Upload & Sell: On
| p.1 #1 · Luxury problem: 5DIII + A7R or D800e? |
So I'm stuck with a problem after acquiring too much gear and the need to ditch some, both for my photographic enjoyment and the health of my wallet. Like many here, I'm overthinking this. I admit to that.
I have a Canon 5DIII and a bunch of Canon lenses, having shot Canon for many years. I also have the Nikon D800e which lured me with its awesome resolution. I have just a few lenses for the Nikon. I also bought the Sony A7R and the metabones adapter, which gives me the Nikon's resolution with the Canon lenses.
These are my experiences, purely subjective:
- I think the Canon is the best camera in terms of usability
- I love some of the Canon glass I have, esp. the 135/2 and the 24-70/2.8II
- the Sony drives me nuts with its loud shutter and slowness, but provides nice files
- the Nikon is very capable overall and the best at 36mp
FWIW: I also have a complete Olympus E-M1 system, which I would use for city/travel shooting, whereas the Canon/Nikon would be for studio work and the Sony/Nikon would be preferred for landscapes.
Photography is for me about the user experience AND the final result. Both need to be satisfying.
I was on the point of selling the Nikon gear and keeping the Canon, the Sony and the Canon lenses, but I now doubt the wisdom of that move. Rationally, I admit I don't even need 36mp, so I could just use Canon, but I also know myself well enough that I keep yearning for more resolution, just in case.
So, I have the choice:
- keep Canon plus Sony: more speed if needed, smaller if need be, keep my Canon lenses
- keep just Nikon: less gear overall, enough speed, miss those Canon lenses, cheaper
Final consideration to add more complexity: I don't shoot video right now, but I might get more serious about it.
I know this is all subjective, so I'm not asking what I should pick. I'm curious what you would do to make this decision easier? What practical issues would guide you or what actions would you take to help you making the choice?