Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

johnvanr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

So I'm stuck with a problem after acquiring too much gear and the need to ditch some, both for my photographic enjoyment and the health of my wallet. Like many here, I'm overthinking this. I admit to that.

I have a Canon 5DIII and a bunch of Canon lenses, having shot Canon for many years. I also have the Nikon D800e which lured me with its awesome resolution. I have just a few lenses for the Nikon. I also bought the Sony A7R and the metabones adapter, which gives me the Nikon's resolution with the Canon lenses.

These are my experiences, purely subjective:
- I think the Canon is the best camera in terms of usability
- I love some of the Canon glass I have, esp. the 135/2 and the 24-70/2.8II
- the Sony drives me nuts with its loud shutter and slowness, but provides nice files
- the Nikon is very capable overall and the best at 36mp

FWIW: I also have a complete Olympus E-M1 system, which I would use for city/travel shooting, whereas the Canon/Nikon would be for studio work and the Sony/Nikon would be preferred for landscapes.

Photography is for me about the user experience AND the final result. Both need to be satisfying.

I was on the point of selling the Nikon gear and keeping the Canon, the Sony and the Canon lenses, but I now doubt the wisdom of that move. Rationally, I admit I don't even need 36mp, so I could just use Canon, but I also know myself well enough that I keep yearning for more resolution, just in case.

So, I have the choice:

- keep Canon plus Sony: more speed if needed, smaller if need be, keep my Canon lenses
- keep just Nikon: less gear overall, enough speed, miss those Canon lenses, cheaper

Final consideration to add more complexity: I don't shoot video right now, but I might get more serious about it.

I know this is all subjective, so I'm not asking what I should pick. I'm curious what you would do to make this decision easier? What practical issues would guide you or what actions would you take to help you making the choice?

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2014 at 02:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

So you have all three bodies and are asking us?

EBH

Mar 22, 2014 at 03:01 PM
taz_k

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

IMO it comes down to if the D800e resolution is really important to you? To me the combination of Canon 5DIII and Sony A7r seems like the best combination. You don't have to buy a lot of new lenses, can use adapter with A7R and still get AF. Only downside is 5DIII not being 36Mpx but how often does it matter...

I've been using Nikon for many years and have a D800 + Sony A7. I would easily give up some pixels if usability and weight got better. I'm considering selling the D800 but so far sensor reflections and posterization of Sony RAW-files is holding me back.

I guess we can count on Canon to come with a high MP camera soon as well.

Mar 22, 2014 at 03:37 PM
johnvanr
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

EB-1 wrote:
So you have all three bodies and are asking us?

EBH

You're not really contributing much, are you? I'm not asking for a choice, but for some ideas to get out of the logjam.

Mar 22, 2014 at 04:05 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Over complication will result in many cameras and depending on individual comprized experience.
Pick one stick with it and get next only when its limiting you. There is only one cure to satisfy yearnings and you are experiencing some limitations of that approach.

Mar 22, 2014 at 04:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

I have come to the conclusion that the Nikon Df and the Sony A7R are related through hipsterism

Mar 22, 2014 at 04:09 PM
Picture This!
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

I ditched the D800e in favor of the Sony A7r. I love the canon 135/2 and the peerless 17 and 24 TS-E lenses. Overall I'm very pleased with the decision. In your shoes, I'd keep the canon 5d3 (for its great AF and handling) and the Sony A7r for its resolution and portability.

I'm hopeful Sony will release firmware updates to enable lossless RAW files. Let's see.

Mar 22, 2014 at 04:31 PM
edl415
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

johnvanr wrote:
So I'm stuck with a problem after acquiring too much gear and the need to ditch some, both for my photographic enjoyment and the health of my wallet. Like many here, I'm overthinking this. I admit to that.

You have four systems. You need to define "ditch some" in greater detail - are you going to sell off one, two, or three systems?

johnvanr wrote:
I'm curious what you would do to make this decision easier? What practical issues would guide you or what actions would you take to help you making the choice?

Open LR, metadata filter your library, and see what equipment you used the most over the past year. I would keep the system I use the most and sell the rest.

Mar 23, 2014 at 03:43 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

There is no way I'd have three very similar camera systems. Pick one and build it.

Kent in SD

Mar 23, 2014 at 06:56 AM
BSPhotog
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

You're talking about usability and experience, but three incompatible camera systems seems to detract from the experience across the board. I don't have experience with your particular problem or any of the specific equipment, but I feel like your experience would be best to at least stick to one system that can share lenses across different bodies.

Think of the glass you could buy if you shed one of those extra high end camera bodies and the extraneous lenses!

Mar 23, 2014 at 07:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ripolini
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Hi,
I'm a Nikon user, nevertheless I would suggest you to continue using your Canon gear only.
5DMkIII files are good enough for most of highly demanding professional work.
However, if you feel that on occasion you 'need' larger files for some reason, the Sony body is a preferable tool because it's less obtrusive than D800e and - most important - it can work with your EOS lenses. Beware of its vibrating shutter though. You can also buy a couple of FE-series lenses for those occcasions when you want to travel light, and leave home your Canon gear.

Mar 23, 2014 at 08:43 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Hey John,

You probably won't like my suggestion, but I say ditch the Canon 5DIII, ditch the Sony, and just keep the D800. Sometimes... it's fun to just start over. Especially with a system centered around the D800. You own it, you know just how awesome it is.

