Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet
Vincent Laforet shares practical examples of how to use Canon's tilt-shift lenses for architecture, portrait, lifestyle, and tabletop photography. Learn how a tilt-shift lens can correct, enhance and dramatically change a composition.

In Episode 1, Vincent gives an overview of what a tilt-shift lens is and how it differs from other lenses in the EOS lineup.

In Episode 2, Vincent talks about the shift property of the lens and how it can be used to correct distortion and also aid in multi-shot stitching by showing a few practical examples from around the city.

In Episode 3, Vincent shows a few examples of how the tilt functionality of the lens can shift the plane of focus to create a miniature look as well as increase the focus plane.

Watch the entire series

I've watched the videos and found it to be an excellent beginner's video tutorial. In my experience, you don't need 5 captures for a full stitch using Photoshop's PhotoMerge as demonstrated in Episode 2. (04:28m)
With the camera in landscape orientation, shifting vertically for a portrait orientation stitch, only 3 captures are needed. (-12, 0, +12mm). With the camera in landscape orientation while shifting horizontally for a panorama, even less captures are needed (-12mm and +12mm). In the video he used the TS-E 17mm and shifted up/down up to 11mm. The effective focal length for the stitch would be ~13mm.

Mar 19, 2014 at 07:29 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Thanks a bunch Fred!
Being the owner of your 17mm TS-E, this is 1 of the best tutorials around!!!

I am still learning its many functions.

I love it for buildings, structures etc but have yet to fully use it to its full potential.

Thanks for posting this link!
Dan

Mar 19, 2014 at 07:57 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

That makes me want a 17 tse badly.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Fred, thank you for posting this, I doubt my dexterity would allow me to use such lenses, but it is great to actually see how they are used in the creative process, cool stuff

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:31 PM
KiboOst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

off topic, but what is the interest of using an external screen like that ? Doesn't seems really bigger than 5D own screen ? I'm thinking about getting one for A7R but would prefer bigger ... May I miss something ?

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:48 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #6 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

A TSE is on my wish list. If the refurbished site ever has a sale on the 24 and I can get it for around $1600 I would definitely be tempted. Very cool lens.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:47 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

ggreene wrote:
A TSE is on my wish list. If the refurbished site ever has a sale on the 24 and I can get it for around $1600 I would definitely be tempted. Very cool lens.

Mine too I even saw one on Canon's refurb list at about $1800 if I remember correctly. Still not ready to commit, but videos like these are convincing me. Actually its the commitment to using a tripod that makes me hesitate - well, that and the cost.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:54 PM
victored

p.1 #8 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

rokinon's are not bad right?

Mar 20, 2014 at 08:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Thanks for point me there, Fred! Nice videos and very approachable.

Mar 20, 2014 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

KiboOst wrote:
off topic, but what is the interest of using an external screen like that ? Doesn't seems really bigger than 5D own screen ? I'm thinking about getting one for A7R but would prefer bigger ... May I miss something ?

Vincent Laforet is a videographer and makes movies (usually not Canon sales movies) for a living. In his case he is using the external monitor as an HD recording device, to get around some of the Canon based limitations such as length of a take, type of CODEC, etc.
I also use an HD monitor with low angle Tilt Shift lens use because its very difficult to view the LCD whenthe camera is nearly on the ground, perhaps inches from water. In that case you can use Live View standing above the camera looking downwards. The typical size for an HD monitor nowdays is 7" diagonal, a size very popular with videographers so they can compose and change manual focus with moving subjects while their head may be a few feet from the camera. The HD quality monitor is very important for me for the added resolution as it is otherwise challenging to fine adjust the manual focus and fine tilt adjustments. For maximum moniror resolution one has to use the camera HDMI output. All devices that use a wireless connection for the Live View (like Cam Ranger on a smart phone) do so at 640X480, much coarser than the HDMI output of 1920X1080.
Article about external monitor for T/S use with several examples is on the FM site under articles:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

I know that Nikon D800 on camera has a rather noisy Live View with a green color cast, compared to a much cleaner Canon LV. I haven't read of anyone yet using an external HD monitor on a Sony A7R to compare with.
Mike K

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Mike K wrote:
Vincent Laforet is a videographer and makes movies (usually not Canon sales movies) for a living. In his case he is using the external monitor as an HD recording device, to get around some of the Canon based limitations such as length of a take, type of CODEC, etc.
I also use an HD monitor with low angle Tilt Shift lens use because its very difficult to view the LCD whenthe camera is nearly on the ground, perhaps inches from water. In that case you can use Live View standing above the camera looking downwards. The typical size for
...Show more

For me, one of the big drawbacks for the Nikon D800 was its LV implementation. It is hard to nail focus in low light. The green cast was also another negative as reported on the review. On the other hand, Sony's "Live View focusing is very similar to Canon's being cleaner and responsive. You would like it Mike.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

I've gotta say that his videos are a bit disappointing for anyone aiming to actually learn how to use a t/s for architecture.

