New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

First does the camera and how many MP it has , have anything to do with how the thumbnails look in Lightroom 5?
The reason I ask is my thumbnails look lousy. I was lookingg in the Scott kelby book about it and it says you can generate minimal, standard and 1:1.
But I also only have 8mp images and I was wondering If those might be half the problem of the thumbnails looking bad.
I also read somewhere you can actually set the pixel size or resolution of the thumbnails, but haven't been able to find where I saw it.

Mar 20, 2014 at 09:21 AM
hondageek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

Are you talking about thumbnails in the grid view? Lousy is a pretty vague term! Lousy how? Color? Are they raw? Jpeg?

Mar 20, 2014 at 09:48 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

Where the Kelby book talks about "minimal, standard, and 1:1", those are previews. Not the same thing as thumbnails.

By thumbnails I assume you are referring to what hondageek said, in the grid view? Those are so small they would like fine with 1 megapixel, so that's not the problem.

Mar 20, 2014 at 09:56 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

Are the thumbnails *always* lousy, or do they eventually improve ?

If you change the size of the thumbnails on the screen (using the slider near the bottom of the Library grid view) then they will need to be rebuilt by Lr. If you scroll to a different set of images then those thumbnails may not yet have been rebuilt and will look a bit poor.

If it is the previews that you are referring to then they may take quite a while to be built depending on the speed of the computer and storage.

Either way, if you're not happy then you can rebuild them using the Library > Previews menu. You can go into the preferences to specify the size of the standard previews. Rebuilding previews should also rebuild the thumbnails.

- Alan

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

Yes as soon as I import the images. Lousy is a pretty vague term your right, I guess that comes from the fact I wasn't very satisfied looking at them, especailly after using bridge in Photoshop, where they look very good.
By lousy ,I can actually see how pixelated they are just from the small default thumbnails. If I make them bigger using the slider they look much worse. Just like taking a small jpeg(which is what they are I think) and blowing it up too much.
If I'm going to use lightroom to sort images, I need something half decent to look at, to do so.
These are the images in the grid view, that we're talking about. The first ones you see after importing the images.
So it doesn't make a difference what the images look like according to how big the images come from the camera ?

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

So, you have an 8mp camera and you're shooting in small jpeg mode? Is that correct? Also, I wouldn't be to concerned by how they look in grid view. What's important is how they look in the loupe view. Click on one and look at it at 100% and report back to us.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

No I have an 8Mp Canon and I shoot in RAW, and I am concerned what they look like in the grid view as I don't want to open up every single one in order to sort my images.
The bridge thumbnails I have are about the same size, and look great, so what I would like to know is how to duplicate that in Lightroom.
I asked the same question over at Adobe and no one even responded, that was probably a month ago.
Thanks for the help, because so far I'm not exactly impressed with Lightroom, especially since I mainly got it to sort and catalog my images. Not that I have that many, but have to start somewhere.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

Check your PMs.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom better looking thumbnails

The 8mp camera is not the problem. It is probably an issue with previews. It sounds like you have Lightroom set to create minimal previews on import, and that's what you are seeing in the thumbnails. (I would have thought minimal would still be acceptable for the small thumbnails with, say, 20 on the screen, but if you increase the size they will certainly look bad.)

I don't remember exactly where the setting is, but follow the Kelby book to generate 1:1 previews on import. Note that Lightroom will do that in 2 stages. The first just imports the images (probably with minimal previews), then the second step generates the 1:1 previews. It may take a while on a slow computer. Once the second step is done, then go look at the images. You may not want to sit there and watch the computer work the whole time, but if you did you would see in the upper left of the screen the two processes so you would know when it was done. See if that is better and let us know.

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.