New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

DrBobF

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

I've combined my development system with my graphic design and photo/ video editing environment. After seeing an associate working on her cinema 30" I was impressed with the size, color saturation and the antiglare screen treatment.
I'm seriously looking at moving towards finding an used apple cinema 30" for my daily use. Does any one have experience with the apple 30"? I know to some it is dated, but it is still a fine display ( IMHO ).
I'm running a Mac Pro mutilple boot platform and about upgrade my graphics card soon.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

I have been using the 23" CD with my MacPro for years and it is still fine. Go for it!

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:59 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking there may even be a 30" somewhere in the FM upload and sell. I'm still new to the forum .

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:05 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

DrBob,

I picked up a 30" Cinema display when CompUSA had a going out of business sale 4-5 years ago. It had been a display model so it was a fair way from "new." I've used a number of monitors in my 30+ years of computer use, and this one is my favorite. It is in heavy daily use for photo, CAD, data visualization, and general work. Mine is plugged into a 2010 MacPro. It takes an adapter to get the video out and an FW 800 - 400 adapter if you want to use the FW ports on the monitor. Probably the best $1k I've ever spent on a tech item. If you get one in good shape, you'll love it.

Robert

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:20 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

I have an Apple 30" along side my other monitors. The real estate is awesome and makes a huge different when editing lots of video / audio tracks. I absolutely love it compared to my 27" monitors.

But, there is a problem. As these monitors age they lose their mojo. Mine, like many others is no longer as bright in to the corners as it is in the middle. The colours are starting to vary across the screen and while it's great for editing, for colour correction / grading I use something else because I can no longer rely on the 30" monitor.

Also, it's sharpness is not a patch on the latest monitors.

If I could buy another 30" monitor at a rational price that was as sharp as my 27" monitors then I probably would, but I would caution against thinking you can pick up a (now ageing) used model and it be as good as new.

LCD monitors do not have infinite lives and need replacing every few years as they colours and brightness fade.

So, again, if you're buying it for the real estate, go for it. If you want to use if for colour grading then make sure you understand what you're getting in to and that the one you buy is not yet showing signs of fading in to the corners.

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:22 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Thanks for the info. It looks as if we're in kind of the same work flow. I'm just getting my 2009 2X 2.93GHz mac pro integrated as my only workstation for the mix of software coding, hardware cad to photo editing.

Thanks for the advise.... I''m still looking for a gently used one.

Regards,

Bob

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:26 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Thanks for the info.

I'm glad you made the point about the aging of the display. In that I'll be using the 30" ACD mostly for development work, PCB layout, Cad and application code visualization and testing, I'm thinking that I should be able to tolerate the aging issues. ( as long as the CCFL does not fail )

Thanks again for the advise.

Bob

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:36 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

I have to concur with Dave's observations on the aging of LCDs. I can tell that mine is beginning to be a bit "washed out" for want of a better term. So far I've been able to adapt and I get good concordance between my screen image and my printing. I did have to do some correcting recently for my submissions to the newspaper I shoot for. Things were suddenly "too dark." I've adjusted and am back on track.

For the list of uses you have above, I'd say a decent one will work well. I'd also have to admit that mine is likely not "gently used" as I have flogged it hard all day/most days for years.

Dave's thoughts on screen real estate echo mine. I know that mathematically the difference in size between 27" diagonal and 30" diagonal is a linear relationship. But perceptually? Logarithmic at a minimum.

Robert

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

My 30" Cinema Display was one of the later releases. Apple made some quiet updates to the panel in the display so try to get one from the last year or so of production (which I don't remember).

I use mine gently, mostly for a few hours each night then I turn it off. Display brightness has remained uniform and it still calibrates perfectly for use with my 3880 printer. It's one of the best I've ever used, and it's certainly one of the best looking pieces of display hardware ever made IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another barely used one if I had the need.

