Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

HopeIsEternal wrote:
Ridiculous! The Sony E-mount and electronic communication is supposed to be open and royalty free but Samyang still can't build an autofocus lens for it?

Damn! The price is quite good for under $400 for a FF 35mm f/1.4 lens but I wonder if having an autofocus motor and electronic aperture linkage would have raised the production price by more than $50.

There are currently no pictures for the FE mount Samyangs on B&H but $450 - $500 for a small form factor AF 24mm & 35mm f/1.4 with the respectable optical quality of Samyang's recent fast primes would be a
...Show more

i bet it'd be quite a bit more expensive for them since they don't make any AF lenses now as far as i know. all they had to do here is add a metal tube to an already existing lens, which is super cheap. designing a completely new lens and figuring out how to make AF work well would be something else entirely

Mar 23, 2014 at 03:38 PM
mountain_drew
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

I found this information on the 12mm on Samyang's website. Any thoughts?

And the 14mm graph for the purpose of comparison :

And I also found a picture, which is not that great except for the fact that they chose to capture something that has straight lines, which suggests that they expect good performance for architectural work.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

mountain_drew wrote:
Samyang probably makes money off of volume. They can just slap a new lens mount and their R&D becomes more profitable. Adding autofocus would definitely limit their ability to do that while adding costs. I think it's a good business model, especially given that their lenses are good. I'm curious as to how they will deal with the new mirrorless trend and if they will release smaller MF lenses in different focal length (35mm, 50mm, and so on). If they could release lenses that compete with rangefinder lenses in terms of size with the usual Samyang quality, I'm sure they
...Show more

But can you tell me that Samyang would push less volume if their lenses were AF capable (or even just aperture linked) than their current dumb barrel approach.

In the case of E-mount there is absolutely no need to reverse engineer the electronic mount or AF system -- Sony will give that to you for free or close to free.

If Samyang has the smarts and know-how to design and manufacture good quality optics surely the aperture linking/ROM/AF mechanism can't be rocket science when you have the specifications/documentation and test suites provided to you.. Plus having electronic linkage and AF would definitely let them sell probably 10x as many lenses as they do today and would allow them to slightly raise prices over and beyond what the AF R&D costs them given the relatively high prices (or even non-existence) of the OEM lens equivalents.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

HopeIsEternal wrote:
Plus having electronic linkage and AF would definitely let them sell probably 10x as many lenses as they do today and would allow them to slightly raise prices over and beyond what the AF R&D costs them given the relatively high prices (or even non-existence) of the OEM lens equivalents.

it's not just R&D, it's probably also equipment/facilities and complete lens redesign. i'm sure they've done the cost benefit analysis. i doubt adding AF e-mount lenses would dramatically change their overall lens sales either.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

AF with high speed glass is hit and miss anyway-- at fast apertures. Though maybe the Sony "eye"thingy improves that.

Anyway, sure will be interesting to see how the 24 and the 35 performs at all apertures.

Anyone see how heavy the 24 and 35 are?

Oh, 590 and 700 + grams. That's a shame.

A tiny sharp 24 would sure be nice.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:08 AM
michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

uhoh7 wrote:
Oh, 590 and 700 + grams. That's a shame.

A tiny sharp 24 would sure be nice.

Yea, that's the deal killer, at least for me.

We need to see some small, yet fast E mount lenes (like RF glass) that plays well with the A7(r).

Mar 24, 2014 at 04:13 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

guys, the 24/1.4 and 35/1.4 are just their slr lenses made with an e-mount.

Mar 24, 2014 at 04:20 PM
gene A.
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Well I am really pleased that they will be making the 12mm in EF-M mount for the EOS-M. Its great to see some aftermarket support for the camera. I will be using one for aerials from a quadcopter.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:00 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

gene A. wrote:
Well I am really pleased that they will be making the 12mm in EF-M mount for the EOS-M. Its great to see some aftermarket support for the camera. I will be using one for aerials from a quadcopter.

Why not import the 11-22? I'm also happy that Samyang is supporting the EOS-M, but wide-angle is something that it's not missing .

Mar 24, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Anyone know what's new about the 8mm fisheye? How did they improve it over the old version?

Mar 24, 2014 at 09:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

michael49 wrote:
Yea, that's the deal killer, at least for me.

We need to see some small, yet fast E mount lenes (like RF glass) that plays well with the A7(r).

A good 24 f/2.8 would be fine, since iso performance is pretty good. Something sharp edge to edge @ 2.8, like the 35 would be popular.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

The release was a little confusing.
Here is a breakdown of the features and differences between the new lenses:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-new-photo-and-cine-lenses-rokinon

Mar 25, 2014 at 03:54 PM
mountain_drew
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Here's a link to an interior shot taken with the 12mm at around f/5.6.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=fuji_s1pro_forum&divpage=68&no=369775&category=3

I also got a shipment notification of mine on e-mount

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:18 PM
shogo73

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Lotusm50 wrote:
Anyone know what's new about the 8mm fisheye? How did they improve it over the old version?

i love the old 8mm 2.8 (despite the blue-purple left and right sides).

i wonder the same thing. i e-mailed samyang.pl. i will post what they say, when i hear back from them.

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:46 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Why can't they just quit confusing the issue and use the FE designation on mounts that work for the A7R. Trying to keep track of which lens mount is APS-C and which is FE is silly. Just stamp them. Remember the old acronym "KISS"
(Keep it simple stupid).

Apr 06, 2014 at 02:18 PM
mountain_drew
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

New pictures taken with the 12mm here :

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=fuji_s1pro_forum&&no=370063

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=fuji_s1pro_forum&no=370123

Seems pretty good with very low distortion.

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:48 PM
mountain_drew
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:09 PM
mountain_drew
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

And lots more pictures here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/topspoiler/sets/72157643519633553/

Looks pretty decent so far.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:32 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

The 12mm is in stock at B&H for NEX, M4/3s, and Samsung. Fuji and EOS-M are still pre-orders.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039948-REG/rokinon_rk12m_e_12mm_f_2_0_ncs_cs.html

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:42 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

It looks like it has pretty good flare and ghosting resistance based on the night shots of the bridge. The coma in the corners wide open on APS-C looks pretty heavy, but shouldn't be too bad on m43. Not sure the night images are fully focused accurately as the sharpness seems not so good and gets worse the further away the elements in the image get.

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:26 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password