New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Viewfinder magnifiers

JesseShotland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Viewfinder magnifiers

Hey all,

My friend recently bought a used D700 and it came with a nikon viewfinder magnifier. The viewfinder is like a movie theatre with that thing. I'm SUPER envious and want one for my 1Ds. You guys know of any options?

jesse

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Viewfinder magnifiers

I'm assuming you're talking about a magnifier for the optical viewfinder, not the LCD screen?

Wow, Nikon did continue making these things up until several years ago, but I think Canon stopped around 10 years ago. You want the Canon Magnifier S, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcanon+magnifier+s&_nkw=canon+magnifier+s&_sacat=0&_from=R40

If somebody else knows a newer model - I sure don't!

If you're talking about an LCD finder - well those are easy, and there's zillions for videographers. Check B&H, there are ones made for specific models. Zacuto makes some of the better ones which you can get at B&H. You can also pick up some excellent ones that are more generic (but really work well) for a lot less from good video sources like Kamerar and Photography and Cinema. Yes, the same ones - they share many brands (same folks basically) but the prices vary greatly between the stores - so always check both! I see PNC is cheaper today! Ah, here's another one at PNC. That's the one I'm more familiar with. You can also check youtube - there's loads of video reviews of these things.

Hope that's what you're asking about!

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Viewfinder magnifiers

I had the Nikon viewfinder magnifier--think it was 1.25X--in an EOS eye frame adapter. The adapter was funky and I couldn't see the VF corners of my 20D so was pretty useless. Worked fine on my Nikon FM3A but that VF was already silly huge.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Viewfinder magnifiers

I guess there is still the angle finder C, but you now look down the eyepiece.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:44 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Viewfinder magnifiers

I have tried "Nikon DK-21M Magnifying Eyepiece" on my Rebel XT, 30D and 1D2N, and while it fit and worked, in the end it made my shooting with glasses even more difficult.

Mar 21, 2014 at 04:26 AM
JesseShotland
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Viewfinder magnifiers

Interesting. That Canon magnifier S looks kind of funny. I found a third party little thing on ebay and bought it for 50 bucks. I'll let you know what it's like!

Mar 21, 2014 at 08:06 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Viewfinder magnifiers

Kamerar are decent

Mar 21, 2014 at 08:39 AM
Roy Morales
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Viewfinder magnifiers

I gave mine away [ whole AE-1 set up ] A friends kid [ in a wheel chair ] had his
stolen while in hospital [ I went to nikon - now wife's camera , then to Elan ]
Anyway , the thing seemed to be a dust magnet . With live view I don't need it .

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:13 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Viewfinder magnifiers

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I guess there is still the angle finder C, but you now look down the eyepiece.

I also got myself an angle finder from Canon, but some cheaper historical version from 1960s, it could still be attached to e.g. 30D. But it was a simpler construction and side-inverted. A bit funny to operate, but it did its job very well for non-live view cameras on a tripod.

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.