3       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

Lance B wrote:
, I think someone just blew a fuse.

Fuse blown, fuse-box blasted open, and fuse deposited in the opposite sheetrock, it would seem .

But he does make a fair set of good points, and they're the same points made when comparing Canon's 24-105L to the Sigma 24-105 Art.

However, optics isn't the big thing; the Sigma, in good copies (damnit Sigma, lock this down!), is likely the sharpest of the three, but just barely, where the Canon and Nikon competitors are functionally equal outside of the Nikon's slightly longer reach. That difference actually matters to some people, and that's cool; they use these lenses not as 'walk-around' or 'utility' lenses but as honest to God landscape and architecture lenses, and for the creation of photographs in those disciplines, a good copy of the Sigma is the best bet over either OEM's offers, aside from stepping up to the pro f/2.8 glass.

The real difference, as highlighted in the rant in a not-so-subtle way, is in the build quality, where Sigma has made it a point to outright excel over all existing stalwarts with lenses produced from their Global Vision initiative, and has largely succeeded, quite especially in this case. To lend weight to the above rant, one really only needs to pick one of these lenses up next to it's intended competitor to understand just what a leap Sigma has made.

So, while I don't agree with the 'pissed off fanboy' tone of the rant, I can say that the ranter does indeed present a set of valid points .

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

I hate to say it but the 82mm filter does make a difference to me. I've got 3 B+W filters, 1 polarizer and 2 ND that I use to balance daylight with flash. It would cost me a lot more to get a whole new set of these. Also less of an issue is the backwards zoom ring. It sound stupid but I've used one before and when you're switching lenses during a wedding it does mess with your muscle memory.
The build quality of the Sigma 35 art is fantastic so I assume that it transfers to their other Art lenses. That counts for quite a bit in my book. However if they are relatively close in sharpness I would end up choosing the Nikon, and I probably will.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

NathanHamler wrote:
Yup, wont even touch one, simply cause of this...super freaking annoying...i imagine canon shooters feel the same about Tokina zoom lenses....

Gee, some of us actually have the ability to twist the lens either way without getting our brains tied up in knots. Sorry to hear your brain is so easily shorted out.

Jun 13, 2014 at 09:39 PM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

One other feature that makes this so useable for me is the superb O/S (VR). As much as I love the 24-70 G, I find it really only useful for me on a tripod, where of course it sings. I get a lot of hand-held keepers with the 24-105 Sig A cruising around with my D800.

Jun 14, 2014 at 02:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

eSchwab wrote:
I hate to say it but the 82mm filter does make a difference to me. I've got 3 B+W filters, 1 polarizer and 2 ND that I use to balance daylight with flash. It would cost me a lot more to get a whole new set of these. Also less of an issue is the backwards zoom ring. It sound stupid but I've used one before and when you're switching lenses during a wedding it does mess with your muscle memory.
The build quality of the Sigma 35 art is fantastic so I assume that it transfers to their other
...Show more

this is the reason i use square filters and not fixed sized round ones. it is unfortunate though that i did sell my 82mm SWA Lee adapter when i disposed of my canon 16-35/2.8 II lens back in '09.

Jun 14, 2014 at 02:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

Chris Dees wrote:
The Sigma has a few drawbacks to start with; 15mm shorter and 82mm filter size. It's a little bulkier and heavier, but it's cheaper.
Distortion (even contrast) is not a real problem in PP. I'm not sure how about bokeh, the Nikon is not too bad.
In some reviews it seems sharper in others not.
Sounds like a lottery for a little more sharpness and perhaps a little better bokeh. I'll pass, I'm not going to sell mine for the Sigma.

the same drawbacks as does a Canon 16-35/2.8 II on a canon FF body

Jun 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

jwpstl wrote:
This reviewer claims the Nikon is sharper:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1658/cat/31

Nikon 24-120mm ƒ/4G ED VR AF-S Nikkor ~$1,296.95
The Nikon alternative is actually a bit more versatile than the Sigma with its longer zoom -- out to 120mm -- all the while keeping the constant ƒ/4 aperture. Like the Sigma, the Nikon also has image stabilization. The Nikon lens is also quite sharp -- a bit better than the Sigma -- and also better at controlling vignetting at 24mm. The Sigma, however, shows better results at controlling CA in most cases, the Nikon beating it slightly at telephoto. Like the Canon, though, the street price
...Show more

this review is basically flawed because as we know different lenses react differently on different bodies. were the sigma testing was performed on canon FF and CF body and not at the time a Nikon FF and CF body.

in the case of equivalent bodies to the questioned lenses there are some notable differences.

now i would like to the how this lens reacts on a D4/D4s or whatever and really see.

Jun 14, 2014 at 03:08 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

runamuck wrote:
Gee, some of us actually have the ability to twist the lens either way without getting our brains tied up in knots. Sorry to hear your brain is so easily shorted out.

As a Canon shooter having recently rented Tamron's excellent (optically) 24-70/2.8 VC, I can tell you that it's annoying as hell, both that it's different, and that some companies actually produce lenses that turn that way at all.

If you've ever shot a long gun, you understand the need to keep your supporting (usually left in shooting, always left in photography) elbow tucked; in photography, this is even more important as focal length increases. As to why on earth some companies believe that having zoom and/or focus rings rotate clockwise so that the photographer is tempted to lift their left elbow for a focal length increase or a focus distance increase is beyond me; it's downright anti-ergonomic.

