Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gymnastics Blog Post

I've never done this before here in the Sports Corner (forum rules do not appear to prohibit it) but I am posting a link to a blog entry I just posted in which I review my photographing of the 2014 Utah Gymnastics home season. There are many more photos and much more text than would be appropriate here, but there's a chance some here who have followed my gymnastics posts might be interested in the information and photos presented (though admittedly, most of them probably have been posted here at one time or another).

Here's the link.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM
kateman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Russ,
I followed your link, but felt that the endorsement should be seen/heard here.
Just one small, two word phrase...
Simply. Superb.

everyone of those of us that follow and admire
your work should see this.
as always, thanks for sharing!
b

Mar 21, 2014 at 01:44 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Bret: As always, thank you. If nothing else, it should be evident I put a fair amount of time into the presentation, so I'm glad to know you enjoyed it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 01:56 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Russ,

Loved the LINK!!!! I almost never comment on your gymnastics posts but I look at them all and I look at them in awe......

Thanks for sharing.

Trevor

Mar 21, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Absolutely Fantastic! So happy to have high speed internet so I could see these. Thanks for sharing!
Always enjoy seeing your work.

Mar 21, 2014 at 04:27 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Wow, simply beautiful work Russ. You have probably posted this in the past, but what is your typical body, lens setup.

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:55 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Thanks for sharing this Russ. It's a great pleasure to follow your work.

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Many thanks, Kenneth. Glad you were able to check them out.

Thank you, Dale. I included lens information in the blog post, and since many were mentioned across the different events, I'll refer you there. My primary camera body was a Canon 1Dx.

Larry: It's my pleasure to share my work. Thank you for following it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:48 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Russ, thanks for taking the time to put this together, we all "here" appreciate it, did you do this in your "spare time"
Thanks, Bob

Mar 22, 2014 at 06:53 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Simply awesome Russ. And I love the title.

Frank

Mar 22, 2014 at 06:58 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Wonderful read my friend. This is a great look "inside" the events and how the Master continually strives to capture its athleticism, grace and beauty.

again... It doesn't get better than this folks

Matt

Mar 22, 2014 at 08:09 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Trevor: Sorry I missed you with my last post. Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you enjoy the images.

Bob: Yes, my spare time. Thanks for your support.

Frank: Paisan, thank you!

Hey Matt, thanks man. Means a lot to me and I appreciate your enthusiastic support.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Russ,
I saw your blog and I echo the sentiments of everyone else, I loved it and you described the work you do and the venue very well. After shooting the Eastern Michigan team for a couple of years now, and yesterday's conference championships I can say with even more envy, I WISH I SHOT BESIDE YOU! We got the meet at the Convocation Center, not the "cave" old Field House where the meets are held. I thought ISO4000-5000, 1/500th, and f/3.2 was amazing with my D3S, 24-70 & 70-200. I'll post some of mine soon, but they won't hold muster when compared to yours. In comparison, Central Michigan won the meet with a 196.475, a full 1.35 clear of runner up Kent State. Everyone thought the judging at to apparatus was tough, one beam judge was constantly the low scorer too. But then, I digress.

GREAT shots again, and great blog post. Thanks for sharing!

Mar 23, 2014 at 01:25 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gymnastics Blog Post

Thanks, Steven. Let's see those shots! I'll be interested to see what the 1/500 looks like. Truth is that most of the better gymnastics shots are not from high-movement moments, but 1/800 is the lowest I've gone.

Yesterday, Utah made a statement in pulling away from the field (which contained 3 of the nation's top 11 teams) to win the Pac-12 Championships with a team score of 197.925. Two more performances like that and they could be taking sizes for two rings. Go Utes!

Mar 23, 2014 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.