Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

New lenses from Samyang officially announced!
Samyang announced March 25th availability for many lenses. There is a new 12mm f/2.0 and the release of a previously announced 10mm f/2.8. Both were both designed for the APS-C sensor.

For the Sony A7 and A7R, they released the 24mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/1.4 for the full frame E-mount. For the APS-C E-mount, there is a new 8mm T3.1 Cine FishEye II and 8mm f/2.8 FishEye.

Here is a list of the lenses with preorder links:
  1. 8mm T3.1 Cine UMC Fish-Eye II lens
  2. 8mm f/2.8 UMC Fish-Eye for Sony E-mount
  3. 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS lens
  4. 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS lens
  5. 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC lens for Sony E-mount
  6. 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC lens for Sony E-mount

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

So the first one was 12mm f2 for aps-c mirrorless:

http://www.samyang-europe.com/index.php/new-products/89-new-samyang-12-mm-1-2-0-ncs-cs

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
mountain_drew
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

I really don't know how the "our past is history" thing is relevant given the lenses they have announced. That being said, the 12mm f/2 has a lot of potential because it is relatively short (50-59mm depending on lens mount) and that it has a front element that allows the use of filters. Sounds like a very good option for a light landscape lens. What I'm wondering about is the distortion.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

I really don't understand them coming out with a 10mm and 12mm? It seems like they are so close in focal length/characteristics. Also why so many for smaller sensors? Must be where the bread and butter is.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM
mountain_drew
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

JohnBrose wrote:
I really don't understand them coming out with a 10mm and 12mm? It seems like they are so close in focal length/characteristics. Also why so many for smaller sensors? Must be where the bread and butter is.
10mm if for DSLR, 12mm is for mirrorless. I for one am happy that they are releasing APS-C lenses. APS-C lenses also allows them to release for a lot more brands than full frame. For DSLR' they can release the same lens for Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony. For mirrorless, they can release the same lens for Sony E-mount, Fuji X, Samsung, and micro-four . They also already have a lot of fullframe lenses.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

The 10mm also comes in mirrorless mounts. Same thing with a bolted adapter by the looks of it, but very cheap for the FOV and reasonable size. And who cares about AF, at 10mm the problem is to get something out of focus, not the opposite...

The 12 seems like a true mirrors lens, tiny, fast and even cheaper.

Both look like nice additions

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
mountain_drew
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Yes, the 10mm comes in mirrorless mount but it was not developed for mirrorless specifically. It's a DSLR lens with an integrated adapter basically. The length difference between the is pretty large because of that (59mm for the 12mm and 105mm for the 10mm)

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

The new 10/2.8 does look pretty interesting for APS-C, equaling a Canon 16mm in FF (15mm in Nikon). Wonder if it would work at all on APS-H, with cropping of vignette areas?

Looking forward to reviews!

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

I like that they announced the lenses with pricing days before availability. Sigma should take lessons from them.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

isn't there already a 24/1.4 & 35/1.4 for sony fe mount?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

The 10/2.8 lens is a beast, 600 grams! It's heavier than the FF 14/2.8 lens.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM
teh_rebel
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

definitely interested in the 12/2 .. size is nice and small and fast. I'll wait for it to hit the used market to be a lil cheaper

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:23 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

JimUe wrote:
isn't there already a 24/1.4 & 35/1.4 for sony fe mount?

Not in this dimension.

Very nice additions from Samyang, it will be interesting to see reviews and comparisons.

Mar 21, 2014 at 03:23 PM
othfilm
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

10mm is dead on arrival at that price point. You can get the Tokina at that price and get auto-focus, auto-aperture, lens profiles, and an optically proven lens. Oh, and you can use filters and get 11-16mm.

The 12mm f/2 is interesting.

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:18 PM
oceanliuhome

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

35mm 1.4 for E mount only? no canon nikon?

Mar 21, 2014 at 09:28 PM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Ridiculous! The Sony E-mount and electronic communication is supposed to be open and royalty free but Samyang still can't build an autofocus lens for it?

Damn! The price is quite good for under $400 for a FF 35mm f/1.4 lens but I wonder if having an autofocus motor and electronic aperture linkage would have raised the production price by more than $50.

There are currently no pictures for the FE mount Samyangs on B&H but $450 - $500 for a small form factor AF 24mm & 35mm f/1.4 with the respectable optical quality of Samyang's recent fast primes would be a real deal and a great game changer for Sony's FF mirrorless line.

Its a shame that Samyang in 2014 only wants to sell fine optics in dumb barrels.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Samyang announced March 25th availability for many lenses. There is a new 12mm f/2.0 and the release of a previously announced 10mm f/2.8. Both were both designed for the APS-C sensor.

For the Sony A7 and A7R, they released the 24mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/1.4 for the full frame E-mount. For the APS-C E-mount, there is a new 8mm T3.1 Cine FishEye II and 8mm f/2.8 FishEye.

Here is a list of the lenses with preorder links:
  1. 8mm T3.1 Cine UMC Fish-Eye II lens
  2. 8mm f/2.8 UMC Fish-Eye for Sony E-mount
  3. 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS lens
  4. 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS lens
  5. 24mm f/1.4 ED for Sony E-mount
  6. 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC lens for Sony E-mount
...Show more

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

oceanliuhome wrote:
35mm 1.4 for E mount only? no canon nikon?

It's not a new lens, as far as I understand, just the plain old Samyang 35/1.4 but now in E-mount.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:41 PM

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Othfilm and HopeIsEternal - spot on!!

Mar 22, 2014 at 09:14 AM
mountain_drew
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

HopeIsEternal wrote:
Ridiculous! The Sony E-mount and electronic communication is supposed to be open and royalty free but Samyang still can't build an autofocus lens for it?

Damn! The price is quite good for under $400 for a FF 35mm f/1.4 lens but I wonder if having an autofocus motor and electronic aperture linkage would have raised the production price by more than $50.

There are currently no pictures for the FE mount Samyangs on B&H but $450 - $500 for a small form factor AF 24mm & 35mm f/1.4 with the respectable optical quality of Samyang's recent fast primes would be a
...Show more
Samyang probably makes money off of volume. They can just slap a new lens mount and their R&D becomes more profitable. Adding autofocus would definitely limit their ability to do that while adding costs. I think it's a good business model, especially given that their lenses are good. I'm curious as to how they will deal with the new mirrorless trend and if they will release smaller MF lenses in different focal length (35mm, 50mm, and so on). If they could release lenses that compete with rangefinder lenses in terms of size with the usual Samyang quality, I'm sure they could have a steady market.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM
jojoenglish85

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New lenses from Samyang officially announced!

Pretty nice lens, price is ehhh.... I would buy the fisheye used for a discount.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.