Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

CanonPhotog

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

dhphoto, thanks for the explanation. And yes, I'm familiar with Auto ISO, use it on my 5DIII occasionally. I always shoot in manual mode. The times I do find Auto ISO convenient, I no longer consider that strictly "manual mode" even though the dial is on "M". It's more like "P" mode. I set the ISO range fairly tight (that works for me).

I whole-heartedly agree that it would be nice to have the ability to change the ISO as you describe. I can see what ISO the camera thinks is right based on the chosen shutter and aperture, and if I don't agree, select an alternate by going back to manual ISO selection. I can do that fairly quickly using the ISO select button near my index finger and go up or down for true exposure compensation without ever taking my eye away from the viewfinder. (A work-around for sure)

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Gia.Public

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Seems to me we need one more shooting mode that is a combination of AV and TV where you can set these two values and camera does the rest following same logic keeping M for full manual.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:45 PM
Robin Smith
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

I feel so cripplingly limited with only 1/4000 vs 1/8000 and 1/180 vs/ 1/200. The 1/20 s difference in max sync speed completely ruins any attempt at flash photography, and that one stop difference of max speed: now I can't take any shots in daylight - curse you Canon!

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:59 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Gia.Public wrote:
Seems to me we need one more shooting mode that is a combination of AV and TV where you can set these two values and camera does the rest following same logic keeping M for full manual.

Why? You still have auto focus in manual mode, where is the harm in having auto ISO? Cluttering the interface for the sake of it makes no sense to me.

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:47 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Robin Smith wrote:
I feel so cripplingly limited with only 1/4000 vs 1/8000 and 1/180 vs/ 1/200. The 1/20 s difference in max sync speed completely ruins any attempt at flash photography, and that one stop difference of max speed: now I can't take any shots in daylight - curse you Canon!

The downgrade of 1/200 to 1/180 seems a little silly but in reality makes no significant difference in actual use. I can't remember the last time I used 1/8000 on my cameras that have it. Maybe if I forget to dial down ISO after a late night shoot...

Mar 20, 2014 at 05:04 PM
asiafish
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

dhphoto wrote:
You probably know this but on some newer Canons if you leave the ISO on auto in M mode the camera will try and obtain a correct exposure by changing the ISO while leaving the SS and AP as you set them.

This is all very well and clever but if you don't like the exposure the camera has chosen you have no means of changing it - ie you can't use 'exposure compensation' in M mode, which would be quite useful (you could alter it so it didn't underexpose a white dress by trying to make it grey, but still
...Show more

If you don't want the camera to set exposure by adjusting ISO in M mode, SET A MANUAL ISO.

I think Canon got it right. I use M mode when I want to select both specific shutter speed and aperture. If I also want to select ISO manually (which I often do) then I just manually select the ISO I want. Incidentally, M mode with AUTO ISO is my favorite way to shoot the 6D.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM
umgrizz

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

All in all, this "update" hardly seems worth the trouble and the risk, inherent in every update, of screwing up the camera.

Curt

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

asiafish wrote:
I think Canon got it right. I use M mode when I want to select both specific shutter speed and aperture. If I also want to select ISO manually (which I often do) then I just manually select the ISO I want. Incidentally, M mode with AUTO ISO is my favorite way to shoot the 6D.

Well if you have totally unchanging light levels then sure they got it right, but in the real world they got it it totally wrong.

The exposure you set is valid for one light level, if it changes and you have manual ISO, you get incorrect exposure. This is why we use Auto ISO so we don't have to worry about changing ISO as light levels change.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM
ldallan

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Gochugogi wrote:
the 6D menu gave me a warning after the update: "Irregular communication with battery. Do you still want to use it?" So looks like Canon has sniffed out my STK clone. My genuine LP-E6 is fine...

I noticed this with firmware 1.1.3 ...

Overall, my 6d is fussier / pickier about batteries than my 5d2. Even the 6d charger can be a p.i.t.a.

