New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · RRS Head for Feisol CT 3441

sydaar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS Head for Feisol CT 3441

Looking for advice on which RRS Ballhead would work best for Feisol Tripod. Looking at the BH-30 LR II but concerned about the warnings in red on their website about clearance issues. Any help would be appreciated

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS Head for Feisol CT 3441

The issue is simple, if you are going to use a body plate (flat plate across the bottom only of camera) and will use the drop notch for vertical shots, the full size clamp will not let the camera drop all of the way over into a vertical position. If you are going to use an L plate this will not be an issue. Or if you buy the BH-30 LR with B2-40 LR clamp. it will not be an issue.

This help?

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS Head for Feisol CT 3441

I use a BH-30 LR on my CT 3441S, and it's great!

I interpret the RRS warning (see below) as meaning that the longer QR base 'clamp' on the BH-30 LR II is not able to rotate 90 degrees sideways in the "drop notch", in order to put the camera in portrait mode, because the clamp or the end of the lever hits the "platform" at the top of the tripod. If this is the case, then you have no worries, because the platform on the Feisol is actually slightly smaller in diameter than the base of the BH-30. OTOH, why do you think you need the LR II, instead of the LR?

Anyway, the first attached image below shows my BH-30 LR on Feisol 3441S, with the head rotated 90 degrees in the "drop notch". The second image shows the same setup with simple graphics and annotation to show a larger platrorm and longer clamp. In this simple example, the clamp could not rotate 90 degrees, because it would hit the platform.

The final RRS note about using L-brackets is OK, is demonstrated by the third attached photo. You put the camera in portrait orientation using the L-bracket, and the QR clamp remains horizontal. I likes L-brackets.

* Here's the RRS warning,

RRS writes: "A note about choosing the BH-30 LR II ballhead: The clamp that comes installed on this ballhead is our full-size B2 AS II clamp. This clamp is larger than the clamp that comes installed on the BH-30 LR ballhead. You will experience clearance issues when using the drop notch. The larger B2 AS II clamp cannot freely clear the tripod platform because the head itself has such a low profile. This is not an issue if you only use L-plates, but we strongly urge you to choose the BH-30 LR ballhead instead of the BH-30 LR II ballhead if...Show more

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS Head for Feisol CT 3441

and there is a BH30 available on the B/S site

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:01 PM
sydaar
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS Head for Feisol CT 3441

Thanks much for your help. Much appreciated

Mar 18, 2014 at 06:40 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.