Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Out with the old, in with the new!!!

Crimsonfrogg

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out with the old, in with the new!!!

I'm Excited!!! I put my lenses on craigslist and I'm getting new ones!

It's been an exciting week, I just picked up another D600 (shutter was just replaced) and this weekend I'm picking up a 24-70mm 2.8 and a 28mm 1.8

I'm selling my 35mm F2, 85mm 1.8D, tamron 28-75mm 2.8 and my 105mm DC )I'm going to regret selling this lens!!!!)

Before I get a ton of people asking why I'm selling the 105mm, cause I normally never would, our living room studio fits the 85mm good but the 105mm is a tad too long. I want to keep it for out door stuff but I have too much redundancy in that focal range.

So my new kit for wedding, events and portraiture now (after this weekend) consists of:

D600 x2
70-200 vr1
24-70mm
sigma 150mm OS macro
28mm 1.8
50mm 1.8
85mm 1.8

I'm hoping on a FX camera 24mm will be wide enough for group shots. I've toyed with the idea of a wider prime or a 16-35vr. I've asked a guy on craigslist if he wanted to trade for my 105mm but no response, he's probably annoyed

I finally feel like I'm set up with a pretty good kit. I know I'll probably hear that my camera's aren't pro grade but I like them more than my sisters D700's although they aren't as fast as hers. I shot my first weddings with a D70 and thought that camera was awesome so I think the D600's will work fine.

This is more of a HAPPY RANT than anything else but still in the back of my mind I wonder if I have wide enough lenses for that one moment. Also since it's so cheap do you think I should keep my 35mm?

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out with the old, in with the new!!!

I would say; "make yourself happy". You never know a lens unless you own/rent one. In the film days I worked with a guy who owned a wedding studio who shot with only a Nikon 35mm F1.4 and 50mm F1.2 lens. As a wedding photographer myself, I am through trying to cover every possible situation. Too much to carry and it costs too much. Is someone like a bride and groom, paying for all of this for you? Are you making lots of cash? Know your style and you should know about what you need.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out with the old, in with the new!!!

Congrats on the D600 and the 24-70mm. The D600 is a very good camera. I think they should work well for weddings.

I have used the 16-35mm and the 24-120mm for group shots at weddings, the 24mm is probably where I shoot most at. The 16-35mm though is handy have though. but you just have to watch for face/body distortion if you are shooting too wide. Best, just to shoot at 24mm and back up if needed.

I know the 24-70mm is top notch, but I do prefer the extra range of the 24-120mm, and I just don't see any quality differences in IQ for my shooting. I know there is, but for the printing/viewing requirements of most weddings, the 24-120mm is great.

The reason I mention that is typically, I have the 16-35mm on one body and the 24-120mm on the 2nd body. I have the 70-200mm with me, but almost never use it anymore as the 24-120mm gives me enough reach, and with either the D600 or the D800 one can crop if needed.

So then, why the 150mm? if you have the 70-200mm, the 150mm would seem redundant.

But, to get back to your excitement... congrats! You have a great setup!

Jim

Mar 21, 2014 at 04:36 AM
Crimsonfrogg

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out with the old, in with the new!!!

The 150 is definitely going to by my least used lens, the only reason I have it is because I traded my old 80-200 for it. That lens isn't a "need" but might come in handy for detail shots. That one might be sold someday depending on how often it's used. It's just nice to have a macro if you need it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:21 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out with the old, in with the new!!!

Any more, the only lenses I ever use for weddings are the Nikons 17-55mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 VR. Action is fast and with fast zooms I can react instantly and not miss shots. I stayed with a pair of D7100 because I know for a fact I'll never make more money because I spent more on a camera. I do have a very extensive lighting system.

Kent in SD

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:48 AM
Crimsonfrogg

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out with the old, in with the new!!!

It's easy to spend a lot on equipment! I don't have to worry about write offs this year!

Mar 21, 2014 at 09:10 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.