Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

Hi - I am going to rent a 300 f 2.8 and extender and need to know if my lens plate L84 I think can be used with this lens? Thanks - I need to know within the next couple hours! I checked RRS web site and they do sell a different plate for the 300, but am hoping this will work.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM
4x4rock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

FWIW, I have used plates from different lenses on my 300 IS a couple of times when mounted on monopod and they worked fine. I even mounted a universal plate and it worked too. As long as the hole line up and the plate is long enough to be secured to the clamp, it will be fine. The only concern is the twist lock lip at the end of the plate. Just keep an eye out for it.

My brother in law use the one from 70-200 on his 300 non-is and it works fine for him too.

The longer plate for the 300 also has hole to accomodate a flash bracket - but it's the same.

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

Thank you - I just spoke with someone at RRS, and they suggest the multi-purpose rail, but since I'm renting and I will likely be hand holding it most of the time, not sure I want to buy one. Although it might actually come in handy for other lenses.... She did mention that lip at the end that makes it - well, they said, I couldn't use it. I think I'll take my chances.

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

You did not say if you will be using the rented 300 on a monopod, or on a Wimberley or some form of gimbal head. A longer plate like one of the RRS multipurpose plates is very helpful to achieve proper balance on a gimbal head, but balance is much less important on a monopod. The short plate with the anti twist ridge will likely go on to the 300 facing one way or the other, but I am away from my gear right now, so I can not verify that. If you did get one of the RRS MPR plates, they come with accessory parts you can install that can form an anti twist function. I like the longest MPR on my 300 f2.8 L IS, for a full range of balance including with extenders, and also I like the long smooth surface for my hand to go aganist when hand holding.

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:39 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

Good points, Roland. I would be using a Jobu jr. gimbal head with this. The plate they recommended was the MPR-113. Is that the one you have?

Mar 17, 2014 at 02:18 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

I started out using the RRS MPR-113 Multipurpose Plate on my 300 2.8 L IS, but eventually went to the longer MPR-1. the MPR-113 is probably long enough to cover the range of balance including use with extenders, but I prefer the extra length just to not worry about running out of room, plus I find it nice for support while hand holding, as I mentioned before. Another nice thing about the long plate is it is a better handle to grab the lens by the plate to carry it hanging down, and also gives a better grip to pull it our of a bag and re grab it to drop it on to the clamp on the Wimberley.

Either the MPR-113 or the MPR-1 can also be used for other uses by adding a small screw clamp, which give you a macro slider rail for positioning a camera, and also gives you a so called nodal slide for panoramas. So if you get one now, it has other uses until you give in and buy a "Big White".

Mar 17, 2014 at 06:25 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

I used my 100-400 plate on the 300II when I rented it 2 years ago. Worked just fine especially if just renting. Now that I own the 300II I use a full CRX-5 replacement foot for it as that is the most ideal.

Mar 17, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS L plate for 100-400 work with 300 f2.8?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I think this time out, since it's only for the weekend and since I'll be shooting cranes and prairie chickens I'm going to try to use my own plate. I reckon I'll be hand holding it for the most part anyway. Sure wish I understood about those multi use plates before; I could have gotten one of those and called it good for many lenses…. :-) And I will be renting the 2X as well…

Mar 17, 2014 at 07:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.