Sal

Mar 21, 2014 at 01:44 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

I'm partial to this display for many reasons.

This is not just because I may be a tad biased as being an apple developer for years, but having actually seen the 30" cinemas in many types of settings and actually took one on a spin at an associate's house several weeks ago.
She is also a gentle user, her 30" cinema, I believe, is a 2009 build and still works for her photography work.

I agree, finding one that is from the last year of production ( 2010 I think ) and gently used would be the way to go.
Of course, I'm still looking.

They do seem to keep their value, but I'm thinking they're worth it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:08 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

DrBobF wrote:
They do seem to keep their value, but I'm thinking they're worth it.

If you can find a good one I wouldn't even hesitate.

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:14 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Good luck with finding one. Several years ago one popped up on the refurbished store. It lasted about 5 minutes before it was gone.

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:20 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Looks as if are two 30" apple cinemas on the FM!

One is a 2010, the other is original owner but no further info.
The prices are in the range I'm seeing for units in good shape with low usage.
The only issue of course, is that I'm new to the forum and have to wait till I get the 25 post count to ask them anything else about the units. Oh well.

Mar 22, 2014 at 02:22 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

DrBobF wrote:
Looks as if are two 30" apple cinemas on the FM!

One is a 2010, the other is original owner but no further info.
The prices are in the range I'm seeing for units in good shape with low usage.
The only issue of course, is that I'm new to the forum and have to wait till I get the 25 post count to ask them anything else about the units. Oh well.

Bob,
I support the 25 post minimum but it can cause hardship. My sense is that your are a stand up guy thus the following offer. If you PM me the listings and your questions, I'll pass them on to the seller and return whatever responses I get. No sense in not getting info while you work on building up 25 credible posts.

Robert

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Thanks much.
When I get back to my home office, I'll PM you the infer.

Thanks again,

Bob

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

I got home and it looks as if I can't PM you, again because of the 25 post min.

If you want, I can post reply with the FM links, and or copied ad text and my questions if you want. I really appreciate your offer.
Cheers,

Bob

Mar 23, 2014 at 08:13 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

just quickly post to the different forums, can't be that hard to get up to 25, you're halfway there. Good luck finding a display.

Mar 23, 2014 at 08:37 PM
DrBobF

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Thanks for the encouragement johnbrose.
I found a few more meaningful things to post about. I'm thinking it will still be a bit before I get to the 25 needed.
Thanks again to all and for the offer from ontherez which unfortunately falls still in the same boat not enough posts.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM
DrBobF

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Actually with all the great resources in the forum available, it wasn't terribly hard to get up to 25 posts.

Of the two cinema posts on the FM only one kind of worked out. One was a stale ad, the second display, the LCD was broken during fact finding for me, but as it turned out, I found it a home with a friend who was in need of an undamaged enclosure. (I'm doing the surgery ).

I did find a 2010 in great condition at a reasonable cost. The display is in great condition, apparently gently used, demostrating what I expected for color and brightness uniformity of that philips/LG LCD panel ilk. Just under half brightness strikes a good balance ( without metrology ) between eye comfort and CCFT chroma shift purported by some folks. In that my experience has been with CCFT and not W or RGB LED backlit displays, I always turn off displays when I not using the system out of habit.

For my use in development applications with additional photography and graphics interests, I'm very pleased.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cheers,

Bob

Apr 04, 2014 at 08:40 PM
ckjohnston

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Using Apple 30" cinema display

Bob, I'm new here. I just stumbled across this as I am interested in selling my 30" cinema display. It has done a wonderful job for me, and it is hardly used. The only reason I'm considering selling it is I am looking at going back full time to my automotive design profession after photography has allowed me to stay home with my kids in their younger years. If you're still interested in one, I think you would be very pleased with it. I am very particular about my equipment, almost to a fault. Anyways, I just joined this forum so if you're still interested, please send me a reply.
Thank you,
C Johnston

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.