Mar 21, 2014 at 01:58 PM
asiafish
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Well if you have totally unchanging light levels then sure they got it right, but in the real world they got it it totally wrong.

The exposure you set is valid for one light level, if it changes and you have manual ISO, you get incorrect exposure. This is why we use Auto ISO so we don't have to worry about changing ISO as light levels change.

M mode with auto ISO is automatic exposure. M mode with a manually selected ISO is manual exposure. Sorry, but I prefer having the choice, which the current setup gives me.

Mar 21, 2014 at 03:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

asiafish wrote:
M mode with auto ISO is automatic exposure. M mode with a manually selected ISO is manual exposure. Sorry, but I prefer having the choice, which the current setup gives me.

Yes indeed, choice is great. Which is why also having the choice of using EC with auto ISO would cover all needs

Mar 21, 2014 at 03:32 PM
Gia.Public

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

jj_glos wrote:
Why? You still have auto focus in manual mode, where is the harm in having auto ISO? Cluttering the interface for the sake of it makes no sense to me.

AF has nothing (or almost nothing) to do with exposure levels, 3 others are controlling exactly that - amount of light and exposure levels.
And i don't see any harm in having auto ISO, all i'm saying is that looks like we want to have a mode when we control 2 parameters and camera sets third.

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:18 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Gia.Public wrote:
AF has nothing (or almost nothing) to do with exposure levels, 3 others are controlling exactly that - amount of light and exposure levels.
And i don't see any harm in having auto ISO, all i'm saying is that looks like we want to have a mode when we control 2 parameters and camera sets third.

On my 6D exposure does vary if I move the the AF point around. Apparently there is some exposure bias according to AF point placement.

However, Canon merely needs to come up with a different name for a new mode, e.g., programmed M mode or intelligent M or whatever and leave traditional M mode the hell alone. There's room on the dial or menus for iM or Pm mode. I use standard M mode all the time for product and macro tripod shots and would hate it if ISO starting sliding up and down...

Mar 21, 2014 at 09:30 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Gia.Public wrote:

The only reason I can see to have a separate mode (and to block auto ISO in manual) is just to be precious over "I'm using manual". If you don't want auto ISO in manual mode, don't select it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM
asiafish
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Exactly, and if you really want EC and Auto ISO, why not just shoot in A or TV mode?

Edited on Mar 26, 2014 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:45 PM
rosscova
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

I don't get the issue with auto ISO. Most people regularly use modes where we select 2 of the 3 main exposure parameters (ISO, aperture, shutter speed), letting the camera select a third based on meter readings and EC selected (Av and Tv both do this).

There are 3 settings, why not 3 modes? We have manual ISO and aperture (Av), we have manual ISO and shutter speed (Tv), it seems manual shutter speed and aperture (auto ISO in M mode) is a logical extension. Why not?

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:25 PM
asiafish
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Update applied, no issue with my third-party battery.

Mar 27, 2014 at 03:06 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

asiafish wrote:
Update applied, no issue with my third-party battery.

Good to hear, thanks!

Mar 27, 2014 at 03:13 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

asiafish wrote:
Exactly, and if you really want EC and Auto ISO, why not just shoot in A or TV mode?

Because it makes sense?

It's one of those things that just doesn't make sense to exclude arbitrarily, especially when Canon enables it on their top-end camera and other companies have no problem with it.

Here's why I want it: I want to control aperture for DOF and sharpness, and I want to control shutter speed to isolate or introduce subject movement, but I want the camera to adjust the ISO speed according to it's metering- except that the meter is 'wrong', or because I want to expose to the right, etc. Not having this option forces me to slow down arbitrarily.

Mar 27, 2014 at 03:19 AM
asiafish
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon Releases EOS 6D Firmware Version 1.1.4

Nothing is perfect.

Mar 27, 2014 at 05:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password