Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

Brian Kirksey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

I have a gig coming up and I own a bunch of Think tank gear and what I have is not ideal for this assignment. I thought I would throw this comparison out there.
I am comparing the Retrospective 10 and the Urban Disguise 60 out there for this job. I will be in a night club setting. Both bags hold my Nikon D700 with 70-200 2.8 attached and my other essentials, lens, flashes, batteries, etc..
I like the retro 10 but I am concerned there are no zippers for security reasons. Has anybody ever had anything stolen while shooting with the TT Retro 10? I am concerned about small hands working their way into my bag while I am cruising through the crowds. I started thinking about the Urban Disguise 60. The zippers give me a little more security, maybe, but they also might slow my access down.
I think the retro might not scream photographer as much as well while on my way through the city back to my transportation late at night too.
I might be over processing this comparison.
Thank you all in advance.

BK

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

Can you shoot with just one body, a zoom, and flash? Then just shove some cards and a battery in your pockets along with you keys, phone and cash.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Brian Kirksey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

Thanks for the input Paul.. Regrettably I will be using two additional lens for the events. Most night club shows. Until I acquire a 24-70mm I will be relying on a handful of primes, 24mm 2.8 and my 50mm f1.4, plus the 70-200mm 2.8. So I need a bag or something yet need to mover through crowds. I own a speed belt, Streetwalker Pro backpack, SpeedFreak, not the best fit for the event.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

Brian - The Urban Disguise bags are heavy. I've used the 60, and it's going to be pretty big/heavy to be toting around night clubs. With the gear you listed, you may be able to get by with the UD 35 v2. It looks small but holds more than you'd think. It may not be as easy to shoot out of, but would be more secure? All about trade-offs I suppose. Good luck!

Mar 16, 2014 at 01:07 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

The velcro on the R10 is pretty heavy duty and harder to open than any zipper or clip. Just don't use the silencer and you should be fine. I suppose you could wear it reversed-- with flap flush to your body--for extra security. If people are throwing beer cans and hurling at least you can deploy the rain cover...

Mar 16, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Brian Kirksey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

Sharona-
Thank you so much for the input. I was not aware of the UD60 weight. I am glad with my special scenario you mentioned this. I will research the UD 35.

Gochu-
Thank you for the explanation of the Velcro TT used on the Retro. My mind painted it lighter duty. I should have known better. I am a huge fan of TT and I am sure their engineers thought about that detail. I like the reverse carry method you mentioned..

I just got back, this morning I picked up a TT Retro 10. I could not pass up the price. A gentleman was leaving to Germany and it was a quick sale. After my kids are in bed tonight I will begin strategically start to fill it. Thanks again everybody for their input sand help.

Mar 16, 2014 at 02:08 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

When security in crowds is an issue I tend to reach for my Think Tank waist pack, which I then wear swung round to the front. Looks dorky, but you have full view of your bag at all times and easy access.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

When security in crowds is an issue I tend to reach for my Think Tank waist pack, which I then wear swung round to the front. Looks dorky, but you have full view of your bag at all times and easy access.

This is kinda where I was going, too. If you're there to shoot, rather than sit back and enjoy the show, I'd consider just a couple of small TT lens changers and attach them to your belt. You'll be holding your camera but the lenses will be right there on your belt, and you can position them wherever you want.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:24 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

Steve Wylie wrote:
This is kinda where I was going, too. If you're there to shoot, rather than sit back and enjoy the show, I'd consider just a couple of small TT lens changers and attach them to your belt. You'll be holding your camera but the lenses will be right there on your belt, and you can position them wherever you want.

In addition to the easy access, belt packs worn in the front are a heck of a lot easier than backpacks or shoulder bags (unless worn to the front) when walking through crowds and you may have less "tempted" concert goers sticking their hands into your bag.

Mar 28, 2014 at 02:45 AM
Brian Kirksey
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Think Tank Bag comparison (security)

Thanks guys. Excellent advice.
I know there is no perfect answer but..
I did use my Retro 10 last weekend and it worked pretty well. I did a few lens changes and it was slightly awkward in the dark. I have another gig next weekend and I just might try the belt system.

I do own a TT speed belt, and a few lens changer bags. I would have used this set up initially but I was worried leaving the car, walking to the club or concert, and then after 1am/ 2am walking back to my vehicle sometimes in a underground garage in the city. Maybe a simple drop bag, backpack, pelican case, duffle could be used in conjunction with the belt.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.