New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

When I got into the Elinchrom system years ago I rolled my eyes a bit when I unpackaged the Skyport SPEED Transmitter. Totally flimsy was my impression. I’m really careful with my gear but I bumped it during a shoot this past weekend and the plastic hotshoe mount broke away from both of the tiny screws that attach the electronic mother ship to the mount.

Totally my fault but again, I’m careful and it wasn’t a hard knock so I’m frustrated at how delicate the unit is.

My intention has always been to move to Pocket Wizards or the like at some point so my questions are:

1) Anyone else feel the same about the Skyport build – how’s your experience with them been?

2) Hotshoes are such small attachment platforms – is this the nature of the beast or do other systems offer more robust construction?

3) Pocket Wizard or other?

4) Any insights as to what I would gain over the Skyport moving to another triggering system?

Addressing one question or all (or any input in general) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Mar 18, 2014 at 09:02 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

I used my original Skyport transmitter many times and never had a problem. But I have since upgraded to the latest model. It has a nice locking shoe mechanism now and the button are beefier. Still no problems. I also use the Pocketwizard TT system for Hypersinc but I prefer the Skyport.

Mar 18, 2014 at 09:48 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

I've got both the original Skyport and Skyport speed and haven't had any concerns with them. Just used the original Skyport tonight.

I also bought a set of PocketWizard Plus X triggers for when I needed a bit more reliable distance triggering outdoors. I would say that the build quality between the PocketWizard Plus X and the Skyport is similar.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

We have broken two skyports. Managed to glue one together & use it with the cable to the 10 pin plug.

The unit that comes with the Dlites fell apart when dropped & although not broken it wouldn't work. They are expensive. We would go with the St4 to use with our FlexTT5's but we have two DLites that aren't compatible like our BX500's are.

Also seem to be getting more non fires from the lights lately. Should buy another Einstein

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

Greg, Sheldon, Mike - thanks so much for taking the time to answer. More questions to come but the day's begun.

Mar 19, 2014 at 05:35 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

Had Skyport when used Elinchrom - had same concerns re: durability, fiddly switch work, etc.

Everyone has varied experiences, but I grew to distrust & hate mine - lots of misfires - some for no apparent reason, some from (apparent) poor contact with hot shoe (multiple cameras), broken switches, etc. Also HATED the fact used CR batteries or were rechargeable only. Everything else aside, I'd never again use ANY system that didn't use commonly available A2 or A3 batteries.

Moved to PW Plus IIs when moved to Profoto. Very bulky but very reliable and durable. Long range (in testing only) could be iffy due to interference, but never an issue 99% of time for what I do. Long lasting on A2 batteries and nice hot shoe lock.

When started adding Profoto AiR-capable units to kit locker, I migrated to AiR Transceivers and love them. Small but nice ergonomics w/robust switches, dead-nuts reliable and last a long-lasting on any A3 batteries . No hot shoe lock, but very firm mount - never had issues with loose contacts, etc.

Mar 20, 2014 at 08:41 AM
TMGraphics
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

You also may want to look into Microsync triggers and receivers. Small footprint on the hotshoe.
Microsync Kit

Mar 29, 2014 at 09:20 AM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strobe triggering systems/options - Elinchrom problem

Have had the same set of skyports for over five years with zero problems. I did put rubber washers around the on/off button to avoid accidentally turning them on in the bag.
They have been reliable and solid. I only had firing issues once when shooting a wedding party and the lights were through woods and about 300 feet from me (transmitter). They worked but only every few triggers.

Mar 29, 2014 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.