FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

adamfuji
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Hi,

I am still undecided whether to buy an X100 or X100S.

Question : Is it true that the X100S files when viewed at 100% exhibit a "smeary / water colour / smudged" effect when using Lightroom. I intend to process Raw. Or does the latest version of LR eliminate this effect ?

Thanks very much for your time.

Adam.

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:42 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Very complex foliage shots (such as tiny heather plants in mid distance) can do, though I only have Lightroom 4.4.

Does it matter at all in actual use? Not to me. At actual view size I don't see it at all.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

I haven't experienced it at all with Lightroom 5 and my X100s. I rarely shoot foliage though which seems to be where people are having some problems. The real question for those would be, "does it show up in prints?".

I do shoot portraits, landscapes (beaches, grass, forrests etc), dogs, cities etc and I am yet to see it.

I wouldn't worry about it. I shoot RAW and have been for years with all my cameras. With the Fuji X100s and my Olympus Em-5 I shoot RAW + JPG but almost always keep just the RAW.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

adamfuji wrote:
Hi,

I am still undecided whether to buy an X100 or X100S.

Question : Is it true that the X100S files when viewed at 100% exhibit a "smeary / water colour / smudged" effect when using Lightroom. I intend to process Raw. Or does the latest version of LR eliminate this effect ?

Thanks very much for your time.

Adam.

LR and the camera jpegs show this more than the other raw converters, but not everyone seems to have the same sensitivity to it. Even at web jpeg sizes, I was unhappy enough with the look of the files that I went back to the old X100 from the X100s, and that wasn't just with foliage, but that doesn't mean you would feel the same.

Here is the most recent of several threads about it:Link

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

FWIW, I was taking some photos outside of the snow/ice the other day with my X100S and when I looked at the images (through LR 4.4) I noticed quite a bit of the effect on the ice. It's a bit disconcerting, but probably not a real problem. It does bug me though.

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:40 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

I guess as Douglas says, not everyone has the same sensitivity to it.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM
c00kiem0nster
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Ian Boys wrote:
Very complex foliage shots (such as tiny heather plants in mid distance) can do, though I only have Lightroom 4.4.

Does it matter at all in actual use? Not to me. At actual view size I don't see it at all.

i second this. i have also experienced this issue, however i use adobe camera raw.
it does not really bother me, but when you are mainly shooting the aforementioned subjects (foliage, etc) you might want to take this into consideration.

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:43 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Here's one from Christmas - you decide ...

Hardknott Pass, Lake District by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Ian Boys wrote:
Here's one from Christmas - you decide ...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2862/11667653384_0e3f866b60_b.jpg
Hardknott Pass, Lake District by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Pretty severe "posterization" in the sky. Specially on the upper right side. The detail in the vegetation is not bad. But overall the file is useless for a large fine art landscape print. For a small print, say up to A3 (11x17) size it should be good.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Ian. Sweet pic.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Do you think that chrome bumper in the foreground might indicate that in fact this file would not be used for a large fine art landscape print in any case? Sort of a churlish comment for a web image, dontcha think?

Sneakyracer wrote:
Pretty severe "posterization" in the sky. Specially on the upper right side. The detail in the vegetation is not bad. But overall the file is useless for a large fine art landscape print. For a small print, say up to A3 (11x17) size it should be good.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

It's cool. I've never taken a fine art landscape print in my life. I take photos that remind me how things looked and felt to me.

Some people sometimes buy them afterwards but that's up to them.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

The beta ACR RC for CC and CS6 looks better to me than past versions. For max detail/quality I use Iridient or Photo Ninja for X-Trans RAW conversion. I've never seen the watercolor effect.

Sal

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

This post from the thread I linked above illustrates the "look" that some of us don't like. Even Photo Ninja has a bit of this weird, painterly/water color effect.link

Mar 18, 2014 at 01:17 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Oy vey. Give up the jihad, Doug.

Mar 18, 2014 at 09:47 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Iridiennt is by far the best and to my eye does not have a water color effect. Note that the link above shows 100% crops. The question of what shows up in prints has not, to my knowledge, been addressed convincingly. I think it is key to keep an eye on what you want. For example, the Fuji image thread has a lot a great photos by various photographers. If you like that "look" then get a x-trans sensor and start shooting. Get Irdient or PN and forget about foliage.

Better yet plan on picking up a $450 X-A1 (bayer sensor) and use that for foliage shots. Is there a better deal for an APC-S sensor with a lens?

Mar 18, 2014 at 09:56 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

Savas K wrote:
Oy vey. Give up the jihad, Doug.

I don't appreciate that at all, and I feel like I've been fairly even keeled on the matter, especially considering that I've owned both cameras. The bottom line is that X-Trans is a trade off of better high ISO performance at the cost of low ISO performance. Whether one sees that or not is another matter, but the OP asked for our opinion, and I've gone back to the original X100 for the image quality reasons the OP is concerned about, so I'd say it is relevant.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

galenapass wrote:
Iridiennt is by far the best and to my eye does not have a water color effect. Note that the link above shows 100% crops. The question of what shows up in prints has not, to my knowledge, been addressed convincingly. I think it is key to keep an eye on what you want. For example, the Fuji image thread has a lot a great photos by various photographers. If you like that "look" then get a x-trans sensor and start shooting. Get Irdient or PN and forget about foliage.

Better yet plan on picking up a $450 X-A1 (bayer
...Show more

Foliage tends to be the major examples shown, but it's not limited to that. I've seen things like roof tiles, concrete patterns, etc. also exhibit this different "look," which some of us may not prefer, even at 50% view. This is especially the case with LR, which is what the OP is asking about.

Mar 19, 2014 at 01:05 AM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

galenapass wrote:

Better yet plan on picking up a $450 X-A1 (bayer
...Show more

Iridient is an excellent converter. I suppose any converter can be set to look like what LR looks like natively for painterly effects. I find Irident's defaults for X-Trans to be pretty good, I only change sharpening to deconvolution. 20x30 prints look very nice, rivaling prints from my FF Canon.

PN does have that nice defringing control for high contrast situations though.

Sal

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FUJI X100 S - Question for Ian Boys and other Fuji users

douglasf13 wrote:
Foliage tends to be the major examples shown, but it's not limited to that. I've seen things like roof tiles, concrete patterns, etc. also exhibit this different "look," which some of us may not prefer, even at 50% view. This is especially the case with LR, which is what the OP is asking about.

Yes, LR looks terrible, IMO as well. If you don't want that then use Iridient, and to a lesser extent PN.

Mar 19, 2014 at 02:44 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.