Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

I have a D7100 which I mainly use for shooting birds and moving targets. I had thought of adding a D800 for the increased resolution but with the Sony A7R sale going the wheels started turning. I like the idea of having a smaller setup (lighter is good as we get older) for traveling while not sacrificing IQ. It seems like the Sony has some quirks and the lens selection right now is pitiful but for mostly shooting landscapes and the best IQ does this make sense? Now that the Sony has been out for awhile any of you who can share your comments would be appreciated.

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:48 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

Since the first NEX camera I was lusting to add a secondary small camera system... Finally I decided for myself that two systems are too expensive to grow under the same roof (read pocket). So I added a D5200 to my D800 and I could not be happier. For street & travel this camera is very capable and I really do not think that I'd be happy with something smaller than that.

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:40 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

The Sony is pretty expensive, much more than then your D7100. I went with a Fuji X-T1, cheaper and it has a very good stable of lenses, with more coming on line in the near future. The reason I added a light camera is my Nikon stuff is real heavy, much more so than a D7100.

I'd consider selling your Nikon stuff and commit to the Sony r7 or Oly MD E-M1system.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

The D800 is a beefier camera and is more stable when held, especially if you have big hands. Also I feel that the Nikon is more of a "Pro" camera and you can use Capture NX2 to process the files . I think the Nikon produces richer files? Both are awesome cameras!

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

James - thanks, but I really don't have any interest in selling my Nikon gear. I do like the D7100 and will continue to use it for shooting wildlife, especially birds. As I mentioned, the thought of the Sony A7r would be to give me a smaller kit for traveling and I probably would use it mainly for landscapes or occasions where I don't want to take the big gear. Yes, the Sony isn't cheap but it is less than a D800 and still gives you a whopper of a sensor.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:47 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

The D800's big claim to fame is it's base iso DR and resolution. If those attributes are your priorities, and you want the best digital in a 35mm variant, that's your camera. Especially since you already own Nikon lenses, it makes the most sense to me.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

For birding and a lighter outfit you might consider the GH3 + new 100-300 lens
(effective lenght 600mm).
I sold my D7100 and D600 to buy a D800e
I sold my D800 to buy a GH4 for unlimited Video.

Mar 22, 2014 at 09:23 AM
Herbc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Contemplating D800 or Sony A7R??

I both- the Nikon is certainly what I use for work I would want to exhibit, but the Sony is the walkabout winner.

Mar 22, 2014 at 09:43 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.