Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

DrBobF

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

I'm using a mac pro ( in the process of upgrading monitor and SSD ) and I'm looking into an application that does a great job on imaging editing while not being super expensive. I'm hearing about Pixelmator as a low cost solution for most editing tasks.

I'm doing mostly photo manipulations to be integrated into graphical art works.

Has anyone worked with Pixelmator and be able to share their findings?

Thanks,
Bob

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

i have it and have tried it . its pretty good . well worth the low cost .
yes Photoshop is better but for Photography uses much of photoshop is over the top anyway .

give it a go. for 30 bucks you cant loose

Mar 21, 2014 at 02:40 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

I have tried the free trial, even though I have owned a license to full Ps for over 20 years ... since Adobe has chosen to go the CC route, I'm keeping my eye on potential options for the future.

Currently, Pixelmator isn't quite enough for my needs but it is definitely moving in the right direction.

Another option to consider is Acorn. It is a bit more expensive, though much less expensive than other options.

Both have free trials available on their respective web sites so you can download them and kick the tires for a bit to see what they can do before you buy.

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:03 AM
DrBobF

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

I hadn't heard of Acorn.
I'll do the trial thing to get a feel for them.
Thanks to all for the feedback.
Bob

Mar 21, 2014 at 08:40 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

Have you tried Aperture?

It is not that expensive and I think they may have a trial mode.

Mar 21, 2014 at 09:05 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

Echoing Ian and Butch, I promptly bought Pixelmator when it had a $20 intro price. If nothing else I wanted to "vote with my dollars" against Adobe's "hostage ware." It hasn't replaced Ps but is definitely moving in the right direction. The 3.1 update that supports the graphics chips on the new MacPro is a nice step and they are promising to expand that support to other GPUs.

I dabble with it periodically, but am still pretty much in my Lr/Ps rut - I think mostly because I'm use to it. It's quite likely to develop into a perfectly competent tool for photographers as opposed to graphic artists and such. Also, I used Aperture for years and depending on how much editing you need it (with available plugins) can do a lot.

Robert

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM
tuthill
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

martines34 wrote:
Have you tried Aperture?

It is not that expensive and I think they may have a trial mode.

No trial mode however it is possible to trial it by purchasing it and then requesting a refund within 30 days if one isn't satisfied with it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

tuthill wrote:
No trial mode however it is possible to trial it by purchasing it and then requesting a refund within 30 days if one isn't satisfied with it.

not with apple .

someone a while back sent me a link to a trial version which does still exist on the servers. (sorry i dont have the link anymore) . since it went to the app store there is supposed to be no trial .

i think a bit of googleing may still find it .

Mar 21, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

OK scratch that . I just went back thru my PM's to see if I could find the link . I did (it was via a thread on DPR) but it appears its now dead . Looks like Apple pulled it when Mavericks came out

stuff liek that really does need trial options . £55 (or whatever the $ price is)may not be a huge amount, but its still more than most people want to drop on something they may find dont like .

Mar 21, 2014 at 02:57 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

Folks, I'm going search for trials Aperture, Acorn and Pixelmator as an option to APS. Like the other tools I use, software etc, trying is the only way to really know if there right for you and your particular application.
Thanks for the insight.

Mar 21, 2014 at 03:51 PM
tuthill
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
not with apple .

someone a while back sent me a link to a trial version which does still exist on the servers. (sorry i dont have the link anymore) . since it went to the app store there is supposed to be no trial .

i think a bit of googleing may still find it .

If you read what I wrote you will find that I confirmed that there is no official trial version but explained how to get a virtual trial version by purchasing the app and then requesting a refund within 30 days if you don't wish to keep it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

tuthill wrote:
If you read what I wrote you will find that I confirmed that there is no official trial version but explained how to get a virtual trial version by purchasing the app and then requesting a refund within 30 days if you don't wish to keep it.

yeah I know exactly what you meant . and how successful is it getting your money back from apple after an appstore purchase?
appstore purchases are basicly deamed FINAL . you can ask for a refund on things that crash or arnt compatable but I wouldnt be betting my 50 quid on a app that I just deamed not to my liking .

I did buy Aperture even after I managed to trial it , but other than a few features I just dont get on with it . so yes in the end i did pay for it and still dont use it .

the daft thing is without an official trial you could quite easily 'trial' apps by going to a torrent site and doing things illeagaly . not an ethical way to do things i know . I wonder how many do it and then pay for the official item ?

Mar 21, 2014 at 04:21 PM
tuthill
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

It's actually quite easy to get a refund from Apple in my experience.

Here's one of many links that explain how:

http://www.imore.com/how-request-refund-itunes-or-app-store-purchase

Mar 21, 2014 at 04:30 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

I know that these Photo programs are really up to individual likings as to which way they go. I tried Lightroom since the Initial Beta. What keeps me attempting to go back is everyone is so pleased with it. Personally, I try it for a few minutes then go back to Aperture. I find that Aperture is so intuitive and easy to use. Each of the programs are basically the same it is just different ways to reach the same goal. I assume as well for those who are used to Lightroom they feel the same way which is why they stick to it.

Aperture appears to be a lot simpler in operation. It is also very much quicker on importing images and having the ability to work on the images. If you are earning money from the game this is a great asset.

Info on Both:

Others say that they are behind as they have not moved from version 3. Well actually they have made great strides and done numerous versions. All have been FREE. The cheaper program is Aperture and I do not believe they will drop it. Some have said they have cheapened the product but really they have made a lot of enhancements. For instance my Wife uses iPhoto. Now she can share a library and I can make enhanced adjustments then export it back to her.

The other 2 programs of Pixelmator and Acorn I might just have to give a try. I am using CC but only as I had a special deal for a year. If I have to start paying $50 per month then I probably will drop it. Although it is a write off, I do not get the use out of it to warrant the cost.

Mar 21, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

tuthill wrote:
It's actually quite easy to get a refund from Apple in my experience.

Here's one of many links that explain how:

http://www.imore.com/how-request-refund-itunes-or-app-store-purchase

well thats all well and good . but where in step 10 does it have " I bought it to try it but I dont like it" as an option in that drop down box ?

buying something in the hope you can get your money back is a much more risky thing than a trial

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:38 PM
tuthill
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pixelmator for image processing - any good?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
well thats all well and good . but where in step 10 does it have " I bought it to try it but I dont like it" as an option in that drop down box ?

buying something in the hope you can get your money back is a much more risky thing than a trial

I forget the exact wording but it was something to the effect "Item opens but doesn't function as expected" which is true if one tries it and finds it doesn't serve their needs.

And yes a real trial is certainly more convenient.

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:25 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.