He's fully of the sloppiest technique I've seen in a long time, and the type of technique that will bite him in the ass down the road. First, he's got the center column on his tripod fully extended, which is okay if you really need it, but for the long exposures he's using - several seconds in many cases - becomes a great big invitation for camera movement. Second, he's using a ball head (RRS BH-40), which, while being a decent enough ball head, is very difficult to place accurately. That head (and yes, I own one) is notorious for a slight sag after tightening, but really, any serious architectural shooting is going to use a good geared head to be able to micro position the camera as needed. It's faster and more accurate. Lastly. What's this using the built in grid to "eyeball" the level of the camera? You can easily see even in the video how far off he is. A good gear head had very accurate levels built right into the head, and the 5D3 even has passable electronic levels built in as well. I prefer the app Clinometer for the iPhone (and Android I presume) to check camera and lens level to within 1/10th of a degree. Again, big time saver in post. I guess my "lastly" wasn't. No evidence of using a remote release. All 'round review. Big name. Lazy presentation.

Mar 21, 2014 at 02:05 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Fred Miranda wrote:
For me, one of the big drawbacks for the Nikon D800 was its LV implementation. It is hard to nail focus in low light. The green cast was also another negative as reported on the review. On the other hand, Sony's "Live View focusing is very similar to Canon's being cleaner and responsive. You would like it Mike.

Fred, I'm sure I would. seems A7R LCD also has a bit more resolution than Canon at 1.2 something M dots. I like the tilting screen too, too bad it wasn't swiveling as well.
I certainly am tempted but the adaptation has so many kludge fixes and work arounds for TSE shooters. The L bracket extension, adapter alignment issues, the non reflective paper on the metabones adapter, the mirror slap, potential light leaks, modified work flow, etc. I guess its all part of early adapters to a new system that isn't well worked out. Kind of like paying good $ for a early test version. It makes me hesitate.
Mike K

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:59 AM
dovey

p.1 #14 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Slightly off topic, but what is the tripod he is using?
Seems to be light, yet has a central post that comes up very high.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Maraming salamat Fred! (Many thanks Fred!)

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #16 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

I found it interesting, but not very instructional. I agree with Peter.

If you list the items that Canon has that are unique and valuable, tilt and shift would be a top 5. They should do better. Photoshop allows perspective control after the capture, but it is NOT the same. You can focus stack, but it is NOT the same.

Mar 21, 2014 at 04:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Peter -- I agree with you, but I think the intention as to water down the technical aspects and concentrate on the novelties like miniature selective focus. I was surprised when he said "clicks" instead of shifting a couple millimeters -- that's when I caught on that it was specific to non-technical types. As you know, there is a strong aversion to learning camera movements! I find that funny because that was one of my early "Ah HA!" moments in large format, having that control of focus and sizing. I've found it not so with most other people.

I think the video serves its purpose to remove some mystery surrounding the TSE lenses and make them attractive to a new set of photographers.

Definitely not Hall of Fame technical material!

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:28 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Canon video: Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet

Mike K wrote:
Fred, I'm sure I would. seems A7R LCD also has a bit more resolution than Canon at 1.2 something M dots. I like the tilting screen too, too bad it wasn't swiveling as well.
I certainly am tempted but the adaptation has so many kludge fixes and work arounds for TSE shooters. The L bracket extension, adapter alignment issues, the non reflective paper on the metabones adapter, the mirror slap, potential light leaks, modified work flow, etc. I guess its all part of early adapters to a new system that isn't well worked out. Kind of like paying good
...Show more

I am using the A7R with my 24 and 90 mm TSE lenses as well. The things which you might read regarding issues are exaggerated:
a) I don't use a L bracket. Simply mounting tripod plate onto the Metabones adapter works great.
b) Zero alignment issues with my Metabones III adapter
c) Read about the internal reflection in the adapter, so far it did not occur in any of my photos. Didn't put non reflective paper in my adapter.
d) No issues with shake from the shudder
e) Modified work flow - which? Everything works as usual with the TSE lenses.
f) Light Leak: is a confirmed issue. Didn't see it yet in any of my shots, but just as precaution I use a simple rubber band between adapter and camera mount.

I hesitated for a while, too. But now I regret that I didn't buy it earlier.

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password