didn't want to wait for something that might never happen.

(and I've owned all of these cameras...I liked the D800E, just not enough to want to keep it)

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:18 PM
pKai
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Unless you need money to pay the rent and/or buy groceries (somehow I doubt this ), then keep it all. Use whatever the situation calls for. That's what I would do.

Apr 03, 2014 at 07:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.