New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Large format printer

DrBobF

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Large format printer

As I have mentioned in some of my othe posts, I'm attempting to set up an enviroment to do both my consulting work and graphics side line.
My consulting work is doing product development ( hardware and software ) and have moved all my platforms into a dated but still relevant multi- boot 8 core Mac Pro. I run a host of Cad, schematic capture and PCB layout graphics packages. To that end, I need to assemble several other updated peripherals.

Besides a larger display ( another topic ), I need to figure out a new printer solution.
Like the old adage, jack of all trades, master of none, applies to the all in one machines like the the HP office inkjet I currently use. The last real plotter I had was many moons ago and was a HP HPGL, so I'm dating myself.

I need to be able to print up to 11 X 17 taboid plain paper fand transparency for plotting Cad drawings including PCB layouts and schematics. On the photo and graphics side, up to the same size but on photo paper.
Something non laser which would be an inkjet of the proumer ilk for now. I'm thinking 1200 X 1200 - 6 ink with the ability to get to a 13" X 19" would be optimum.

Any suggestions from experience?

Mar 21, 2014 at 03:43 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Large format printer

Certainly any printer capable of printing photos should be of high enough quality for CAD drawings and other design work. Companies such as Epson manufacture large format printers specifically geared toward that type of work and are less expensive than photo quality printers. For photo quality printers, there may be a "draft" mode on the printer that could help save in ink costs when not requiring the highest quality.

I have done little transparency work myself, but will be experimenting with it some more in the coming months. As I understand it, the key is choosing a transparency that is compatible with inkjet printers (as opposed to laser, etc).

Epson, Pictorico, and others have such films.

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:50 AM
DrBobF

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Large format printer

I've know of gently used Brother MCF-6890CDW. It is a All in one, but 11 X 17 ( tabloid ) capable with a four cart. BL, Y, C,M inkjet print engine. It has dual paper trays. It also offers a 11 X 17 scanner top side. The resolution is purported as being up to 6000 X1200.

Any thoughts on this or Brother in general?

Bob

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:55 PM
rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Large format printer

Canon Pro 100 - about $125 after rebates...can do up to 13x19 easily...(buy two to save on future ink purchases...buy from different stores so you are eligible for two different rebates)

This is a dye ink printer - but you do not need the 300 year permanence of pigment inks (the dye inks will last for a few years behind glass even with some exposure to direct sunlight).

Why spend a lot of money...this printer (I own and use it) is wonderful: great colors; easy to set up...and cheap!

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:34 AM
DrBobF

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Large format printer

yes I see your point. At the end of the day, sounds pretty inexpensive for being able to do 13X19. I'm liking that.
How about the ink cost. Thanks for the info.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM
rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Large format printer

use third party inks...can you do basic tinkering?

http://www.precisioncolors.com/index.html

There are a million great threads about the Canon Pro 100 here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1003

such as: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53356126

You are eligible for more than one rebate IF you purchase from different stores - and the rebate has a different code (99% of the time when you purchase from different stores it is a different code).

Anyway, I have this printer...and put prints in a sunny facing window...no fading for 6+ months. I just wanted to do a basic test of the longevity of these inks (very good so far)...and the colors from the printer are wonderful. So I highly recommend getting two for extra inks; extra cartridges should you go the third party ink route...and for replacement (if you print heavily the waste ink tray will fill up - and only Canon can replace that).

Mar 26, 2014 at 08:15 AM
DrBobF

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Large format printer

Thanks for the information on the inks. I'll hit the links to further educate myself on the canon pros.
It is looking as my best option so far.
Bob

Mar 26, 2014 at 08:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.