New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · eyecup use

RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · eyecup use

I've seen several people who leave it off. Some leave it on. What are the main advantages/disadvantages to each setup? I have always kept mine one but took it off recently and find that the viewfinder is slightly larger with it off. Any disadvantages to leaving it off?

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:12 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · eyecup use

Do you mean the standard Canon eyecup? Always on. I usually gather enough bruises anyway.

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:15 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · eyecup use

Paul Mo wrote:
Do you mean the standard Canon eyecup? Always on. I usually gather enough bruises anyway.

Yes, the one that comes with the camera.

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · eyecup use

Always, unless using an aftermarket one.

EBH

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · eyecup use

I use the eyecup soft rubber thingy almost all of the time. I say almost, because I sometimes use a Z-Finder on the LCD of a 6D, but not often. It's even softer.

I have, more than once, had to use the finder without the eyecup, because it fell off, and I couldn't find it (i.e. I lost it), and I usually get a sore eyebrow after about ten minutes.

I like to have three points of contact when I'm shooting handheld. Generally, it's right hand on the grip (shutter finger poised or pushed), left hand on/under the lens, and eyebrow on the finder eyecup. I like to make solid contact at the eyebrow. It helps to control the camera, and to get sharp photos, especially at slow shutter speeds, with non-IS lenses. Even better, when standing, if you can lean your shoulder on something, like a convenient wall or lamp post.

I need eyeglasses for most applications (age-related focal length changes), and so I need the correct diopter correction on the finder eye piece. I really don't like using eye glasses when shooting a camera that has a finder. OTOH, I need glasses to shoot my RX100, which has no finder, just a rear LCD.

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:47 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · eyecup use

I use the Hoodman eye cup on my 1Dx and 5D 3 all the time. The main reason is to help me see the focus points in the viewfinder especially the 5D3 as I find the focus points a little dim on the 5D3 compared to the 1D X. I don't wear glasses for distance.

Edited on Mar 16, 2014 at 11:16 PM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:09 PM
gilles.t

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · eyecup use

I like to keep my glasses when shooting, to use my left eye to follow action, especially when shooting sports. My glasses stay cleaner and get less scratches with eyecup removed, and it is easier this way to see VF display at bottom and right side.

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:36 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · eyecup use

I also removed the Canon and using the Hoodman eye cup. Keeps stray light hitting my eye.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · eyecup use

I have it on now, but in the 1N / 1Ds / 1Ds2 days always kept it off because I was tired of constantly losing it. The locking mechanism was weaker back then. So I just immediately removed it when I bought the camera new, as a preemptive loss so to speak. Just like a box, it added $500 to the value of the camera

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:04 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · eyecup use

I use an oversized eyecup from hoodman. Makes for a comfy ride and blocks out stray light.

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:41 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · eyecup use

stanj wrote:
I have it on now, but in the 1N / 1Ds / 1Ds2 days always kept it off because I was tired of constantly losing it. The locking mechanism was weaker back then. ...)

Same experience here. I used gaffers tape on mine. Piece about 1/4" wide around three sides; up, across, & down.

Mar 17, 2014 at 06:25 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · eyecup use

If I'm not using an angle finder then yes, I wear glasses that would get scratched without one

Mar 17, 2014 at 07:00 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · eyecup use

I just got laser eye surgery 1 month ago and it's a whole new world for me not using glasses. It's amazing! Still healing however and doc says I wont be at peak sharpness until after about 3 months. It's like having upgraded from a kit lens to zeiss lenses in my eye sockets lol.

Mar 17, 2014 at 07:14 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · eyecup use

mogud wrote:
I use the Hoodman eye cup on my 1Dx and 5D 3 all the time. The main reason is to help me see the focus points in the viewfinder especially the 5D3 as I find the focus points a little dim on the 5D3 compared to the 1D X. I don't wear glasses for distance.

+1 It helps on the days where the sun is trying to find its way into your viewfinder

Matt

Mar 17, 2014 at 08:29 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · eyecup use

Hard to imagine not using the eyecup because like Jim my eyebrow is one of the three points of support for the camera. The IIn IIs era cups were maddening in the way they wouldn't stay on. Later models are actually hard to get off. I've wondered about after market products. I shoot sports with both eyes open - in part to watch for developing play and in no small amount just self defense. I dodged a record 7 foul balls in Friday's softball game including one I caught and 2 that hit me. Asked the visiting coach if they hated cameras. Good laugh. Those of you using 3rd party eye pieces what do you recommend? The black focus points on the 1Dx and 5DIII are lousy when dealing with strong side light.

Robert

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · eyecup use

I use a Hoodman, installed immediately after a weekend of heavy use with the Canon eye "cup" and bruising my eyebrow. Only time I don't use it is when using LiveView, but it's still there.

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:45 PM
Tomy

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · eyecup use

HoodEYE over LensCoat RainCoat. That work good when it's raining.

Mar 17, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · eyecup use

Off, its a pain the the butt with an angle finder.

Mar 17, 2014 at 08:29 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · eyecup use

since switching from stock to hoodmans eye piece, its been a huge improvement in comfort and blocking any light coming into VF.

Don't think I will ever go back to stock. The hoodman can also reverse fold on itself when putting into snug area of camera bag.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM
griffithphoto

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · eyecup use

I usually use the Canon/stock one but I'm looking into a Hoodman.

Mar 23, 2014 at 08:58 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.