Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

I know most of you include full rez e-session files with you wedding packages. Thus, after sales are not a big part of what you do. For those of you who do...this is more for you.

We had a few e-sessions last year where we traveled quite far (5 hours+) and got zero sales after the fact. It was not because they photos were sub-par...in both cases they loved them. But, they were both people that were on tighter budgets. We charged a little bit for travel expenses, but probably not as much as we should. So, in both these cases, we spent two full days out of the office (travel/shooting day, hotel stay at night, then travel back), and got nothing for it.

The wife and I were just talking about finding a way to ensure we are not wasting two days and basically losing money by not being able to accomplish our regular work in as timely a manner. The two options are to charge an exaggerated travel fee or two require a product order minimum. We do not really like the travel charge fee going way up, because if people do still decide to buy, then they basically gave us money for nothing. But, I am not sure how well the order minimum would be received. Granted, 90% of our couples buy a reasonable amount after the session, so it is not a huge issue. But, it's one that is weighing on us more as our free time becomes less and less.

Thoughts?

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:37 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

Product order minimum of at least $1,000+ seems pretty fair to me. In my case that means a $500 guestbook + $500 in print credits, which goes pretty quickly.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

Since it's destination you can do whatever you want.

For me, I would still use a travel rate. I include up to an hour each way of driving for an e-session. After which I charge based upon my expenses and time. I think the problem you will have with a minimum order is trying to get people that just don't want anything out of the session will now still have to be convinced to take things.

If you are charging travel, and people don't want to pay it all. Then have them meet you half way. Or have them do the out of pocket costs themselves. To me it's the easiest to explain and lay out. I drive X number of hours, spend Y on travel and hotel. You owe me Z.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

It's seems like you're unsure if you WANT to travel or not? Do you?

Traveling in this line of work is usually either A) Not as financially good, but fun or B) Financially good, but no one wants to pay for it.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

The value the clients are getting is in the photos being taken or existing. So you have to get paid for that. If they don't want or can't afford add-ons then you have to get paid for creating the photos and not for middle-manning the prints. Charge for the value upfront.

As Tony said, rarely is travel work as lucrative as working in your backyard.

- trr

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:52 PM
katchsilva

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

I agree that local is often more lucrative. However what I get out of shooting with travel is the experience of shooting someplace new. You run out of places fast if you do all local, especially engagements (at least where I live). And the adventure for me is worth it.

What I do is have an upfront travel fee for traveling engagement sessions. If they couple really wants a certain location, they'll be okay with paying it. I rarely make lots of $ on prints anyway, that's not my main selling point. Good luck with it!

Mar 19, 2014 at 06:49 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

We definitely enjoy traveling, but apart from luxurious locations that are something we can turn into a mini-getaway, I would rather still make a small amount from the trip. It will not likely be close to what we make on a normal e-session, and I am fine with that. I tend to under-charge on travel expenses, so that's one thing I have to take care of. But, I might want to do the order minimum. For me, if I am going to spend 10+ hours in the car both ways, use up at least two days of work, and (now) leave our baby behind, I need to have at least a small order to be sure that we are not throwing the time away.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

Why just make a small amount from the trip?

- trr

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

Sounds like you are basically running a portrait photography business.

You need to use their pricing models.

Flat sitting fee and variable print fees.

Guess your problem is that these are your wedding clients used to the wedding pricing model of a all in one bundle price.

Maybe you can try packages with print credits / file credits?

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

so what exactly are you charging for the engagement sessions? are you giving them away for free as an incentive to book your packages?

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

joelconner wrote:
We had a few e-sessions last year where we traveled quite far (5 hours+) and got zero sales after the fact. It was not because they photos were sub-par...in both cases they loved them. But, they were both people that were on tighter budgets...

The wife and I were just talking about finding a way to ensure we are not wasting two days and basically losing money... The two options are to charge an exaggerated travel fee or two require a product order minimum.

There's a third option, and it works better than artificially hiking prices or legislating purchases:

Work with couple who aren't on such tight budgets.

You'll find suddenly the exact same efforts you may be putting in now result in greater profits.

Mar 21, 2014 at 01:10 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

TheGE wrote:
There's a third option, and it works better than artificially hiking prices or legislating purchases:

Work with couple who aren't on such tight budgets.

You'll find suddenly the exact same efforts you may be putting in now result in greater profits.

I agree...but sometimes it's hard to know the difference between someone who is scraping to be able to afford the package they chose and someone who has more money to spend. This was not a couple we would have expected to be on a tight budget. It was not until we were at the session and talking with them that it came out how much they had to stretch to afford us.

Mar 21, 2014 at 02:30 PM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

you can tell your couples you only provide the LOW-res file after the e-session and they would receive the HI-res e-session pics at the time of deliver of the wedding pictures. This tends to push print sales (large print to be displayed at the wedding/guest books..ect)

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:16 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

I'm in the high sitting fee, make your money up front camp. I always treat print sales as the cherry on top rather than the main meal.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

For me, print sales are always the unexpected bonus money. My business model is package based, and assumes 80% of the clients aren't going to spend a dime on prints.

Unfortunately, this is not my full time gig, and I don't have anywhere near enough bookings to make any real money off prints.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:21 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ordering Minimum for "destination" e-sessions.

You could have a "Destination E-Session" package for any sessions that require 4 hours or more of travel. Require travel fees that are dependent on where you are going, and along with your normal shooting fee, include $500 or whatever in print or album credits. Whatever you come up with on the $$ for credits is what you would require as a minimum to make the session viable for your business.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.