Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tis The Season.....

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tis The Season.....

....FOR BASEBALL.

Season opener for the college I shot for. D-III King's College vs DeSales. Canon Mark IV and 400 2.8.

BACK STORY: I killed my 1DX and had to take it to the repair shop. I bent the focusing screen frame and it has to be taken apart to bend back. No idea how....but my finger caught it and poof.....probably couldn't do it again if I tried. But it was an opportunity to get the rust off the MKIV and me....

Mar 22, 2014 at 08:08 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tis The Season.....

Shots 6 - 10

The last three was the ejection. This manager didn't say a word the entire game....not a peep.

In #8 - he told the up he didn't say a word all game.
In #9 - he said this was the only call he got right the entire game and you should have tossed me 2 minutes ago and gets some applause from his team.
In #10 - he says farewell.

And I think the ump whispered the ejection. No body language or the typical universal toss indicator....

Thanks for Looking
Frank

Mar 22, 2014 at 08:17 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tis The Season.....

So the 400 is back and the 1Dx is out for repair? Wow, it's been an eventful time for your equipment lately, Frank! Seeing your baseball shots brings about a welcome change of gears visually. I like 'em, with #'s 5 and 6 as my favorites. With 1 and 4, if there is any way for you to adjust your angle just enough to get that dreadful yellow foul pole out of the image, it'd be worth the effort. Keep 'em coming, buddy!

Mar 22, 2014 at 09:11 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tis The Season.....

Hey Frank,

So, you brought up the IV from the "minors" and it's performing well. Glad to final see some ball after this nasty winter. Question for you, as I don't shoot much baseball. Not knowing the distance from the lens here, but would f/3.2 or maybe 4 allow the ball into the DOF without destroying the bokeh (re: #1)?

Regards,
Matt

Mar 22, 2014 at 09:53 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tis The Season.....

Russ...thanks buddy. Yeah...talk about luck - huh? But the up side is there is a local repair shot literally 150 yards up the road from me and he's so reasonable and the guy can fix anything.

Matt....I sometime forget how excellent the MKIV image quality is. I'm going to have to use it more often.

So I'll answer yours and Russ' question together.

I can eliminate the pole (at times) but it depends what's going on in the dugout area.....because that is where I'm at. Sometimes coaches and players prevent me from getting in my optimum spot and I'm normally on the 1st base side. If I get closer on the home plate side of the dugout....I would probably be a bit close for the 400 at the plate for getting shots the SID needs of the batters.

Matt.....I'm attaching 2 additional shots that were shot at 3.5. Let me know what you think. I don't think I shot any batter shots at 4.0. Also no poles in these too

Mar 23, 2014 at 07:59 AM
kateman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tis The Season.....

Mr. Lauri,
I dont think i have commented regarding your images before so,
#4 is a great capture...as a funny(?) aside...is it fair that the infielder
has a third foot?
still a great image
thanks for sharing
B

Mar 23, 2014 at 08:02 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tis The Season.....

Frank,

Kinda of what I excepted as I don't think there really is a way to get it done without bringing the background more into focus. Assuming for the moment the distance to the batter is approx 50', the DOF using the 400 on the MkIV at f/2.8 is 7 1/4", here at f/3.5 it's 9" and it would take f/8.0 to expand it to 20 1/2" which kind of approaches the distance seen above. BTW: using the 1D-X only brings it back to f/6.3. I rarely shoot above f/4 usually stuck between 2.8 & 3.5, just as you, in order to isolate a subject.

Oh, and note to self on using the X, don't put my fingers were Frank did

Matt

Mar 23, 2014 at 09:05 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tis The Season.....

Bret...thanks for checking these out and commenting. When shooting....I never really check out every detail on the LCD and until I get it on the monitor....it's sometimes pretty funny on what the end result is...such as an extra foot...and other things too.

Matt...I'll have to keep this in mind this week and try some things.

With me trying to destroy my 1DX....it might be as simple as not doing these things before 9:00 AM. I knew I was shooting a game after work so I was collecting my gear when I got up (approx. 4:30AM) and when I took the lens off the camera I saw a piece of lint inside where the mirror was. Thus...putting my finger somewhere I shouldn't have. Next time I use tweezers.

Thanks Again
Frank

Mar 23, 2014 at 01:18 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tis The Season.....

Sorry to hear about the X, but the IV filled in nicely. Very nice shots and it was nice of the SS (2B?) to lift his head enough to eliminate the harsh shadow in #7.

Bill

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:43 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tis The Season.....

Sorry to hear about the X, but the IV filled in nicely. Very nice shots and it was nice of the SS (2B?) to lift his head enough to eliminate the harsh shadow in #7.

Bill

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:43 AM
scorpio1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tis The Season.....

Good stuff Frank. Really digging #3 as they're both looking at the Ump waiting to heart him make the call.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM
scorpio1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tis The Season.....

Good stuff Frank. Really digging #3 as they're both looking at the Ump waiting to heart him make the call.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.