Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Robot DNA

gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Robot DNA

Earlier this week i submitted an entry for the WA titled 'Robot DNA'. I liked the image and the concept, and I had a little extra time today, so I re-shot it and spent a little time composing in PS. This photo is a composite of just 2 shots. One shot for the background and one for the double-helix-diodes. I re-used the double-helix via layers.
I would love a little feedback on the composition and color. And is the concept itself fun and/or interesting.
Thanks
Greg

gdgood photography 2014

Robot DNA version1

Canon EOS-1D X    EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/32.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

gdgood photography 2014

Robot DNA version 2

Canon EOS-1D X    EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/32.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

gdgood photography 2014

Robot DNA version 3

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM
ej0581

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Robot DNA

I think it's a cool concept and well executed. The only minor improvement that I could see would be a bit more vibrancy in the second image.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Robot DNA

I find it hard to figure out how to comment on these very creative entries.
But I will try.
First and foremost, I applaud your vision and creative effort.
Second, I think they are all well-executed and I think the depth you have developed make these images jump from the screen!
I like all, including the less vibrant second entry. Perhaps the second works best as part of a series of variations, as presented.
Third evokes for me a festive celebration in front of a theatre (looks almost like empty seats lined up in the background, viewing the ribbon like streamers!
Overall, third creates the strongest response, resonances for me.

Scott

Mar 23, 2014 at 03:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Soroboto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Robot DNA

Interesting, I think if the double-helices had some sort of organization to them rather than randomly scattered across the background, it would catch the eye more. Also the red, blue & black color pattern of the helix makes me think of a ribbon rather than DNA, I'm not sure what other color pattern to suggest aside from very plain tones since I'm not sure what a good color representation would be for DNA.

Overall great stuff and interesting idea! I love robot + DNA concepts.

Mar 28, 2014 at 04:19 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Robot DNA

Thanks for the responses ej0581, Scott and Soroboto. I've been thinking about the concept and I believe I could do better with this. It does need a better tie-in to robotics somehow. Plus, I'm not sure if I would ever print and hang any of these. Or where I would hang them.

If I come up with anything I will share it on this thread.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Greg

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Soroboto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Robot DNA

Have you looked at any actual DNA stains? There might be some inspiration there. The dyes and contrast stains that scientists use can be quite captivating. They mostly have a fluorescent character to them.

Mar 28, 2014 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password