New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 4.5 / 28 HM Aspheric

pesto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 4.5 / 28 HM Aspheric

Does anyone know if and possibly when we might be seeing this lens here in the States?

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:06 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 4.5 / 28 HM Aspheric

Might get a better response in the Alternate Gear forum. Damn sexy lenses those Schneiders.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 4.5 / 28 HM Aspheric

I have a friend with the 50 and 90.

Despite the slagging in the media he gets stunning results.

Mar 19, 2014 at 02:06 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 4.5 / 28 HM Aspheric

I don't know much about Schneider and I have not been able to find any tests or references to know its quality. The only spot I have read objective testing is with diglloyd but it is pay per view and not the 24.

Which takes me to:
The canon TS90 is excellent.
The canon TS24 is best in class and excellent.
The canon TS17 is the best in the uwa class and excellent.

photozone.de has reviews of 24/17 for which indicate excellent. The digitalpicture has reference pictures that show TS17,24,90 are excellent.
The weakness in the Canon TS line is the TS45 which most tests report as very good but not excellent.

I have looked for what could be better than the TS45 canon because it has room to improve and read diglloyd on this which impies Schneider is as good as Canon but not better for 90. Ultimately I am not going to buy a lens for $3500 without some objective data, so I stopped.Unless I saw some objective testing, I would stick to Canon. The reviews I have seen have suggested that Canon 17,24,90 are not likely bested by Schneider .

All of which brings me to, if you looking to Schneider I would be looking at 50mm not 24mm which Canon owns the market on as being the best mid 20 lens available (ts24).

Edited on Mar 19, 2014 at 05:54 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:13 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 4.5 / 28 HM Aspheric

I have only used Canon tilt shift lenses, and have the excelent Canon 17 and 24 TS-E lenses, plus the reasonable Canon 45 TS-E lens. For 24mm, the Canon gives great performance at a semi reasonable price, so I doubt the look for getting a Schneider equivilant is worth the work.

There are a few things about the Schneider tilt shift lenses that you should keep in mind. First is the price which is a lot more than a similar lens from Canon. Second is that there is no electronic aperture control on the Schneider lenses, so you need to use the preset aperture ring and manually open up and close down for each shot. Third is that there is no chip for focus confirm function and no reporting of the lens focal length or model or aperture to the camera on the Schneider lenses.

As others have stated, the mid focal length is where the Canon 45 is weak. The image quality is not all that great as you shift out toward the edges of the image circle, and the lens lacks a built in way for a user to adjust the alignment of the tilt and shift axis. Many have dreams of Canon releasing an improved 45mm Tilt Shift lens, but that waiting game can go on for years or even decades. In the mean time, a work around is to use a telextender with the Canon 24mm TS-E, to give you a 34mm TS, as well as a 48mm TS. Not a perfect solution, but very usable if you do not need a wide aperture for the shot.

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.