Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

shogo73

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

shogo73 wrote:

i love the old 8mm 2.8 (despite the blue-purple left and right sides).

i wonder the same thing. i e-mailed samyang.pl. i will post what they say, when i hear back from them.

could not get any useful info from them. they appear to be taking the position that there was nothing wrong with the older 8mm.
How did they improve the new one over the old version? who knows...

got rerouted to "support at elite brand" with the question. if anyone knows how to contact samyang support, please let me know.

Apr 14, 2014 at 05:31 PM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

The new 8mm appears to have an added element and it is bit longer overall than the original 8mm at least for the Fuji X-mount. I think the write up also states ED glass in the second version.

Alan

Apr 15, 2014 at 03:57 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

I got my copy of the 12mm for x-mount a few days ago and did some preliminary testing.

distortion is quite low, easily corrected when and if needed
F2 is soft overall, not horrible but still softer than f2.8
quite a bit of vignetting at f2, less at f2.8 and much less at f4 and mostly gone by f5.6
corners are a little soft, not bad starting at f2.8 and much better at f5.6
my copy appears to have a strange yellowish cast in part of the image, not sure if this is just my copy, need to do some testing. It is not a conversion artifact, visible in viewfinder.

Still a very nice lens for the price. I am hoping that another copy will cure the problem that I saw over the weekend.

A write up I did and some sample images are here:
http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/04/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-for-x-mount-a-first-look/

Alan

Apr 15, 2014 at 04:02 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Thanks for that writeup. That color cast blotching is very strange. Will be curious to see if a second copy does the same thing. Were you shooting under fluorescents?

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

shogo73

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

apsphoto wrote:
The new 8mm appears to have an added element and it is bit longer overall than the original 8mm at least for the Fuji X-mount. I think the write up also states ED glass in the second version.

Alan

thanks for this info!

and thank you for the write up for the 12mm!!!

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:56 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

apsphoto wrote:

Alan

I just received the new 8mm and will post some shots tonight. I posted one image from last night here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1097477/233#12279158

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:03 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Jman13 wrote:
Thanks for that writeup. That color cast blotching is very strange. Will be curious to see if a second copy does the same thing. Were you shooting under fluorescents?

No I was shooting outside on my deck, in the shade, it was a nice sunny day. It will take a couple of weeks to get a replacement as they are closed for Passover, so hopefully sometime next week or so.

Thanks all for the comments.

Alan

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:11 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password