Maybe they just wanted to be different than Canon? I have to wonder who started this mess first. And I also have a new-found appreciation of Sigma, who at least has their rings turning the right way, even if they don't necessarily get them in the right order.

Jun 15, 2014 at 03:38 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

Dear Tabrink, Me thinkist that thou art a Sigma "fanboy", nothing wrong with that. Each of the lenseses has it's pluses and minuses.I happen to own the 24-120 and I'm very satisfied with this lens, both in terms of build quality and performance. I take every advantage of anytime I have an opportunity to criticize Nikon,but this is just not one of them. I hope that you enjoy your 24-105mm and that it serves you well for many years to come.

Jun 15, 2014 at 07:11 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the OEM lenses are actually fairly light and compact for what they are; this can be a big deal for some too, where the Sigma is more akin to a fast pro lens in size and heft, while the slower OEM zooms make excellent 'walk-around' standard zooms. Let's just say that the Sigma splits the difference in optics and handling between the slow OEM zooms and their faster pro counterparts.

Jun 15, 2014 at 08:47 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

Am I that rare a being? Again someone complains about zoom rings being "backward." Where is it written that all zoom rings must work in a certain direction? Maybe it's on the Rosetta Stone and certain companies missed it?

No, I don't get all whacked out of shape about zoom rings.

Jun 15, 2014 at 09:11 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

Lots of chat on here, but decided lack of photos...... Here's a couple from a trail ride I did yesterday. Took my D800 and 24-105 with me and snagged some shots of the jump boys doing their thing. The AF speed on the 24-105 is frankly astounding and I discovered it'll also hold focus while zooming.

© gfinlayson 2014

© gfinlayson 2014

Edited on Jun 19, 2014 at 04:34 AM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2014 at 02:07 AM
shekarn64
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

I have been using Sigma 24-105 for about a month now and I am really happy with its performance. Will post some images and my review soon. For now, I am using it on my D300s.

Jun 17, 2014 at 09:17 AM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

gfinlayson wrote:
Lots of chat on here, but decided lack of photos...... Here's a couple from a trail ride I did yesterday. Took my D800 and 24-105 with me and snagged some shots of the jump boys doing their thing. The AF speed on the 24-105 is frankly astounding and I discovered it'll also hold focus while zooming.

Love the action shots!

Jun 19, 2014 at 05:30 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

Thanks. I was seriously impressed with the way the D800/24-105 handled the action. Did quite a few 3 frame bursts - the middle one usually worked best compositionally, but even with a biker heading straight towards the camera and zooming out at the same time, the focus was nailed in all 3.

Jun 19, 2014 at 05:42 PM
shekarn64
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

I have posted some images on this thread

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1301391

Jun 20, 2014 at 08:34 AM
Fivesense
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

I'm considering the Sigma 24-105 mostly because of the lower price (I'm still very new to dSLR photography). I've not been happy with the results of my primes, which should tell you that I need some serious practice. But oddly, whereas I thought the primes would help me improve my composition and my education and synergy of the "triangle," somehow I've regressed. I think it's because I so often shoot wide open and if I don't hit the focus point, the images are woefully inadequate, and while trying to hit the focus point, I completely forget about proper composition, etc... I probably just need to study more prime theory, so if anyone has any book recommendations I'm all ears.

Anyway, I want to try a quality mid-zoom. I have my kit Nikkor 18-140 and it does a great (for me job). But a buddy told me about the Sigma 24-105 and I'm intrigued.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

After switching back to Nikon, I didn't have a mid-range zoom. The sigma 24-105 Art piqued my interest as it was cheaper in cost, newer, and built like a tank. I never had nor used the Nikkor 24-120mm before, so I really can't compare the two lenses.

I find the AF on this lens very quick, the IQ pretty darn sharp (to my taste at least!) and optical image stabilization "alright". I say alright because I haven't used this lens much in low light or with slow shutter speeds to get an accurate feel for the OS yet. While I do own the Sigma 35 Art, I find this lens on my camera over 90% of the time due to the versatility of the zoom range. I mentioned above that it is built like a tank, and perhaps weighs like one too (ha!), but the "extra" weight doesn't bother me much. The only thing that slightly bothers me is the 82mm filter thread size. Having previously owned the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II, I still had my 82mm UV and CPL filters left from its sale. I'm just missing some appropriately sized ND filters, but the $$$ of them has put me off from buying them anytime soon. :P

Here's a sample pic @ 105mm & f/6.7 with the 24-105 Art from my Alaskan cruise back in August.

by Alpha Geist, on Flickr

Sep 28, 2014 at 02:55 AM
benjikan
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

My shoot for ELLE magazine with the Nikon 24-120 VRll f/4.0 lens. Shot at around 90mm using the 5:4 crop mode on my Nikon D800.

Excellent rendition...

Sep 28, 2014 at 04:08 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon 24-120 vs. Sigma 24-105 'A'

To me one important point made by Roger in his test of the 24-105 Art vs Canon 24-105 was light transmission - almost half a stop faster. Now that sounds like very little but when shooting events under demanding lights... I'll take the half stop - it makes a real difference in post. Can't speak for the transmission of the Nikon but it was genius to make it 120mm.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/03/a-24-105-comparison

Sep 28, 2014 at 04:34 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.