Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

Peterk78
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

So I'm getting a CPS loaner of the Canon 8-15 fisheye lens this week AND I have to be in NYC to pick up my wife this Wed. evening.

I figured I would ask for any ideas of what to shoot. Of course, I can come up with a list, but a thousand heads are better than one! And, I've never shot fisheye images before, so there might be some amazing things I wouldn't think of.

Any ideas welcome. I'm picking her up near central park west, but will have my car, so I am pretty mobile. I'm thinking mostly Manhattan, but then of course there's the Brooklyn, and all the other bridges. So much to shoot, so little time (I'm working all week in NJ where I live, so can't get in another day.)

Thanks,

Peter

PS: I'm posting this in a couple of forums to maximize responses. Hope that's OK.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. However, you are wise to take the opportunity to try out a new way of seeing.

Generally, try getting very close to objects to take advantage of the ability to get an extreme perspective that way. For example, you could shoot the famous bull and bear sculptures on Wall Street, up close and personal so that the nose looms very large, or a horn or paw is very large in comparison to the rest of the beast. Do not try to skin the carcass after you shoot it.

The other angle (hah!) is to take advantage of the curved projection (non-rectilinear), and shoot things so that they look funny as they bulge and curve. You can make very wide steps seem to curve. You can make a rectangular bin appear to bulge.

Mar 16, 2014 at 02:23 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

Fish-eye required specific creativity and vision, this not for everybody in my opinion. I don't think it is important where you are in NY or any other city. Making something interesting is not easy and not everyone will like or undesteand results. I personally got bored of fisheye very quick and sold it.

Anyway, You might try to shot from the top of Empire State with it, it will have some cool effect.

Mar 16, 2014 at 03:58 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

Thanks. I doubt I would buy this, just thought it would be fun to try for a few days.

Can you shoot through the fence/barrier at the top of the empire state building?

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

I think you'll get some interesting results if you look straight up, when you're hemmed in by skyscrapers.

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

Anywhere! Just do it!

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:28 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

Thanks jcolwell. That is one thing I had planned.

@Jeffrey in the end what else can you do. Regardless of what anyone suggests, I'll just get out there and see what grabs my interest.

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:49 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

Peterk78 wrote:
Thanks. I doubt I would buy this, just thought it would be fun to try for a few days.

Can you shoot through the fence/barrier at the top of the empire state building?

Yes, I did many times.

Mar 16, 2014 at 05:01 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

Thanks Breitling65. That's a great idea, if I can arrange to get up there. I'll look into it.

Mar 16, 2014 at 05:07 PM
MDJAK
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What to shoot with 8-15 fisheye in NYC?

http://www.pbase.com/mdjak/image/64859805/original.jpg

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.