Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

James_N
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Where's the link to YOUR tutorial?

Mar 19, 2014 at 06:49 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.2 #2 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Bifurcator wrote:
Already done. Mine was free and included how to incorporate CG besides just lighting, framing, and environment.

And I'm not hating on "a photographer". I'm laughing my ass off about the ridiculous pricing!

So you are jealous of his pricing then? Or you just know better as to what his costs are? Perhaps he offers a better product? You seem threatened by the person. So what if yours was free. No, you're definitely hating and comparing yourself. Makes you come off as either threatened or insecure. The photography world is chalk full of other photographers that like to know better, or have better methods, or pick apart what others are doing and charging. The ones doing the best are never the ones talking shit about others. It's always the insecure ones picking apart anyone making a living from it.

Mar 19, 2014 at 08:25 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Hehe, all wrong. I'm not even in the business. But overpriced is overpriced - he's charging seminar / school prices for off-line single purpose content. And that's all there is to say about it.

Don't you laugh when you go shopping and see the same thing in two shops where one is charging $500 and the other is charging $5…? That's the only reaction slash critique I've voiced here. No hate, no compare, just a laugh.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.2 #4 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

^ He used to provide info for free a year or two ago. I have to say that some of it was very detailed and the setup shots for illustrating lighting techniques relalting to product photography were very good.

As to whether his current pricing is laughable, it's the law of supply and demand at work. If no one's buying, the price will come down. If the product is selling well, the laughing takes place on the way to the bank.

The videos are blocked for me atm, but looks like there still some free content.

Edited on Mar 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Tru dat. I wonder if we can get this back on topic tho with critiquing the OP's work and suggesting techniques?

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.2 #6 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

This thread had the potential to offer some real information to the OP and all of the lurkers that happened across it. Instead, it turned into a bitchy, juvenile exchange that's embarrassing to read. I've been on this site for 10 years and stuff like this makes me want to go elsewhere.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

I see. And your post there offered him assistance in what way exactly?

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:23 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Orlov,

You've received some good advice. To my eye your "brights" are blown out. Look carefully at the left lion head in your first pix. I don't know what your relationship is to the pieces (maker, reseller, etc.?) nor do I know what your level of experience and expertise is in photography. The suggestion that you hire a photographer might be a valid investment depending on how your time is used. If you want to do it yourself, then you do have a learning curve. You've got some good links suggested.

This is likely just my śsthetics, but I think a white background is the worst thing you can display gold on. Black and royal blue leap out at me.

Robert

Mar 21, 2014 at 05:11 PM
diamondsdr47
• •
p.2 #9 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Hi, I see you using 3 lights, why not just to start with one and master it and what the point of using strip box while using light tent...
The background never going to be white(255 value) at given lighting situation, the necklace you can hang it in vertical position will definitely look better...
Now I'm agree with others on the book(someone suggested it to you while back, surprised u don't have it yet), can tell you nothing about Alex videos, but did one on one training for some people above 2k for one day(not offering it to anybody at the moment), basically we all have to invest in ourselves be it money or time.... As for background you can make it completely white by doing clipping path(masking) in Photoshop.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Orlov wrote:
Any suggestions on anything else to do?? Filters, smoothing, etc...?

The colour is off, and they are overexposed.

Solid tripod, wireless remote, mirror lock-up - sharpness is crucial.

Softer light - diffuse daylight (where can you shoot?) - watch the direction to help model/shape the pieces.

Choose some suitable fabrics in suitable colours for setting your jewelry on. Try gold on purple and a shade of sky blue.

Study the use of mirrors and black card - lay jewelry on mirrors, black card as b/ground or flags.

Stacks of info online - be patient and experiment when you have the time - really look at what you are shooting before you do so.

And get that monitor calibrated.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Akoloskov
• •
p.2 #11 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Interesting discussion, thanks everyone! :-)

The ultimate suggestion for OP: join our FB group ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/photigy/ ) and you'll get all the answers to your questions. And all of it for free, if this is your concern :-)
The only condition we have there is that you need to share your own findings/solutions/techniques. We help each other , and this screenshot is one of many feedback we have from our community members.

BTW, on Photigy Pro Corner we do assignments every 2 weeks, and every participant receives a personal critique and feedback on a submitted shot (beside a whole workshop on the assignment shot).
Yes, is is not free but cost much less than jewelry course. And yes, this is what I do for living: help other photographers to grow and get clients.

Mar 30, 2014 at 06:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password