Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

Lawrence Pry
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

I tried using roll paper for the first time last weekend. Everything worked as it should, until it came time to cut the paper. Following the instructions in the user's manual I advanced the paper. But I couldn't get the paper to advance far enough so I could get my Dahle roto-trimmer close enough to cut, without resting the trimmer on the paper output tray, which is far too flimsy to support the paper cutter. Even with the cutter resting on the tray, it was barely close enough to ensure a clean, straight cut.

I contacting Epson support but they had no information beyond that contained in the user's manual.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to cope with this problem? I told the Epson support tech that if I couldn't find a solution I would probably switch to panorama-size sheet paper, which Epson does not make.

Mar 19, 2014 at 05:28 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

Maybe I am not quite understanding, but couldn't you create a canvas long enough to have a white, non printed area, at the end that protrudes far enough out of the printer so you can make an initial cut with a pair of scissors then trim the print with your rotary cutter?

This is what I do with canvas.

Sam

Mar 19, 2014 at 07:32 PM
Lawrence Pry
• •
p.1 #3 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

I don't know. How would I do that? Would I do that by resetting the user-defined print size, i.e., instead of setting the print for 21 inches long I'd set it for, say, 25 inches long? Would that kick out four inches more paper at the back end?

Mar 19, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

I thought that if you have the roll attachment for the printer it has its own cutter. Once cut then you can fine cut with your rotary cutter.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:39 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

You could just change the sheet size to accommodate some extra length at the bottom (trailing edge). Or you could do what most people do and cut sheets from the roll before feeding. The alternative would be to cut the paper off with a knife and clean the edge with the trimmer afterwards.

Brian A

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:37 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #6 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

Brit-007 wrote:
I thought that if you have the roll attachment for the printer it has its own cutter.

Not on the 13" printers, no.

The official Epson solution is—prepare to be astounded!—to cut the paper at the output slot with a pair of scissors. Better on paper (no pun intended) than in practice. Unless you're a robot, it tends to leave an uneven edge which either needs to be trimmed properly before your next printing session or causes problems for your next printing session.

The best solution here is probably just to extend the canvas (if you're using Photoshop) or paper size (if you're using Lightroom) as Sam suggested.

Mar 20, 2014 at 01:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lawrence Pry
• •
p.1 #7 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

Thanks all. That was very useful. I'll try extending the canvas, as colinm suggests. And since I'm not printing on canvas I have to assume "canvas" is being used generically, to include paper, too (not just canvas).

Epson's crazy if that's its position; cutting with scissors means you have to re-load the paper before every print after removing it just to square the edge. Getting the paper into the proper slot to load it is not the easiest thing in the world to do, at least not on an R1900.

Mar 20, 2014 at 01:39 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #8 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

Lawrence Pry wrote:
Thanks all. That was very useful. I'll try extending the canvas, as colinm suggests. And since I'm not printing on canvas I have to assume "canvas" is being used generically, to include paper, too (not just canvas).

Epson's crazy if that's its position; cutting with scissors means you have to re-load the paper before every print after removing it just to square the edge. Getting the paper into the proper slot to load it is not the easiest thing in the world to do, at least not on an R1900.

Please consider this...........you bought a 13" printer designed to print on "sheet paper". You have decided you want to print using "roll paper" even though you clearly know this printer was not designed to do this.

Any time one uses a piece of equipment to perform a task is wasn't designed for it will be necessary to make some accommodations.

Your printer has no roll feed system, cutting mechanism, or software to handle roll feed printing. You have two solutions: deal with the printer you have and proceed with the advise provided, or buy a printer with a roll feed.

Don't blame Epson because you are using the printer to perform tasks it wasn't designed to do.

PS: I don't have Epson printers. I have 4 Canon printers, and use the printers for the tasks they were designed to do.

Sam

Mar 20, 2014 at 06:09 PM
Lawrence Pry
• •
p.1 #9 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

Sam,

Thanks for your sage "advice." By the way, you needn't have bothered to point out that you don't own an Epson printer. That's quite obvious from your post. If you had one, or merely knew anything about the R1900, you would know that it is designed to print on roll media.

Mar 20, 2014 at 06:27 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #10 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

Lawrence Pry wrote:
Sam,

Thanks for your sage "advice." By the way, you needn't have bothered to point out that you don't own an Epson printer. That's quite obvious from your post. If you had one, or merely knew anything about the R1900, you would know that it is designed to print on roll media.

OK, color me dumb. I looked a little more into the printer specs and they are stating the printer can handle roll paper, and is delivered with some type of roll paper attachment.

I now understand your comments, and agree!

Maybe they should have a disclaimer in there feature and specifications info:

"While it's true our Epson R1900 can print stunning panoramas up to 44" on roll paper using the included roll paper attachment, getting the print properly trimmed and out of the printer, plus resetting the roll paper for the next print will be an adventure into the world of DIY!. Good luck and don't call us."

Sam

Mar 20, 2014 at 07:02 PM
leterpee

p.1 #11 · Need help cutting roll paper on Epson R1900

I cut roll paper for my Epson (albeit the 3880) all the time.
If I have to do a 24 by 16 print I will cut say 28 inches of paper (remembering to wear white gloves and keep tension on the roll).
When printing in PS I put the actual measurments of the paper ie 28 by 17 under user defined in the setup and this will automatically align the paper evenly so there is roughly 2 inches either side.
Its handy to have this in the event of a little paper curl where you might get some ink bleed at the beginning of the print.
Trim to required size when dry

Apr 01, 2014 at 05:51 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password