1231643_948024774797_1247749664_n by msommers00, on Flickr

970006_928851014167_1550068654_n by msommers00, on Flickr

230462_671348022227_1893148_n by msommers00, on Flickr

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:22 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canmore area, Alberta

Its nice to see summer shots. It will be several months before we see open water on the lakes.

All of the pictures have pretty good exposure and processing. 1,2,3 in order are my preferences.

1 has the strongest composition but has the man made roads and buildings in it detract. I think this could be overcome if you took the picture at very early or very late (probably sunrise better) to get some color interest.

2 is a pretty site but needs some color interest and the composition seems truncated on the right side which kind of drags the eyes to the right. But lots of opportunity for this site. What lake is it?

3 is challenged by the composition for me. Zoomed with a big color sky would help but ultimately I think it would be better if you were squarer on with the mountains. e.g. further east.

Thanks for sharing. Scott

Mar 20, 2014 at 08:06 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canmore area, Alberta

the comp in 1 does not do much for me, the light makes it even more difficult.
In 2, if the light and clouds were better and you were up against the bank, it could be superb. I think you did the best with the conditions you had. I would get closer to the water as the little tree on the left distracts me.
Now 3, I like a lot. I wish it were a bit larger for me to view. I like the lines from one corner to the other with various colors and the sky drama. I like it a lot. I do not know the area as well as Scott (who lives there) to comment on possible different perspectives.

David

Mar 20, 2014 at 09:42 AM
m.sommers00
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canmore area, Alberta

Thank you guys for taking to time to critique, I honestly find this kind of thing extremely useful as I continue on the quest for perfect landscape shots of my home area.

1) I agree sunrise would be a better time for light, or at least interesting to see how it compares.

2) This is located beside hwy 40 called Wedge Pond. This shot was pretty rushed actually. I was late coming back to Calgary but the reflection I saw with the clouds from the highway made me quickly turn around! To get the whole pond would definitely require some pano-work.

3) I can try this from a different perspective, though I cannot honestly remember where on hwy 40 it is Maybe another trip through there is required now that I have my D800 instead of D300

Mar 20, 2014 at 01:25 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canmore area, Alberta

m.sommers00 wrote:
Thank you guys for taking to time to critique, I honestly find this kind of thing extremely useful as I continue on the quest for perfect landscape shots of my home area.

3) I can try this from a different perspective, though I cannot honestly remember where on hwy 40 it is Maybe another trip through there is required now that I have my D800 instead of D300

Likely the 3rd was taken from the pull out on highway 1, just west of the park gate. I have struggled with that location because it is not square to the mountains in the direction you are shooting.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.