Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Orlov
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

I am post processing some images of jewelry for my store and I feel like I am not doing enough to really make the pictures pop and look good. I am semi satisfied with my results so far, but am hoping someone can add somet things I should be doing.

These pictures are taken with the Sony a7r + Einstein + 2 hotshoe flashes with a stripbox and also inside a light tent.

Light processing in Lightroom and then in PS all I really do is a levels adjustment to add some contrast, and then I unsharp mask to 40-50 / 3 / 1 to sharpen. And then any spots or reflections are cleaned up with stamp and clone.

Any suggestions on anything else to do?? Filters, smoothing, etc...?

Mar 18, 2014 at 03:40 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

You might want to take a look at Alex Koloskov's site; he has lots of hints on photographing jewelry: Jewelry Photography & Lighting Tutorials

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:31 AM
Orlov
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

James_N wrote:
You might want to take a look at Alex Koloskov's site; he has lots of hints on photographing jewelry: Jewelry Photography & Lighting Tutorials

all the good stuff costs $650 and the one free video that pertains to me the guy goes sooooo fast and I can't understand a word hes saying because of his accent .

Mar 18, 2014 at 07:59 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

My first instinct says that your lighting is too harsh and that you need to pay much closer attention to what is reflecting in your subject. Even comes down to very subtle angles of the pieces and how they reflect the light. It feels like the highlight areas in the gold, while not blown out completely, are too white. Read the RGB numbers and you'll see that. In addition, the background is not white, which is distracting, and if you're going to put them on a white background on a web site, it will be even more so. I think that your Levels adjustment, whatever it was, has also added perhaps more saturation than you anticipated. While these images do feel "gold", they also feel a bit hyper saturated, a little too gold.

Mar 18, 2014 at 09:43 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Sorry; I didn't realize you wanted free information.

I don't shoot jewelry but I've learned a lot over the years just by looking at his free stuff; like his use of focus stacking when shooting jewelry, for example.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

I suggest you buy and read "Light - Science & Magic" by Hunter, Fuqua, & Fils. It explains how to shoot shiny objects.

Using the tent is doing you no favors. The overwhelming specular highlights make it difficult to see the details of your objects.

<Chas>

Mar 18, 2014 at 03:15 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

I would second what has been said already: the background is pink, light tents are fast but generally not good for hot white background jewelry shots, and Light. Science and Magic.

While they would probably work ok for eBay, if you plan to use them for your own site, I would suggest more complex setups. Buy a copy of Vogue, or the NY Times Sunday edition to see how watch and jewelry is shot.

Brian A

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:26 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Lynda.com has a tutorial on jewelry photography. You can subscribe to Lynda for $25 for one month.

Here is another site that offers a lot of tips.

Mar 18, 2014 at 07:32 PM
Orlov
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

hmmm my monitor shows the background as white =/

Mar 18, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Read the RGB pixel values. It's not.

Mar 18, 2014 at 08:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Orlov wrote:
hmmm my monitor shows the background as white =/

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Practice practice

Learn to color correct or get someone to do it for you - don't be a cheapskate.

Hire a photographer!

Focus on what u r good at - and get someone who is good at photographing to do the job

Good luck

Henrik

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:42 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

highlights blown = detail lost

greg

Mar 19, 2014 at 02:07 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

You can go far with a light box and the right setup. My wife shot all of the images on this site (including of the model wearing it), and all of the closeup product shots were in a lightbox with a missing side, and a 150mm macro lens.

http://www.panachediamonds.com/

Site's not live yet, but the client was very pleased with the images. You might try leaving strategic portions of the lightcube open to create some reflections. Before buying the incredibly dull and overwritten Light Science and Magic book (which I own but don't really like or use), try moving some things around and experimenting with light positions, open panels in the light box, and various perspectives.

Also, consider getting some jewelery posing "putty" or wax. My wife tells me that stuff worked wonders.

Mar 19, 2014 at 05:03 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

James_N wrote:

Orlov wrote:
all the good stuff costs $650 and the one free video that pertains to me the guy goes sooooo fast and I can't understand a word hes saying because of his accent .

Yeah, with his prices I better be able to take home the jewelry when he's done blabbing the nonsense he calls a tutorial.

Mar 19, 2014 at 08:54 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

You're always welcome to create your own tutorials; I'm sure they will be well received.

Bifurcator wrote:
Yeah, with his prices I better be able to take home the jewelry when he's done blabbing the nonsense he calls a tutorial.

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:10 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Bifurcator wrote:

Yaawwwwn...another dickhead photographer hating on other photographers. If your so good, then do some yourself...no? Didn't think so.

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

Already done. Mine was free and included how to incorporate CG besides just lighting, framing, and environment.

And I'm not hating on "a photographer". I'm laughing my ass off about the ridiculous pricing!

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:52 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

So, where's the link to your tutorial?

I don't begrudge a guy who took the risk of moving from Russia to the U.S., not knowing the language, etc and yet establishing what appears to be a thriving photography business. I also don't get the complaints about his pricing; non one is compelled to buy from him. But I've learned a lot just observing his free photography tutorials and his wife's retouching techniques.

http://www.koloskov.com/

http://genia-l.com/

Bifurcator wrote:
Already done. Mine was free and included how to incorporate CG besides just lighting, framing, and environment.

And I'm not hating on "a photographer". I'm laughing my ass off about the ridiculous pricing!

Mar 19, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Critique and Suggest Jewelry Photography

OK, you're a fan - we get it. A few others here are not for whatever reasons. End.

Mar 19, 2014 at 06:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password