New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 1DX "issue"/question

PLGrant13

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1DX "issue"/question

I have a new 1DX that I am still learning. I mainly shoot motorsports at night with a Lumedyne P2XX flash and the results have been remarkable. I also do some freelance for a newspaper and last night they sent me on a high school baseball game assignment. Since I normally shoot in single mode, I thought this would be a great time to let the camera stretch it's legs in continuous mode.

I noticed two things, one that was alarming...

I was shooting in Shutter Priority and noticed there was a VERY slight temperature difference between frames when shooting continuous with AWB set. I went to Manual WB and that cured it. I take it that it's just a nuance of the camera in AWB?

The more alarming thing was when I was "chimping", on about 4 occasions, after the shot the LCD would do the normal 2 second review (what I have it set at) and after it went off, I would try to review it via the "arrow" button and the screen would remain dark......"Menu" button? Nothing either......Cycle the power to the camera? Nothing.....Remove the battery and replace it? Nothing....... It would only allow me to review it after I had taken another shot. It was very random.....Like I say, I took around 300 shots and it only did this probably 4 times. Am I losing it in my old age and missing something?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:27 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1DX "issue"/question

I've noticed a very slight WB shift a couple of times, but it was in a complex artificial lighting situation (LED, incandescent mix). I've also seen slight focus shifts under those situations when using AI Servo. I've never had a problem with the LCD locking up. What firmware version are you using?

...Dave

PLGrant13 wrote:
I have a new 1DX that I am still learning. I mainly shoot motorsports at night with a Lumedyne P2XX flash and the results have been remarkable. I also do some freelance for a newspaper and last night they sent me on a high school baseball game assignment. Since I normally shoot in single mode, I thought this would be a great time to let the camera stretch it's legs in continuous mode.

I noticed two things, one that was alarming...

I was shooting in Shutter Priority and noticed there was a VERY slight temperature difference between frames when shooting continuous with
...Show more

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:06 PM
PLGrant13

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1DX "issue"/question

Last night was artificial lighting, and that is what I attributed it too. With manual WB it was rock solid.

The firmware version is 2.0.3

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1DX "issue"/question

PLGrant13 wrote:
...The more alarming thing was when I was "chimping", on about 4 occasions, after the shot the LCD would do the normal 2 second review (what I have it set at) and after it went off, I would try to review it via the "arrow" button and the screen would remain dark......"Menu" button? Nothing either......Cycle the power to the camera? Nothing.....Remove the battery and replace it? Nothing....... It would only allow me to review it after I had taken another shot. It was very random.....Like I say, I took around 300 shots and it only did this probably 4 times.
...Show more

I don't have any auto-review set, but I have never had a similar problem when reviewing images using the 'play' button (arrow). I'm running with FW 2.0.3, too.

This doesn't sound right. You should contact Canon Service to hear what they have to say. Are you a member of CPS? If not, it's worth considering.

Mar 19, 2014 at 02:42 PM
PLGrant13

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1DX "issue"/question

I am a CPS member...But I thought I'd ask the smart people first!

Mar 19, 2014 at 02:52 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1DX "issue"/question

I have not encountered the LCD problem either. As stated, a call to CPS maybe warranted.
Good luck!
Dan

Mar 19, 2014 at 03:01 PM
PLGrant13

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1DX "issue"/question

I just got off the phone with CPS. Their first question was one I had already eliminated and that was whether the buffer was still writing (I shoot RAW), for which it wasn't. After talking it over, we came to the conclusion that it could possibly be a CF issue. I am shooting again tonight and will use a different card and then I will run 2 cards after I verify it. I will report on it tomorrow.

On the AWB deal, it too was what I suspected. The tech verified that especially in "Servo", in AWB, the camera is just doing it's thing.

Mar 19, 2014 at 03:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.