Take the money you get back from all that gear, buy another lens or two for the D800, and take the rest to go on a fantastic vacation where you can put the D800 through it's paces!

Jim

Mar 23, 2014 at 09:51 AM
johnvanr
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

edl415 wrote:
You have four systems. You need to define "ditch some" in greater detail - are you going to sell off one, two, or three systems?

Open LR, metadata filter your library, and see what equipment you used the most over the past year. I would keep the system I use the most and sell the rest.

I started a blog that's partly about gear and had to get up to speed with what's out there. So, I've used tons of stuff, both purchased and rented, and my user figures for the past year are no reflection for what I'd normally shoot. I also feel that I need to keep both DSLR and mirrorless to be able to write about both. I just don't need two DSLR systems.

Mar 23, 2014 at 04:30 PM
johnvanr
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

To Jim: You know, I keep coming back to your suggestion, even after I've already packed up the Nikon to be sold. It seems the clean solution, the one that leaves me with the least gear, but I can't pull that trigger. That's partly because whenever I need to take a quick shot at home, I reach for the Canon over any of the other stuff lying around.

Mar 23, 2014 at 04:33 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

You reach for the Canon because you are comfortable with it.

Three different systems make you an expert on none.

IMO, your photography gets better when your camera is simply an extension of yourself, not three cameras, motorcycles, cars, or what have you.

It would be one thing if it was two Nikon bodies, or two Canon bodies...

Get it down to one system, then quit buying stuff!
Or just buy lenses to help achieve your potential.

Mar 23, 2014 at 04:41 PM
woos
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Okay... so the choice is clear: Canon. Don't second guess yourself. There's nothing wrong with Canon or Nikon blah blah blah. If you love Canon usability, go with it! If you need extra DR on a shot now and then install ML, the resolution difference from having dualISO mode on will NEVER be visible at web size (some purposefully set up moire type example doesn't count, shoo) or at any moderate print size. Get to 16x24 or something or above though with something and it damn well will be in most cases, but eh. There's also stitching if you need ultra high rez.

I wouldn't even bother with the A7R, just use your Canon body and invest in more lenses on the body you love.

Mar 23, 2014 at 07:12 PM
funwithlight
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Just dump the Canon stuff and make your transition to the light side complete

disclosure: I keep a 5D Mark II kicking around purely for the one Canon lens I could never part with (200mm f/1.8) but I know when to use it and most of the time it lies buried under my bed. I am pretty content with that. It's precious to me.

Mar 23, 2014 at 07:13 PM
edl415
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

johnvanr wrote:
I just don't need two DSLR systems.

Then based on what you've written in this thread, you should sell Nikon and keep Canon.

If you're still hesitant to get off the fence try this - box up all your Nikon equipment, shove it in a closet and just shoot with Canon for a few months. Then do the opposite. Once you're done with that experiment, it should be obvious which system you like most.

Mar 23, 2014 at 08:01 PM
aut0maticdan

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

johnvanr wrote:
These are my experiences, purely subjective:
- the Sony drives me nuts with its loud shutter and slowness, but provides nice files
- the Nikon is very capable overall and the best at 36mp

Personally, I would just have one compact/mirrorless system and one SLR system. For the SLR system, I'd go with the one that has lenses which make me happiest. For you, that sounds like Canon. Except.....

johnvanr wrote:
FWIW: I also have a complete Olympus E-M1 system, which I would use for city/travel shooting, whereas the Canon/Nikon would be for studio work and the Sony/Nikon would be preferred for landscapes.

Sounds like you have a good compact kit in the olympus. The Sony is not very compact when you add in the lenses. What's interesting here is you feel the Nikon is ideal for both the studio and landscape work while the Canon and Sony are only ideal for one or the other.

johnvanr wrote:
Rationally, I admit I don't even need 36mp, so I could just use Canon, but I also know myself well enough that I keep yearning for more resolution, just in case.

Just in case of what? I think this is key especially since you generally have a preference for the Canon. A high res body is likely around the corner. Why build up so many other systems when you could just wait and drop less money on a new Canon body later?

johnvanr wrote:
Final consideration to add more complexity: I don't shoot video right now, but I might get more serious about it.

I can relate to your mindset as I often find myself getting into similar binds. Its best for your mental health not to accumulate so much stuff for "just in case." You'll probably be happier and more focused if you let a little go and simplify to what you need right now. Buy smart and challenge yourself to squeeze the most out of what you have to meet various circumstances. You'll probably have less anxiety about which tool to use for which thing or what to bring on vacation with you. If you do get into video down the road, I bet there will be something even better for video than there is right now. The same thing goes for high resolution. The last thing you want to do is to invest in technology now for things you may want to do in the future.

Based on what you said, I would just keep the Canon and the Olympus.

Mar 23, 2014 at 08:25 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e?

Having four camera systems means you will never feel comfortable with all of them even if you shoot full time. This is a serious case of GAS.

What I would do to make this decision easier? Stick to only 1 system (and maybe fix a budget for photo gear!)

1) The D800E is the most capable camera now in terms of res and DR, you will get used to the UI soon enough you are just used to canon.

2) We are 2 years-ish in the the camera release cycle. Canon will have a higher res body soon, you like the two lenses there is no good nikon alternative for, their UI and saying you don't have to have 36MP anyway. No need to buy more nikon lenses.

Even as a D800E owner, in your shoes with your requirements I'd stick with the canon.

Mar 23, 2014 at 09:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password